main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Ideas For Making this Board Better***

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by heels1785 , Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Alright, this is something I've considered for a long time, and hopefully will get some feedback on.

The premiere Fan Audio boards are on Galactic Senate, there's no doubt about that, however the lack of participation and life on this board really concerns me, especially since TFN is supposedly the leading SW fan site on the net.

Thus, I'd like to take in some ideas on how we can boost participation through various means for this particular board and also make it better in other facets.

Starting off, I think we should try to get someone to make a banner, because the one currently up here is dull, boring, and looks like it's been here for the past 5 years. Secondly, I think we should try working on some exposure for this board through the podcast boom, because the fans are out there, I think that some of the aura TFN has for some of the crazies that tend frequent the boards drive many sensible fans away. We all have our issues with everything, but it really saddens me to see this board in this condition when the genre itself is booming and thriving so much at this point, it just doesn't seem logical.

I'd like to see what some people think, and if we get some good ideas, I'll be happy to go to Comms to voice our concerns. Thanks.

--Andrew,
    Host, "Star Wars: In The Beginning" (starwarsfanworks.com)

2. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I think it boils down to TFN being negative regarding the whole concept that initially proposed. FanFilms.com wanted no part of it really, and TFN in general wasn't being much help either despite having plenty of areas of the site which are pretty much dead ends with little to no activity.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure much can be done short of working on a new header unless TFN steps up to the plate to do something about fan audio.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hmm, perhaps I could go to Sapient or someone to try to talk about it.

Also, I mean, TFN did their TFN Podcast, so I don't think theyre 100 percent against Fan Audio, so there may be some glimmer of hope.

4. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    There definitelly is something to do with these boards, However it always comes down to a question of time.

Sure we can activelly make an effort to advertise these boards. I'll even start pushing it more and more over on SWD.

Now the question is what can we do to make these boards active week after week?

5. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I think TFN missed the boat. Unless they step up to the plate and do SOMETHING to bring more attention to the genre short of just a message board, then there will be hardly any interest here since most if not all of the community has moved to starwarsfanworks.com.

That's just the reality of the situation really. If they created an entire section of the site devoted to audio where you could download fan audio dramas, podcasts, etc...then that might be a start. But until they do, starwarsfanworks.com is the only real option if you want to get noticed.

6. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Well, for starters, you could have compititions. This place it sounds has room for both pod-casts and audio. How about compititions with film clips like Fan Films is doing. That would keep people over here. Prizes, I don't know.

One thing that might help out a lot is to have a database of quality sound effects for use. These could be used for all sorts of different things. I'm not sure where we could have this, but to find star wars sounds and other sci-fi effects that are worth anything for free is a pain in the neck. Fan Films has a database, but again, quality is an issue.

As far as radio shows go, you have to advertize a little bit. I don't think many people are even aware of this board. It would help to have it placed in the drop down menu, as I don't see it there. I might just be blind though. The fan audio has a lot of potential, but because Fan Films is so prevolent, I think a lot of people blend these forums together. Since fan films is more known, there is a lot of Audio stuff that goes on there instead of here where it should be.

Dramas have a lot of potential also. I think the idea of having dramas is a lot more appealing than film work, since it takes so many factors to get film to be pulled off correctly. THe first step is to try and convince TFN they want it. THis is a bad time though. now that Sci-fi 3d is getting the plug pulled on them for cost reasons, them hosting something like this doesn't seem like a safe bet.

THe banner idea is great though. Propose it to an administrator. Comms has no trouble keeping bannar competitions up.

Anyway, I'm not all too firmiliar with this board. I need to spend a little more time looking to think about what we could do.

~JW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.