main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I*RIDE*TROLLEY ~ Orlando (International Drive) Transportation

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Amidala081499, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedifan256

Jedifan256 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2010
    I plan on picking up a pass. For the week, the pass works out to a little over a $1.00 a day. Between the con, going out to eat at night and Universal for a couple of days, it gives me a little more versatility. I'm used to walking, but the heat and humidity may get to me. Knowing I can just hope on the trolley when needed is worth the $10 for the week.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I may use it a few times depending on the weather and such, but I'll wait to see how things look when I get there, i think.

3. Jinsei

Jinsei Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2010
    This sounds like a good deal. I'm going to have to look into it. I'm renting a car...mainly to get to the hotel, and for late at night...and to visit family at the end of the convention... but $8 for daily travel is much cheaper that 40+ in gas to get everywhere. :p

ON that note, anyone flying in on Wensday and need a ride to their hotel, I'm more than willing to do so. I've looked at the prices for the taxi and airport shuttle service- Which are all pretty decent, but the cheapest seems to be about $30 round trip if booked now, and so I'm more than willing to help out in getting people to their hotels if they are on international drive. :)

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Guys, don't forget that the free shuttle from the hotels to the convention center does NOT run between 11:30am and 5pm. So if you're planning on going back to your hotel room in the middle of the day, or need to leave early to go somewhere, you're gonna need to find another mode of transportation.

Personally, I think I'm going to be using the trolley a lot. I didn't mind the walk to and from my hotel at CIV (a little over a mile away), but it's going to be so hot and humid in Orlando that I just know I won't want to walk because it'll be uncomfortable and I'll end up sweating like crazy. If it was a dry heat, I probably wouldn't mind it. But that Florida humidity is just awful. :p

5. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    I really want to get a photo of the trolley jam-packed with Star Wars fans in costume on their way to the show. Priceless.

6. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    MattDoc, that wont be a problem. Picture taking opportunities every twenty-minutes![face_laugh]

7. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    I bought an I*Ride pass in advance for dinners, etc. during the con, plus I'm staying one extra day after the con. Does anyone know how close the Trolley gets to Universal Studios? On the not-to-scale route maps it looks like "not very" but it's hard to tell.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You might be better off looking into whether your hotel provides a shuttle to Universal. The trolley will only drop you off at the nearest off-site hotel, which is probably a good mile or so away from the park entrance.

9. darkladyhannasolo

darkladyhannasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    Just looked at the I trolley ride site. Did you guys know that there are coupons on the site for places to eat. It pretty good site. I will probably be buying a unlimited pass for my stay in florida. It looks like a good deal.

Looks like you can buy pass at most of the hotels.

10. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    I called I*Ride Trolley directly and was informed that you can get off at the Wet N' Wild park, walk to the corner, turn left, and walk until you run into the park. Supposively, it's less than a mile. I'll either walk it or grab a cab. One mile can't be that expensive . . . can it?

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Of course, if your hotel has complimentary shuttle rides to Universal, it would be cheaper and most likely faster.

If not, maybe that's not so bad.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    might be an idea to check the prices for next yeat, but the I-Ride was a pretty good thing to know about.

13. JohnnyRose

JohnnyRose Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2011
    My experience on the shuttles last year was that in the time it took for a shuttle to come around, I was able to walk all the way from the Embassy Suites to the Convention Center without seeing a single shuttle drive by, so I ended up walking back and forth almost the entire weekend. Perhaps it was just my bad timing, but this is something to consider when it comes to deciding what time you will head there each morning and how far you plan on booking your hotel from the event.

14. Vote_Snaplaunce

Vote_Snaplaunce Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2011
    I gotta say, I bought week long passes for this last year, and I didn't think it was really worth it. It only goes up and down International Drive, makes stops only every 20 minutes, and stops running at 10 or so, so if you need to get somewhere after that, you're out of luck. The worst problem though, is that so many people are using it, almost every trolley is completely full. There were several times when a trolley had to pass our stop by because they just couldn't hold any more people. Most other times it was very cramped and you had to stand the whole ride. The times when there weren't so many people, it was fine though.

Also, it does not stop at Universal Studios, even though it looks on the map like it does. We tried to take it to Universal, and got off at what we thought was the right stop, and wandered around for a hour looking for Universal before realizing there was no getting there on foot.

The trolley is ok for what it is, but I'll be renting a car next year, especially b/c I'll be going to Disney as well.

15. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    I used the I-Ride Trolley throughout my stay at CV.
    Went from Wet N' Wild all the way to Sea World.
    I loved it!
    Will be using it again at CVI!

16. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    There is a sidewalk all the way up to Universal, just get off at Universal Boulevard. It is a little less than a mile to walk. My friends and I did it a couple of times and we saw several others (also on foot) on the way.

17. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    Absolutely. It is doable.

18. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    I bought the 5-day pass at C-V and used it a few times. But I also often saw trolleys that were so full that the driver wouldn't even stop. He would just wave a sort of "Another one is behind me" hand signal as he went by. If you aren't able to walk (have kids, too hot, etc.), you may find that it takes a while to get on the trolley during commuter hours.

I was still glad I bought the pass.

19. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    Oh, and the trolleys are air conditioned. W00t!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.