main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Insatiable - (Luke/Mara, angst) Complete! Epilogue posted 12 May

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Nov 26, 2005.

1. LVB

LVB Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2005
    If this is done in 2011, I am one happy fangirl. My heart just about broke when Luke told Mara he was unable to trust her with his heart. I hardly blame him considering, but that was just so...guh! I am extremely grateful and excited for this to be finished!

[face_dancing]

2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Jedi_Lover - It has taken far too long! I think that's a good saying, and very apt in Luke and Mara's case - they can never go back, but maybe they can build something stronger :)

CurtisZidaneZiraa - Thanks so much! :D

ginchy - You wish, gal! ;) I think it has taken Tanner a while, but he's finally seen what's obvious to everyone else.

Jade_eyes - I'm looking forward to ginchy's novel, too! Honesty has always been very important to Luke, in this situation especially - and I think they both want to at least build something, even if it can't be what it was before [:D]

LVB - The next chapter is done, only the epilogue to go, so hopefully it will be finished! I do put Luke through the wringer, don't I? :D

3. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks to ginchy for looking this over for me.

[b]Chapter 34[/b]

Luke watched Mara as she lay on the cold stone floor of the cavern, deep in her healing trance. One thought repeated itself over and over in his mind ? [i]she loved him.[/i]

A part of him had known that, really. She?d told him as much after she?d first returned from the Outer Rim, but that was years ago. True, she had kissed him just before the final battle in the Corellian system, but she?d explained that it was simply one of those possible-end-of-the-universe things, and he?d believed her. Had wanted to believe her, he supposed.

In the year since the Corellian crisis, they had formed a strange, but easy friendship. They even bantered now and then, on the rare occasions they saw one another. He had assumed that she had truly moved on, and told himself that he had too. And yet she had confessed her love to him so simply, he could not believe that it was anything other than the truth. He had been honest in return and she had accepted that without complaint.

Luke had questioned her, though, because he had assumed that there was more to her relationship with Tanner than strictly business. She had laughed for quite a while, until he had grown rather irritated. She had calmed down and said, with seriousness, that Tanner was a dear friend and trusted business associate, but nothing more. But she had, with some mirth, accused him of slight jealousy.

He supposed he had been a little jealous ? as he would have been with any other man who Mara was with. After all, she had left him to start a new life, and it would have hurt to know that someone else could have helped her when his assistance and love had, by her own admission, not been enough. He hadn?t told her that, of course ? he couldn?t. She may have taken it the wrong way, and Luke couldn?t allow himself to be pulled back down that road.

Because he could never risk himself on her again, never take the chance that she would leave him, as she had done so many times before. Luke was not a betting man, in matters of the heart especially.

The [i]Talon[/i] exploded in a base of fire, and Luke saw the tears streaming down Mara?s face illuminated by the inferno. He could sense that, for her, it was like saying goodbye to Karrde all over again.

?Why did you do it, Mara?? he asked her. He reached out to her, lay a comforting arm across her shoulders.

?Not for your New Republic,? she told him, eyes fixed on the blaze. ?Not entirely, anyway. It was for Talon, I guess,? she added after a long pause.

?I?m sorry,? he squeezed her shoulders.

?It?s just a ship,? she said, but her voice quavered. She leaned into him slightly and he shifted closer so that he could take her into his arms. ?I think he would have liked that his namesake was involved,? she continued through her tears.

?I think so, too,? Luke agreed, and stroked her hair. It was so rare that anyone saw Mara without her barriers, without the veneer of sarcasm and wit through which she guarded her heart. Luke had seen it before, in the cave, and he saw it even more now, holding Mara in his arms as she did not try to hide her tears from him. He knew that she trusted him implicitly and that he would never see it as a sign of weakness, or hold it against her. Instead he admired her strength, her bravery and all that she had given up to serve the cause of peace, the New Republic, and the memory of her dear friend.

?You?ve said before, Luke,? she said, her voice soft and slightly muffled by the fabric of his tunic. ?That one of the tests of becoming a Jedi is sacrifice. But that?s not what this is.? She turned her face to look at the [i]Talon[/i] once again, now no more than disintegrating pieces of metal as the fire died down. ?I think this is about saying goodbye ? in my own way.?

