main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Big grats Luke. Things seem to really be taking off for you!

2. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
  3. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    oh, and i forgot to add....i got to have a cameo in one of the Iwo jima scenes. It was awesome[face_hypnotized]

4. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Hah, sounds awesome Luke :)

Anywho, fun times in the office yesterday - I, of course, was resisting the urge to curl up under my desk and take an extended kip and one of my work collegues came in. I can't say I'm fond of the guy, and generally he's a bit of a prat, but when it comes to discussing games he and I get along.

So he came in and informed me that in a bout of drunken consumerism, he had finally bought the Orange Box online and was playing Portal (which he deemed "good") but couldn't get past the puzzle where you have to fling yourself over the glass barricade.

(Ahem, You Know You're a Geek When...) So I spent the next few minutes merrily mapping out the way to do it via the whiteboard and different coloured markers to represent the portals and Chell's trajectory through them.

Teehee.

Today has been fairly same-old same-old, but I did get a call from the loan guys telling me they'd recieved my dealer's invoice, asking for a few extra details, and that the contract stuff should be sent out to my local branch for signing in the next few days. YEY.

5. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Started my new shifts this week, 5 days a week but 930-230, or 920-220ish if I can manage it in order to not drive angry on the way to school.

Must say, I'm liking it..aware my opinion may change as the novelty wears off but not too bad.

Normal day thus far:
    Arrive at 920ish, cover the phones for 10 or 20 minutes for staff morning tea
    (it's the government, we get morning and arvo tea). Listen to general banter and venting of public servants about the stupid beaurocratic changes we're all currently dealing with. Get goss about why who's leaving when and whether their boyfriend really did say THAT!..and not be on the phone with the masses for long enough to want to kill.

Do some other stuff for a couple of hours- assist Reception, book appointments, help anyone who needs catching up.

Cover two lunches and have a break myself between 12 and 1 or so. Only get one ten minute break but it's enough to walk to canteen, get sandwich made as I'm way to busy and lazy in the morning. Complain about price of sandwhich and walk back.

An hour or so of work wherever I'm needed, or if not really needed, finding things for myself to do... or generally use my well tested Government skills of looking busy. It's me though, I usually find something to do.

Head to the phones to cover arvo tea on the way out if needed.

Leave about 220 to get to school on time.

Not too bad really! Little responsibility. Everyone likes me being there as I'm covering or helping them when they didn't get assisted before. And I can make sugggestions in a very covert way in about 3 different work areas to improve systems that no-one listened to me about before.

Actually I'm kinda like a ninja..in a Qld Gov uniform..with nothing around my face..and not real quiet.. But sorta.

I even had a slight hangover today and still didn't have a problem LOL

I'll post in a fortnight when I'm back to hating it! :)

6. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    My team (at work) has instigated plan 'Big D', aimed at the removal of the other team leader (as in not out team leader).

She's a nasty cow who always waits til our team leader is absent and then nitpicks everything we do. And when you give her some back, she gets the hump and complains to our team leader. Well, thanks to the miracle of email, everytime she takes a nip at one of us we send an emai to our team leader. Not 'she has to go!' type email, just a 'this happened, and I did not like it' type email. Subtle stuff, you know. But amassing daily.

She has to go.

(work games are fun)

7. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Picnic_chocolate.jpg/250px-Picnic_chocolate.jpg]
    From time to time, my job puts me in direct contact with some bona-fide low points in Human behaviour. Well it indeed found a new watermark one overcast afternoon past.. When I got the call to a store regarding a present that had been left on it's pristine parquetry. Some cretin, who I'm sure purports to being of our species.. Had left a piece of him/her self within the unfortunate and consequently gag-inducing confines of the tenancy. A little larger than a Picnic bar, and exponentially less appetising... I think you get the idea of which 'piece' I'm talking about. Yet for all it's steaming repugnance, I am willing to make the call that it was probably the better piece. Air(and the right to inhale it), is seriously too good for some people. If that sounds extreme, I do apologise... but try spending an afternoon bagging up Human excrement, then get back to me.
    [face_plain]

8. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    :( That certainly doesn't sound like fun CJ :(

9. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Well I am still working in the security industry as of now, just started uni again but this time I'm going to QUT (GP) and studying a bachelor of biotechnology innovation. Still living on my own. Not much has changed except now I am mostly focussed on completing my degree.

10. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    OMG U!

11. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Wow I have a lot to catch up on!

Congrats Luke, it really sounds like things are going great for you! Best of luck with the rest of the shoot and best of luck with future stuff! :D

Jodie it sounds like work is really working for you :D That's fantastic! yay!

Hahaha sounds like fun Mel, hope it works!

Urgh Hambo, I certainly wouldn't want that job! Though I can sorta relate in that I've had to clean up vomit and urine when I worked at Maccas. YUK!

As for me, well I'm still an unemployed bum :( You wouldn't think it would be that hard to find a casual job, but it is! They all want casuals who are essentially available for full time hours, during the week. Hmmm yeah real smart. Sooooo not gonna happen. So I'm resorting to selling off my costumes. Sold my jedi (though that money went towards Brisnova), sold my clone armour :_| though I haven't received the payment yet, still waiting to hear back from the guy, and I'm about to put a whole lot of other costumes that I'm never going to wear again up for sale. *sigh*

I rang up TAFE people yesterday to sort out what sort of credit I can get for my experience towards the Cert IV. The Cert IV (in clothing production/fashion design) is the pre-requisite to the Diploma of costume. I had been told that it was useless for me to do the Cert, so I need to find out if I can get credit for the Cert. *fingers crossed* I will only have to do one semester of the Cert, and then go straight into the Dip. *fingers crossed*!!! But of course the lady I need to speak to is on holidays for the next week. So I'm still in a state of limbo about the whole thing.

