main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii Independence Day, 04 July 2004

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by mac-nut, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    What are you folks doing for Independence Day? I haven't heard from the 501st, so am assuming they are doing individual stuff. Most of those in our FF are doing their own family activities, and going to the Schofield celebration, so am not planning anything special for my family.

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2001
    the Pearl Harbor block party!!!!! after we go to a friend's house for a late lunch/early dinner we're off to the base for all the fun. it sounds like a ton o fun! and with all the RIMPAC people going to be there, it is going to be crowded! :eek:

3. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    lotz of sunscreen and water this weekend, wear a ball cap to shade sun/keep head from getting sunburned. had a client last week with what looked like lst or 2nd degree scalp burns, cuz he stayed out too long in the sun without a hat on......

4. Nanashi

Aug 15, 2001
    cripes! i've never been burnt on my head. i got a lil red a couple of weekends ago because we went to JICNIC and i was more worried about my baby getting burnt than me! it faded to a tan in a couple of days. we're not going out until probably 5pm or later so the sun won't be a huge deal :D

5. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    After shopping at Hickam today, we drove by Battleship Row to oooooooo and ahhhhhhhh at the destroyers and other ships. Then, tonight we drove down Kam Hwy and across the Ford Island bridge to get a better look at the John Stennis carrier with all the planes on her top deck. Saw some subs, too. All the ships are flying their flags. The Aussie ship has a red kangaroo painted on it. :D
    they were setting up Merry's Point for tomorrow. It's going to be a scorcher, so wear a hat. Lotz of sunscreen on baby, and keep baby in the stroller with the canopy over her. You can always throw a cloth diaper or a baby afghan over the canopy to drape over like a curtain when the sun gets low in the sky but still hot and glaring on baby. We just got home from NEX abit ago and the sun was still glaring.

6. Nanashi

Aug 15, 2001
    yeah we went for our walk yesterday and it was hot! i'm really excited to get to see the stennis. i've never seen a carrier up close before :) it's cloudy over here at barber's point today so far.

7. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    after RIMPAC is over, sometimes, they allow military and dependents to tour. I don't know if they will allow that this year, considering the security factors, but ask your hubby to inquire. Many years ago, I got to tour the kitty hawk with the Navy League tour, and it was fabulous. They took us out to sea, and did touch/goes with the different aircraft, chopper rappel into the ocean by the Marines, and a fabulous picnic buffet. I did my "official" duties since it was a work day, and paid a visit to the JAG office on board. A couple of years ago, we went down to see the Enterprise or one of the other large carriers, but we got there too late. Just as we climbed all the way up the stairs, like 2 stories up, to get to the gangway and on board, the captain decided to shut down all tours; it was only 1400. don't know if it was a security issue or new orders to depart earlier than scheduled, but we were all told to leave, now!!! so, another missed opportunity. go down tomorrow around 1000 or so, and inquire if they are giving tours or allowing visits. All they ask for is your military ID; strap baby to your back. We'll miss it this year. Hubby has plans for all kinds of honey-do's, so don't want him to get distracted. :D :D :D

8. Nanashi

Aug 15, 2001
    thank you!! i have a friend on the enterprise actually, i wonder if he was attatched to it when you tried to get a tour ;) maybe we'll ask today while we are at the block party if anyone knows about tours :D i didn't think they would give tours during RIMPAC but thought maybe afterwards. i know they still give tours during other fleet weeks but that they don't allow anything onboard pretty much except your person! [face_laugh]

have a great 4th!

9. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    normally when mission is over, so when is RIMPAC over? they usually allow the tours the day before they depart for their home ports.

10. Nanashi

Aug 15, 2001
    eh i forget, maybe it's over already. we were right by a korean ship when we watched the fire works [face_laugh]. i forgot to check when RIMPAC was actually over but i did see some fighters fly overhead yesterday... not sure if they were exercising for RIMPAC or not. i'll check in the papers.

11. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    Jusg ask the info desk at NEX; they'll know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.