main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[IMPORTANT] Plans for 2011

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by moosemousse, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, it's the last year before the year of the apocalypse (2012), and these boards are quite quite dead. It seems to me that the few members we have are sprinkled far and wide, and that many former members have moved out of the region.

I'm not good with flyers and the flyer competition I tried to do got no results, but if anyone does want to do a flyer then please do so. The flyer competition thread has been locked but it contains all relevant details. These could be given to Uni students, which would be great as they can do meets at their uni. There only needs to be three people and photographic evidence to make it an official meet.

Meet ups would be cool as officially we need to have three a year to remain active. I think Cobranaconda lives near Salisbury still, as do I. If we can find another member in the Salisbury area then we can do meets and stuff regularly. I also go to London once every few months, so if we can find some members near London we could do meets there.

Twinning was suggested. It might be a good idea to get more users coming here. Any thoughts and suggestions as to which other Fan Force we could twin with, or on twinning in general?

Does anyone have anything else they'd like to mention? Does anyone have any questions about anything?

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    If we merge with London it might solve some problems. Dunno what's the deal with CRship for merged chapters though, so dunno whether you and Richie would both still be CR or one would have to quit. It would make it easier to do meets and such though as London is a decent place to do meets. Trying to organise people to come to some of the backwaters down south though is quite difficult.

But yea, for the time being I'm still around Salisbury.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The best chance I have of meets is events, really, such as Collectormania Milton Keynes, I can't really travel too far, though occasionally I do get a hankering for Forbidden Planet and trek down to London. :cool:

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Convention events are the common metting point, but there are other things that could be done. The trouble is money and distance and work/university commitments. I work weekends atm so I only book off the odd day in the year when an event like Collectormania is on.

Chapter merging could work, but it was done for Midlands & Wales and that didn't do very much.

More general social meets must be encouraged, but finding a place and something everyone wants to do is the tricky bit.

5. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, can't really compare it to Midlands/Wales merge. That was merging one massive tract of mostly empty land with another big tract of land with not a great deal of people on outside Brum. This is taking the biggest city in the UK and trying to merge it with a massive tract of land with no one in :p

Because really, if you're in the South then you can get to London. If you're in Pontypridd, it might take a bit more effort to get to Derby :p

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Chapter merging is something we could definitely look into, just as long as I get to stay blue. ;)

Milton Keynes is really hard for me to get to as I'd have to go to as I'd have to go to London first. Lots of trains go through Salisbury though, and as there are two of us already there we'd just need someone else to have an official meet. Problem is getting people to turn up or even say they can't make it.

To be honest, I'm not looking to actually do anything until the new year. I think everyone is far too busy and the weather is making things difficult for all. I'll put a message out on facebook or something. I keep forgetting about the group.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You're a group admin, you have the power!!!

There are a South members who are either not interested in attending FanForce meets (dewbackrider88, Mustafar_66) or who don't really post here anymore and who may still be listed in the facebook group. The thing is finding other members who are willing to be active and frequent meet attenders.

I can go to various things, as can Amon_Amarth & Twinky_Stryder sometimes. If we merge that will sort meet numbers for a combined chapter, but as a lone chapter including London members would probably not be sufficient.

But tbh, the rule for number of meets a year has been breached by various chapters here a few times and nothing has actually happened, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part of the ruling.

8. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, I don't think we've managed three meets in one year since I was blue so yea :p

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think one me was me, Richie, and Darwin's beard. Not sure how that was ok, but still. :p

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    As a merged chapter we would get more meets. Myself and timbolton from FFNorth were at most events this year and Twinky_Stryder was at a few aswell. With both of you added plus the odd Northern member coming along sometimes we should get some decent meet turnout.

We should organise a social get together sometime, like when we had the Grand Day Out. I just got Clone Wars series 2 on DVD plus various others stuff as I'm sure others have too. If we can find a good mutual meeting point we can have a gathering and watch Star Wars things or whatever else we feel like.

11. Kaidin_Moonwood

Kaidin_Moonwood Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2011
    Is there anywhere else other than this forum where you post details of gatherings like Facebook, Twitter etc.
    I'm new to all this so any info would be helpful.
    I'm in the Oxford area.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    We do have a facebook page for the whole UK Fan Force, though I forget the URL for it right now. I don't think we have an official twitter account set up though, but maybe we could do something about that. [face_thinking]

The best thing to do is just to post here. If there isn't a topic you want to post in then you can always start one. :)

Also, if anyone wants to have a meet at my place we could always watch Star Wars stuff and/or play some 360 games. I only have Halo Reach and the Star Wars films on DVD though.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I have Chad Vader & two series of The Clone Wars on DVD if that helps. I only have PC games but I can bring my DSi in order to do linkup play with whoever brings one.

Also, here is the link for the facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=319023707835
    Be sure to state your username on the wall so we know who you are.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ahh, Chad Vader, that's a must see! :D

I'll have my DS too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.