Hoping to be able to set up some sort of temporary sewing area (until I'm allowed to set it up in the loft *sigh* family politics....) so I can at least make a few more things to sell so I don't have to rely on Matt and his mother to feed me.

12. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Work are sending me to Sydney next month for some training...I have a wee bit of time spare, so I might visit this:
    Australian Museum's new Dinosaur exhibit.

Although the 11 storey Sydney IMAX is still there...world's biggest cinema screen...=P~

13. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Awww man... I wanna go see the Dinosaurs :( So not fair.

14. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Is this the one that was in Brisbane two or three years back?

15. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Dinosaurs= cool..maybe we should all follow you down Goobs and spend the weekend.

My work week went well. Somthing wrong here I dont know about?? Almost enjoying going. EEK!

Someone got sick today and they asked me to work tomorrow morning and I even said yes! Crikeys. Still, that's just for the money. Don't love it that much.

Ummm...Got new work pants too. FASCINATING

Ends weekly summary

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I don't think it is - that was chinese dinosaurs - no t-rex, no steg - it was a cool exhibit but doesn't seem as comprehensuve.

17. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, this morning I got audibly angry at some idiotic school children... Eep.

I was standing at a crossing waiting for the green light to walk, as one does - and I watched these three boys almost walk out and get hit by traffic no less than three times. A fourth time two of the boys finally made a break for it in a lull in the traffic, and I couldn't help but exclaim, "FFS! Wait for the lights!" [face_hypnotized]

If you're going to jaywalk anyway, why the frack are you bothering to wait at a crossing? GAAH. I honestly think sometimes people are stupid just because they know it physically hurts my brain to watch them be as such.

18. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Idiots vs Automobiles = Pretty Colours. [face_mischief]

19. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Ooooh do let us know, because Matt and I would love to catch up with you whilst you're here!

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Every day I realise that I'm actually living in a Dilbert comic and this depresses me. The fight to get a decent workspace when we move to the valley continues. There was a glimmer of hope when we took a look around the building today - maybe we'd get to sit in the nice area with windows and natural light, but no. Our regional managers want to lock us in a subterranian dungeon so that they don't have to walk an extra 20 metres or some absolute bollocks like that.

I just sat listening to one of the managers having a temper tantrum where he related that the BSS guys (that's us) needed to be located close by to the QFRS guys (the guys we work for and their repsective managers), and showed no real concern for our actual working conditions. They just don't care. They wouldn't care if we were in a broom closet, just so long as we were close enough to control.

Bah, I dunno. I'm looking forward to the valley move - but geezuz - I'm just sick of this.

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Tueday nights finally lived up to it's reputation of hectic; the place was packed with people and a couple of the crazies I've been worrying about encountering finally turned up. Fortunately, they were easy enough to deal with and get rid of, though the people at the front desk copped a bit of abuse on the way out.

What made it really weird was that the Griffith Law School had a bunch of students to observe that night, so I had a student following me around all night and watching me work. Since I barely know what I'm doing, I find the concept of someone observing me with the aim of learning something themselves hilarious. On the flipside, having a Girl Friday to do the gopher work was neat.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Sydney is not too bad. A few degrees cooler, double-decker trains, landmarks that are larger than life. Been a while since I'd been here last, and yeah. From a Brisvegan, I have to say: big.

Work stuff is straight forward, plowing through it. Train takes 15 mins to the city.
    Had a yarn with the big boss man yesterday. Nice bloke. Despite my course being aimed at the under 6 months experience types, I'm learning some new things. The hard stuff's yet to come. But hey, they're accomodating us, feeding us lunch and reimbursing $44 for food each day outside of that. Can't complain.

Might try and see a Bondi sunrise before work one morning...
    Goobs out.

23. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    You're calling this bludge week work???? really ;)

Miss you.

I worked a whole 8 hour shift today a Reception. Horrible personal stuff going on for work colleagues so we're all banding together and working extra where we can. Reception Desk..different world though and even got yelled at in the " I'd heard and read about the stupidity ad incompentencies of Qld Health but now I'm experiencing it first hand!" directed right at me becasue she didn't get a letter we posted changing her appoitment. Entirely my fault. Anyway, didn't really bother me too much. Wouldn't have helped to argue and I do a bloody god job.

Lost a staff member as he couldn't deal with teh stress of working at the desk, and actually started training someone with Medical Reception experience..wow!!!

Work continues

24. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    Well, i'm home in qld. Flew in last night after finishing wraping the department down there.
    It's good to be home and back in the sun! On the other hand it does feel quite strange to have been away for so long and doing the same thing every day with no real life and now to be back home to a little more quite life....weird.

anywho, I'll catch up with you soon guys!

25. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Hmm, what have I been doing at work recently... Taking my bad mood out on everyone! Hooray!

EDIT: Where are those [sarcasm] tags when you need them???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.