main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I AM MOVING TO LOS ANGELES

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, May 29, 2011.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I did encounter one actual legit thunderstorm this winter in CA. It was weird.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    One of my fondest memories is from when I was in high school, sitting on a rooftop in Mississippi and watching an actual thunder storm roll in from the horizon. It was pretty amazing.

I am pretty sure that I am really going to miss nature when I move to L.A. This makes me sad.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a lot of natural beauty/nature around here. Weather wise, naturally, isn't as diverse.:p

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh yeah trees have 2 colors here. Green and brown.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    How depressing.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    We DO have 4 seasons, though.

Earthquake, Fire, Flood, and Riot. Though we haven't had Riot season in a while.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You forgot smog. Although I guess that's less a season and more a species of landmark. :p

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    And red. Very very quickly.

And yeah, it goes above 80. Expect up to 90 routinely in summer, I'd say. (I work in Hollywood in summer) Which is nice and refreshing compared to the 100s I'll be getting in summer at home.

And I'll see Mickey walking around the park without his head on before anyone sees Tunick at DL, I predict.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This is all okay. As long as it's not 20 degrees for 5 months, I'm good.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Maybe.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I guess I don't realize when it's 90 here because 90 here feels like 80 or so back in MO. I was just there and it was 90 and felt hotter than 111 did here :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    20 degrees? That's "open the window, it's kinda stuffy in here" weather in the upper Midwest. It isn't until about -30 that we actually put on long sleeve shirts and maybe wear a jacket if it's windy out.

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I've lived in LA for years. I'd love to move to Vancouver Canada where they film a great deal of stuff, but don't think I can handle the cold. The best parts of LA are Los Feliz, Burbank, Beverly Hills and probably Sherman Oaks. I used to walk around with my laptop in my hand, at 2am in the morning, in Los Feliz up to my apartment. Living prices are reasonable there as well.

EDIT: The only bad thing about moving to Burbank if you're a filmmaker is the nearby airport. Annoying for the sound!

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Funny, it hasn't seemed to stop Universal, Disney, or Warner Bros.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    How on earth Los Feliz ends up on the same list with Beverly Hills I don't get.

I'm in a more extreme climate than most of LA proper, and in my life, I have had to deal with snow on 3 occasions. And if we're talking about 20 degrees, like, during the DAY and in Fahrenheit.... that is not going to happen.

16. WormieSaber

Oct 22, 2000
    Universal Studios is in Hollywood not Burbank, or sometimes people just say it's in Universal City. Disney and WB have much smaller backlots than Universal which may not mean anything. Though Disney and WB are technically in Burbank, the two are more so in North Hollywood. Disney also has a lot of facilities in Glendale. And, Disney Studios was specifically built to cancel out the sound of the nearby Bob Hope airport further down Burbank; Warners has done the same. The design of the stages and backlot had to be done in a specific way because of the Bob Hope airport. I found one article for you that mentions Disney's construction: http://micechat.com/blogs/samland/3006-history-walt-disney-studios-part-2.html
    The Burbank airport services smaller planes so the further you are from it the better, unless you have the kind of luxury that Disney or WB has you can run into a lot of problems.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    While not in Burbank, Universal Studios isn't in Hollywood, either. Hollywood is south of that. And I think that's been officially defined as being the case, with Barham being part of the northern border of Hollywood and Universal Studios is north of that. So, that's just as wrong as saying it's in Burbank, but at least it and Burbank are on the same side of the hill.
    As for the other two... um, they're either in Burbank or they're not. There's none of this 'technically' stuff since Burbank is an actual city boundary. That and parts of North Hollywood are closer to the airport than parts of Burbank.

18. WormieSaber

Oct 22, 2000
    There is a reason why it is called Universal Studios Hollywood. You can either use Hollywood for their address or Universal City. I know, because I used to send resumes. The address can be, insert Universal City or Hollywood: Universal Studios, 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, CA 91608. I'm feeling like this is a lame argument because I've been living in LA for years now, I don't think Lowbacca realizes it is only a two minute drive to Universal city from Hollywood, where I drived at almost everyday going to work. I know that SoloJ lives in orange County and Lowbacca probably doesn't live in LA either. I don't know of too many productions in Burbank that are not shooting on the sound enhanced lots, or behind sound proofed walls. But if anyone wants to shoot there, be my guest. I'm not saying don't shoot there, I'm just saying, I wouldn't due to the airport. One trip to Fry's electronics with the planes flying every 2 minutes may change your mind. The fact that the studios had to build their sound stages in such a way due to the Bob Hope airport says a lot about the sound problem. Both Warner Brothers and Disney probably shoots more at the Universal Studios lot more so than their own. The further distance I'm sure makes a difference and Universal has a lot has more to offer and is bigger. Not to mention that Disney and WB probably shoot away from Hollywood more frequently, like Canada, Baja or Australia. Chicago was used for Gotham City in the last Batman movie, and for Superman returns, Australia and Sydney Fox's Studios sound stages were used, which are the biggest in Australia and in greater parts of the world.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm heading to work right now in what is, technically, within the bounds of Hollywood. Can see the Hollywood sign and the Chinese Theater from work. Although, can't see Univeral Studios from there (but I drive right past it).

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    :oops: Wormie, I know you think none of the rest of us knows anything about the area, but Lowbacca lives in the Valley and I have lived in Los Angeles proper before. I've also worked at Universal, WB, and NBC. I'm highly familiar with these areas.

Yes, I know Universal isn't in Burbank. It's in Universal City, which no, is not Hollywood. It's Universal City. It's unincorporated, technically. But Hollywood is below the Cahuenga Pass, on the other side of the Hollywood Hills. And actually some of the entrances to Universal off Forrest Lawn are in Burbank.

But none of that's the point. I was just making a half-joking remark about the fact that three of the major studios are located either in Burbank or right next to it, so your remark about it being impossible to shoot there was terribly ironic.

The only major studio that is actually in Hollywood is Paramount.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got a soft spot in my heart/mind for Universal Studios. Not only is it right here in The Valley, but when I had my episode of mental collapse back in 2008, a part of that was spent wondering around/sneaking onto the backlot at Universal Studios. I don't remember everything I did that afternoon/evening, but the things I do remember (walking through the War of the Worlds set, walking by the Psycho house & the cabin used in Dante's Peak) are pleasant memories.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I live in A valley, not The Valley, but went to school in the Valley, and work in LA and the Valley.

I think it's decently ironic that Universal City not only isn't a city in its own right, but isn't part of any city.

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I grew up in Riverside County, so I'm just a neglected desert peasant. :p

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But some day you're gonna win that big podrace, I just know it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yooooo so anyone have any apartment hunting tips? I'm moving from across country and can't visit. I've certainly been doing research on the area and trying to find different apartments, but if anyone has tips or anything I'd totally appreciate it. I've never had an apartment before, let alone had to get one over the internets.