main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx I am giving up ___________________ for Lent...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003

Oh yeah I dont have a religion so maybe I'll give that up instead.

EDIT: keep it family friendly guys

2. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    knife walking.

Been meaning to quit that hobby anyway

3. chickey

chickey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2002
    What is Lent? it's like 40 days right?

Well, let's see, I had my last fat tuesday drink last night around 11:30, so if it started at midnight, I think I will give up alcohol for 40 days. God knows it's going to save me about $200 bucks in bar tabs, and then I can fly to Phoenix...

4. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm giving up Star Trek... it's easier done than said! ;)

5. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Sanity.

6. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    it's going to save me about $200 bucks in bar tabs

A day?? wow... that's a lot of alcohol...

7. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    PARSEC NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    sistine, that was a really neat post. i liked what you said in it.

PS. i dont do the whole lent thing, so sorry if i screwed up your thread.

9. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Wenchy - sounds like you would like to give up being pregnant for lent. Lucky thing about that, once you give up being pregnant, you don't have to go back to being pregnant 40 days later :D

I was going to try to give up pasta for lent, but since I can't afford much more that Ramen noodles and cheap spagghetti right now, thats a no go. Must think of something else. I like lent and I've been a die hard pagan for over 13 years. I think that the concept spans the religions.

Any ideas on what to give up? Nothing diirrty from you Choad my Dear, I know what you are thinking. [face_devil]

Edit: Edited for grammatical errors, who cares about spelling. 8-}

10. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Do you drink Soda? You could give that up.

Instead of Pasta, (I understand the budget crunch) ...you can get a head of lettuce or pre-bagged salad for the same price...

11. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Sistine, I've tried the salad thing, but pasta lasts longer and you can get more of it, when it is on sale. Seriously, I don't have muchmoney at all to spend on groceries. I try to mooch of my friends as much a possible :D . And thanks for the soda idea, but I don't drink soda unless it is a dire emergency. I'm thinking passibly the Chex mix fromt he vending machine at work? I don;t east it often, but it is a guilty pleasure.

12. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Hmmm...giving up being pregnant for Lent...I like the sound of that. Now if I could just get the kid to cooperate! GAH!

13. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    its almost over wenchy. and since your a nurse, do you know any methods to hurry the kid on out?

14. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Well, technically I do, but the problem is that they are either long shots or too damned expensive if your insurance won't pay for it.

15. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    oh. how about just walking a whole lot? does that work?

Only 1 question post per minute is allowed.

16. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    princess.. since it seems that a particular food item isn't your main indulgence (since it seems you live on pasta), perhaps focusing on giving up something else would work.. while fasting is part of lent, it is meant to be healthy fasting.

sistine.. good comments on page prior. although giving up something solely to diet or improve yourself isn't quite what the spirit of lent entails... Lent is more a time for focusing away from the self and more to God and other people.

as for me, i think i've decided to give up video games, and instead trying to spend time working on helping other people (or get enough sleep)... which means that game of Civ III i started over the weekend will languish for a while.

17. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    I think that I'll give up sleep for lent. It will be easy, since I don;t get much anyway. They I can be psychotic and see pretty, shiny things in the air a la Delirium from Sandman fame.

On a serious note, I have noticed a distinct lack of meditative time in my life, and I think that I will try to pursue that for lent. That way I can worship my way and bring abit of piece to my life. It's a win win situation!

18. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    although giving up something solely to diet or improve yourself isn't quite what the spirit of lent entails...

James...
    My weight is something that makes me feel good about myself... when I feels good about me I am more in touch with the world and those around me. I am not as hard on Moe or friends when they say, "You look good in that." I have a wedding coming up and I want to be in good shape...If so then I wont B%$#@ about how I look in my gown...thus making the bride happy.

Not to mention that when I do lose weight I have a Kicking figure and clothing to go with it...and that brings much joy to the guys at Con!

So sort of in the spirit...I have strayed from the goddess, being negative and nasty because of how I look. Being that it is spring and we are heading into the re-birth I want to sort of be reborn in myself.

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    cool enough!

20. ashliepink

ashliepink Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    Cokes at work, Candy during my break, and TV when I get home. I am will Tivo, 24, and a couple of other shows, but I should survive.....

21. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Birr: Well walking brings on contractions but as soon as you stop so do they unless you're truly in labor. So I could walk my heart out all day...which I do at work...and then sit down and they go away. BLAH! THIS STINKS!

Anyway, I've been thinking about this Lent thing and honestly I really do think it's cool that many of you are participating in it even if you aren't Catholic.

So on a more serious note I've decided to particpate too.

I'm going to give up my preconceptions about the mentally ill for Lent. In my line of work I've had to deal with a lot of truly psychotic people and sometimes it is hard to see past the mental illness and find a person there. That's what I want to do for Lent.

22. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    i'm giving up beef. that makes getting lunch at work a much more difficult task. and perhaps be healthier than, say giving up booze. mmm, booze.

23. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm giving up all forms of sexual activity. LET THE BETS BEGIN! I bet on day 1. [face_laugh]

but really, for lent...I'm giving up giving stuff up for lent.

I was raised lutheran, currently atheist/agnostic...so I've never given anything up for lent. Don't plan to start now.

24. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    apparently i'm giving up my colours for lent... :p :(

25. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    BIG HUG FOR SIDESHOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.