Luke didn?t respond, and simply held her close. He was reminded of Mara in those days following Karrde?s death, when he had similarly held her. Although then s

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *nabs*

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And so ingenious to use the Force bond because that's the only way Luke could truly trust her again, seeing in the depth of her soul. She needed that, too, to see that he still loved her, and always had. They have come a long, long way for this moment.

I remember way back when Luke discovered that Mara had slept with Lando and then he discovered the spice and the punch in the gut that chapter was and this makes it all worth it! To know that Mara has peace and her love for Luke... [face_love]

And I love her sacrifice in Karrde's memory.

Cannot WAIT for the epilogue, lady!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:D]

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That was a really heart-warming chapter. Finally a happy ending for my favorite couple. I am really glad you decided to complete this story. It was such an emotional roller coaster ride. I am glad they finally have each other.=D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was a beautiful flip of the proposal scene - i.e., her asking [face_dancing] I adore the regardless answer no matter who says it LOL

Very lovely description of them melding and merging in the Force bond - how complete it was and how unreservedly joyful.

This time, [face_dancing] (SQUGGLES! SQUGGLES! SQUGGLES!) they're together in a mature, committed, and sane way, not for dysfunctional reasons [face_thinking] or backwards - where love and lust are confused and are used as a means to dulling and escaping negative emotions instead of the wellspring of happiness, love, and passion that it should/could be between them.

This has been a very gratifying and real resolution of their convoluted paths back to one another.

Big hugs!

7. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    This story has been so breathtaking and heartbreaking I'm almost sad for it to end. There really aren't the proper words to describe how wonderful a tale you've constructed. I hope you'll consider posting on FF.N or the Livejournal that JediMara and ginchy have set up so it can be read and re-read in one piece. :)

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    What a wonderful present to come home to! :D I can't wait for the epi!!!!

Bravo! =D=

9. LVB

LVB Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2005
    I really didn't expect her to propose but I am sure glad that she did! I agree with ginchy--brilliant idea to use the Force bond. This story has been filled with so much emotion and its lovely to see Mara and Luke find some happiness. I happily await the epilogue!

10. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Epilogue????? [face_batting][face_praying][:D]

:D :D :D :D

11. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Seconded, Thirded, Fourthed. I thought this was getting done by the end of last year. ;)

12. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    YAY! Healing at last. Go Happy Endings!!! [face_dancing]

13. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    AUUUUUGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

AUUUGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

AUUUGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I love it!!! Its sooooooooo awesome, so perfect, soooooo RIGHT!! ahhhh...JL you have made me a happy lady here in my kitchen as I make banana bread!! This was the most wonderful conclusion ever, and I love that you didn't have them plunge ahead...so perfect. [face_love]

Can't wait for this epilogue! Is it going to be posted or PM'd?? ;) ;) ;)

Huggles!!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

14. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Hi all,

Sorry, this is not the epilogue, yet, but I am working on it! I am currently re-posting this version of the fic on ff.net under the penname lotusflower85, and an updated, NC version of the fic on Archive of our Own (now with additional sexytimes!) which you can find under lotusflower85/JadeLotus. I won't link directly since I don't think I'm allowed, but it's there if you want to find it. Once the fic is completely posted at ff.net and A03 I will finish and post the epilogue.

I want to give a huge thanks to Gemma for contacting me and inspiring me to do this, and finding a copy of the fic so I could actually work on it! [:D] If you are the person who had that copy, please post or PM me so I can thank you directly!!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Epilogue

The Coruscant Memorial Gardens were empty, save for Mara Jade and her four companions, who walked purposefully towards their destination. Luke was beside her, holding her hand, happiness radiating from him. Mara admired her husband-to-be, who looked rather dashing in a new navy blue dress coat over a stylish, light blue tunic with dark trousers and knee-high boots. She had thought he might choose to wear his Jedi robes, but she was pleased to see him in something new.

Mara wore an emerald-colored gown she had bought especially for the occasion. It was not particularly fancy, but suited her tastes, the tight, sleeveless bodice showing off her curves, and the shimmersilk skirt falling to her ankles. The only jewelry she wore was a silver chain around her neck with a small pendant of intertwined emerald and sapphire gemstones, a wedding gift from Luke. She had given him a finely crafted leather wristband, etched with the symbols of the Rebel Alliance and the Jedi Order, to always remind him of his accomplishments.

Han and Leia walked arm in arm a few paces in front of them, Han in his dress uniform and insignia, and Leia in a beautiful white gown. Tanner completed their small party, walking quietly behind Mara and Luke in a fashionable dark suit.

