main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends In the Blink of an Eye - (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon) - Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: In the Blink of an Eye

Author: bek (a.k.a. Bekah_K)

Genre: AU

Characters: Obi-Wan ? 19 years of age, Qui-Gon, Clee and others

Summary: Qui-Gon is sent on a mission with other Jedi that Padawans are not allowed to accompany them on. Obi-Wan doesn?t take the time away from his master well and learns that even he isn?t as perfect as he would like to be.

Disclaimer: The characters (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda) belong to Lucas, (Clee Rhara, Bruck Chun) belong to Watson, and (Corwin Jai, Zarek Callen) are my creation. I make no profit from this. It?s just a hobby.

Author's Note: This is a little bunny that nibbled at first and upon seeing that I was ignoring it as I couldn't find a way to write it, decided to bite hard. It didn't come out the way I saw it envisioned in my mind's eye, and I'm not even sure it has a plot exactly or makes sense for that matter; however, it was enjoyable to write and I hope you enjoy reading it. :)

In the Blink of an Eye

?Thank you for allowing Obi-Wan to stay with you. I?m not sure how long this mission will last and I thought it best that he didn?t stay alone in our quarters.? Qui-Gon smiled appreciatively as he walked toward the door.

?It?s no problem, I assure you. Your padawan is well mannered and frankly he?s a good influence on Garen.? Clee paused just inside the doorway as Qui-Gon turned to bid her farewell. Noticing the creases on his forehead, she asked, ?What is it??

?Obi-Wan isn?t happy about being left behind. He?s taking it harder than usual.?

?The Council has good reason in forbidding the padawans to accompany all of you on this mission, Qui. The conflict you are going into is something they have not received enough training for, at least not yet. It?s for their own safety.?

Qui-Gon looked back toward padawan Muln?s room before stepping outside the door. ?I know. I just wish he would have talked to me.?

?There will be plenty time to clear the air when you return.? Clee jabbed her finger into his chest punctuating each word to make sure he got the point.

His eyes reluctantly drew away from the closed bedroom door to focus on Clee. ?You?re right of course.?

?Of course!? She agreed, trying to keep the air light between them as she too was worried for all of the Jedi who had been chosen for this mission.

X

Ten Months Later

The door flew open as Obi-Wan left the gymnasium still wearing his workout clothes and holding his lightsaber in his right hand. Walking quickly down the corridor, he briefly glanced over his shoulder when he heard his name being called.

?Obi-Wan!?

He didn?t stop but did slow his pace a bit to give his friend a chance to catch up. ?What was that about??

Stopping in an alcove, he turned toward Garen. ?The tournament is in two weeks and they insist on keeping me in the Padawan?s bracket. I?m better than that and they know it! I can hold my own against most of the Knights teaching that class if not best them! I?m tired of being held back.?

?They?re not holding you back, Obi. They?re placing you where you?re most needed. The padawan?s need someone who can keep them afloat this season. If you go into the Knights circle then we won?t stand a chance.?

Obi-Wan paced the small area before stopping to lean against the wall. He didn?t reply to his friend?s logic, just nodded and rested his head against the partition behind him.

Sensing that his friend?s thoughts were miles away from the competition, Garen nudged in another direction. ?He?ll be back in a couple of months. His last message to you said as much.?

Obi-Wan closed his eyes. Shaking his head, he responded; his voice quiet, ?There was another message, he?s being held over for another cycle.?

?Six more months?? Garen asked in disbelief. ?He?s one of a few that?s been there the longest, what are they thinking?? Garen took a few steps and sat down, running a hand through his short spiked hair. ?That?s why you?ve been so on edge.?

Obi-Wan didn?t

2. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wonderfully done =D=

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    bek - this was beautifully written, so sad, but real - you moved me to tears when Qui and Obi were reunited once more. I'm glad it had a happy ending!
    =D=

4. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Wonderful! Brillant! Nice Job! =D= @};- =D= @};-

5. Mind_Tricked

Mind_Tricked Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    That was a wonderful idea! (I'm glad you decided not to let this plot bunny run away)

=D=

I enjoyed every single sentence!

To be honest, with some of the things I was told I don?t know whether to reprimand you for your behavior or to pat you on the back and say welcome to my world.
    -that was great!

and the ending was perfect..
    A sense of security wrapped itself around Obi-Wan causing his eyelids to feel weighted and heavy.

awesome job!

6. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Oh that was brilliant! I loved how you created such a believable situation to why Obi would react like that! Well done! I loved the reunion scene!
    =D==D==D=

7. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm very rarely moved to tears, but that reunion invoked far more than I would normally admit. Well done. =D=

8. aden

aden Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2005

A nod was his only answer. ?You haven?t been taking care of yourself, padawan. And from what I?ve heard, you?ve been keeping the Order on its toes while I?ve been away. To be honest, with some of the things I was told I don?t know whether to reprimand you for your behavior or to pat you on the back and say welcome to my world.?
    [face_laugh]

That was brilliant, bek. [face_worried] made my heart get all twisted up.

=D=

9. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Awww, I loved that. [face_love]

Poor Obi-Wan, I felt so bad for him having to worry about his Master every day for eighteen months! :eek: No wonder he sort of lost his way for a little while there. :(

I really loved the reunion. [face_love] His breaths became fast and irregular, his eyes widening in disbelief yet relief washed over his features. His eyes stung from the joy that bubbled within him. ?Master??

And then I loved Qui's reaction to Obi's behavior, it's so like him. A nod was his only answer. ?You haven?t been taking care of yourself, padawan. And from what I?ve heard, you?ve been keeping the Order on its toes while I?ve been away. To be honest, with some of the things I was told I don?t know whether to reprimand you for your behavior or to pat you on the back and say welcome to my world.? [face_laugh]

Great story, bek! :D

10. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awww, that was so sweet! Poor Obi-Wan, missing his master for a year and a half. No wonder he started getting so unruly, it has to be hard dealing with that. Love how Qui-Gon dealt with Obi-Wan. :)

Beautiful job!

11. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wow, what a rough experience. I felt horrible for both of them. Eighteen months is a really, really long time! Especially when you're talking about a still-growing young man. Beautifully written. It was so wonderful when they were finally back together again, though I could feel Qui-Gon's sadness for the time that was lost.

Brava! A beautiful and moving vignette.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was really sweet. Poor Obi-Wan really needed his Master and the Council should have found someone else to go!

Good job.

13. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Ah, nice work. I loved the understatedness of the whole thing, and the affection they share is obvious in their gestures. Great piece. [face_love]

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Eighteen months is an unreaonable amount of time for a master to be gone. Might as well have place Obi-Wan with another master outright. Is it any wonder that the yiung man would act out so?

Nicely done viggie bek!

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very nice!=D=

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...that was really sweet.

Poor Obi-Wan, so worried about Qui-Gon. I really liked their heart-to-heart at the end.

I didn?t sneak, master. I walked out the front doors.?

?Ow!? Obi-Wan backed away while rubbing at his knee.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Mouth off to Yoda you should not!

Great job on this!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    ?I didn?t sneak, master. I walked out the front doors.?

[face_laugh] Obi-Wan is a smarty-pants!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.