main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph INCEPTION- Christopher (BWONNNNG) Nolan's (BWONNNNG) new (BWONNG) film (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    To be honest I'm not sure what I'm saying, as I only read about this online this afternoon... but there are a few websites (if you Google it) that claim Cobb is wearing his wedding ring in every dream scene, and not wearing it in any 'real world' scene. If it's not his totem, then it's dream / non-dream tell, maybe? Something to chew on, perhaps?

EDIT: Isn't the spinning top flawed as a totem, since his wife had used it before him? Perhaps this makes the scenes where Cobb is using the top more about his own inner turmoil than truly telling the audience what's what.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    why are we still highlighting to read?

3. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Some of us haven't seen the movie yet Eeth! And we don't want to be spoiled!

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Screw you guys! The movie has been out long enough.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Rosebud is the sled.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Darth Vader is Luke's father

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No. That's impossible.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  9. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    [image=http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090402/Last-Newhart-bob_l.jpg]

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Edit: Nevermind.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In the first place, isn't the purpose of a totem to distinguish between "dream" and "non-dream" states? I don't understand the distinction you're making. Secondly, no. The fact that the totem had a prior owner doesn't necessarily make it flawed. All that's required for an effective totem is that you make it's qualities irreplicable, such that only you can no how to use it to distinguish dreams from reality. Given that the only other person who knew the details of his totem is deceased, the secret is still safe.

Though this discussion leads to yet another circular point in the movie. Wouldn't someone's totem be a pretty obvious secret to steal from someone during a dream? Then once you had stolen their totem, your power over them would be potentially limitless. If the whole premise of this technology is the ability to snatch things out of people's mind, it's pretty lame to use "I only keep it in my head" as a defense. That's like saying you'll defend against 6-character encryption crackers by having a 6-character password.

12. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    The totem is used to distinguish between 'real life/your own dream' and 'someone else's dream', right?

Maybe he has the ring in the dreams because he has unresolved guilt about his deceased wife but once that's gone so is the ring in the dreams?

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I suppose all I'm saying is that whether or not Cobb is wearing his wedding ring at the end is the key to establishing whether or not he is dreaming. I appreciate that, largely, that isn't as important as Cobb's arc (man obsessed with what's real to man only interested in seeing his kids again - he leaves the top spinning because the answer is no longer important)... but since the question over whether he was dreaming or not seemed to exercise so many minds it felt like a good solution.

As for stealing someone's totem in a dream... I expect there might be people who would try to make it their business to steal a totem just as there are people (in our real world, and in the real world of Inception) who want to steal your keys or access your bank accounts... but all the dreams setup by Cobb & Co. are pretty secure... i.e. in most (almost all?) cases the victim is unaware of their predicament and the 'real world' setup is tightly controlled. So maybe there's scope for an Inception EU where people do make it their business to steal totems in a more 'grubby' underworld version of what Cobb does? I expect it could all get very messy.

But what if Cobb is kidnapped and put to sleep by some baddie who wants to steal his totem. Well... maybe that's just tough ****? Maybe the lives these peple lead leave them with little choice but to be constantly on high alert. The price they pay, etc... Remember, the people like Cobb we see in Inception are those at the very top of the tree. They won't put themselves at risk - I imagine - if the circumstances weren't (in some respects) 'safe'. Maybe.... :confused:

Alternatively, maybe objects in the dream don't necessarily share the same properties in a dream as they do out of it, i.e. Cobb's spinning top doesn't topple in the dream, and thus it can't be quite the same as the real top, which will eventually topple. One's totem might be projected incorrectly in the dream, as that's how each individual tells the difference between the real world and a dream world. Maybe... :confused: :p

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Computer reconstructs movie scenes from brain scans

A step in the direction to Incpetion.

People shouldn't be worried about others secretly eavesdropping on their thoughts in the near future, since the technique requires a person to spend long periods in an MRI machine, he noted.

Another expert said he expected any mind-reading capability would appear only far in the future.

For now, the reconstructed movie clips are only crude representations, loosely mimicking shapes and movement, but not nearly detailed enough to show that a blurry human-like figure represents the actor Steve Martin, for example.

The new work was published online Thursday by the journal Current Biology. It's a step beyond previous work that produced similar results with still images.

15. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    [image=http://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/inception-gif.gif]

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://inception.davepedu.com/