main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I made my whole family cry today

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    We went to Alton Towers, and we saw on the map that there was a ride called "Hex" that none of us had ever been on, and we knew nothing about it. It appeared to be some kind of haunted house so I persuaded my family to come on (My wife, my twin sons who are 5, and our 11-yr old daughter.)

Once it got to the actual ride part, I thought it was bloody excellent, but the rest of the family were all absolutely petrified and all broke down into tears. It's a remarkable feat of engineering, and the illusion it creates is perfect.

Basically, it's a haunted swing ride, where you genuinely feel you are going upside down (not strapped in), whereas in fact you only tilt 15 degrees, but the room itself is built inside a drum and revolves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_-_the_Legend_of_the_Towers

We had no idea what the ride was even about before we sat down, so it came as a genuine shock and surprise, but it was really really good. But might be worth warning small kids before taking them on ;)

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I thought this was going to be a thread about making your fam watch all of your film creations back to back......

....... I love the sound of that ride, and I'm pretty sure that technique is a tortue method in various states around the world.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've been on another ride that generates that feeling of going upsidedown but infact onlytilts you slightly... but I can't remember what it was. Grrr.

Sounds really good. Although, are you sure it wasn't tears of joy at Newcastle going down? Just a big coincidence?

4. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

now try SAW: the ride on thorpe park

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah, don't think the kids would be allowed on that ;)

One of my boys kept saying he wanted to go with me on Oblivion, even after watching it from afar.

So I took him right next to the hole in the ground where it falls through. He stared at it as it plummeted, looked at me and said "Daddy, I don't think I want to go on this now"

6. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    LMAO [face_laugh]

Kids !

7. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    He would not get on anyway due to the height restrictions. That's the problem with Theme Parks, none of them seem to cater fully for all age groups meaning that you really need granny along to look after the little ones.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, I knew that. But I wanted him to decide not to go on rather than tell him he couldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.