Mara rubbed Luke’s arm fondly to get his attention, and he leaned in closer to her. “You don’t mind that it’s just the few of us?” Mara asked him. “I know you would have liked some of your other friends here.”

Luke gave her a warm smile and patted her hand. “Of course not,” he replied. “It’s nice to have a bit of privacy.”

Mara wasn’t sure she believed him, but loved him all the same, and resolved not to let his sacrifice be forgotten. Leia had, of course, wanted a big wedding with half of Coruscant invited, but Mara had balked at the idea. She was still wary of the sludgenews and the potential controversy of their marriage, she didn’t want them to spoil her and Luke’s union. She knew that Luke had desired a Jedi ceremony, although he had never said so, perhaps remembering her words on Nirauan that she wasn’t cut out to be a Jedi. So they had settled on a small ceremony to take place a mere week after they had returned from Nirauan, with Han officiating and Leia and Tanner acting as witnesses.

“Maybe we can have a celebration after we’ve made the announcement,” Mara suggested. “And things have settled down.”

“I’d like that,” Luke smiled and put his arm around her as they continued to walk through the gardens, the rows of exotic plants and flowers reassuring Mara that the location was not too sterile for a wedding ceremony. Leia had pulled a few strings and had the complex closed down for the day, so they would be left alone.

“It’s just here,” Mara indicated the side wall of the gardens, just by a fountain where a crop of Jade Roses were in bloom. Their presence was quite a surprise to Mara, since they had not been there when she’d previously visited the gardens. Luke’s face cracked into a smile and he hurried over to the flowers, plucking one by the stem and fastening it to his lapel. “Fitting, don’t you think?” he asked them, as he plucked another and held it out to Mara. “May I?” he added, and Mara nodded, allowing him to place one of the blooms in her hair, which she had allowed Leia to put up into an elaborate style.

“It’s quite a coincidence,” Mara observed, noticing that the blooms seemed to be newly planted around the fountain. She cast a look over to Leia.

“It wasn’t me,” Leia said. “But it’s a lovely gesture, I wish I’d thought of it,” she added and looked towards her husband suspiciously.

Han shrugged but was unable to keep the smile off his face. “So maybe the groundskeeper is a friend of mine,” he said nonchalantly. “But what do I know about flowers?”

Mara turned to Tanner, who was far more successful in concealing his guilt, his usual inscrutable expression in display. Although Mara did detect a hint of amusement in his dark eyes. “I may have an interest in botany,” he stated calmly, and Mara laughed.

“Thank you,” Mara said, and led them behind the fountain, to a wall of grey plaques, and in particular, one with small black lettering that read Talon Karrde.

“I know it seems a bit morbid,” Mara told them almost apologetically. “But he…would have wanted to be here.”

Leia stepped forward and rubbed her arm gently. “I think it’s beautiful, Mara.”

“If we’ve finished admiring the scenery, shall we get started?” Han asked, rubbing his hands together. “I’ve waited long enough for these two to get hitched.”

They got into position, Luke and Mara facing each other with joined hands, Leia standing beside Luke and Tanner beside Mara, as Han took his position between them. Luke squeezed her hands gently and she smiled in return, sending her anticipation and happiness through their bond.

“Welcome, gentlebeings,” Han began, in a speech he’d obviously rehearsed. “To witness the bonding of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade, and it’s about damn time!”

“Han!” Leia admonished him.

“Luke and Mara have come to pledge themselves to each other,” Han continued, ignoring Leia’s rebuke. “And to make official what was clear to everyone else the moment she stuck a blaster in his face and swore to kill him.”

“Han!” Leia broke in again. “Didn’t you look at the officiant’s guide I gave you?”

“Sure I did, Leia,” Han told her. “But I’m Corellian, we don’t follow the script.”

Leia sighed, but it was obvious she was not angry, having trouble even concealing her smile. She waved him to continue. Luke grinned at Han’s unorthodox celebrant’s duties, and even Tanner seemed amused. Mara just rolled her eyes.

“As I was saying,” Han continued. “It’s been a rocky road for these two, who have come from such different backgrounds, and yet have found a kinship with each other. By that, of course I mean they both share an over-developed stubbornness and talent for getting into trouble.”

This time it was Luke who gave Han an admonishing look.

“And of course,” Han added quickly, “the most important thing they share is their love for each other.”

Mara squeezed Luke’s hand in order for him to return his gaze to hers, nudging him playfully through the Force.

“In the presence of these witnesses,” Han continued, “I invite you both to say the vows you have prepared. Mara?”

Mara took a deep breath before starting. “Luke,” she began. “It took me a long time to realize that I loved you, because I was willfully blind and afraid of what it meant to be loved. But I am no longer afraid, because I know that all I want is to be with you always, and share with you the whole of myself.”

Luke was obviously moved, his emotions seeping across their bond. “Mara,” Luke told her. “I was drawn to you almost from the moment I met you, and in time that connection deepened into the greatest love I have ever felt. The past does not matter to me, because all I care about it the beautiful future that we are going to have together.”

Han clasped his hands over Luke and Mara’s joined ones. “Luke and Mara, you have spoken your vows to one another, and they were nice and short, for which we are all thankful,” he clearly couldn’t resist joking. “I now ask you to confirm your commitment to one another.”

“Luke, I pledge to you my life and love,” Mara recited. “May the Force be with us as we begin this journey together.”

“Mara, I pledge to you my life and love,” Luke said back to her. “May the Force be with us as we begin this journey together.”

“Then I, Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon and General of the New Republic, do now pronounce you husband and wife.”

Mara didn’t wait for permission, leaning forward and pressing her lips to Luke’s. Han pulled his hands away quickly and stumbled back, grumbling about her eagerness. But Mara didn’t care, wrapping her arms around Luke’s neck as she kissed him fully and he responded in kind. They were both grinning when she pulled away, sharing their joy through their bond.

Then Leia stepped forward with tears in her eyes and embraced her brother for a long time. Han stepped over to Mara. “Come ‘ere, Jade,” he said, pulling her into a hug. “You’re not getting away that easy.”

Mara returned his embrace. “Don’t think you’re getting away with that dreadful performance just now,” she said sharply, but there was teasing behind her tone and she smiled as she pulled away. “Someday, when you think I’ve forgotten about it,” she warned him. “You’ll wish you had stuck to the script.”

Han laughed. “I’m sure.”

When she released herself from Han, Mara stepped over to Tanner, who was standing passively watching the scene. She embraced him gently, and he whispered his well wishes to her, even though he was usually uncomfortable with such show of emotion. Leis was at her side when she broke away from Tanner, pulling Mara into a fierce hug.

“Welcome to the family, Mara,” Leia told her warmly. Over Leia’s shoulder, Mara watched Luke disentangle himself from Han’s chatter and approach Tanner, who held out his hand.

“Congratulations, Master Skywalker,” Tanner told him as Luke grasped his hand and shook it. Tanner, however, was not expecting Luke to draw him into a firm hug, and it brightened Mara’s heart to see that Tanner not only accepted the gesture, but patted Luke fondly on the back.

This was her family, Mara realized. She had not just married Luke, she was part of a unit now – Leia and Han and their children, Chewbacca, Lando, Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron, Corran Horn and the rest of Luke’s Jedi – everyone who loved her husband was now her family, as well. And Tanner would be drawn into that bond with her, giving him the support and love he’d not had since his father died. Only Talon was missing, Mara thought wistfully, her gaze lingering on his memorial plaque.

“Maybe he’s watching over us,” Luke suggested as he returned to her side, slipping an arm around her waist and pressing a soft kiss to her forehead.

Mara didn’t answer, but leaned into him for support, at last thankful that Talon’s memory would be kept alive.

**********************************************************************************

Mara lead Luke inside her apartment, clasping his hand tightly. He had not been there before, because when they’d decided to wait until they were married to become intimate again, she’d wanted to avoid the temptation of having him in close proximity to her bed. Mara had been relieved that he no longer kept the apartment they’d once shared - there were too many bad memories associated with it, and she wanted their marriage to be a fresh start. Luke had of course suggested that they could spend the night in the guest room at Leia’s, but Mara had called him crazy if he thought she was going to sleep with him within the same city block at his sister, her husband and their children, let alone the same suite.

So after the ceremony they returned to Mara’s apartment, cramped as it was, to spend the first night as husband and wife. As they entered, however, Mara sensed that something wasn’t right, which became obvious when a small astromech droid rolled out into the living room.

“Artoo?” Luke seemed as surprised as Mara. “What are you doing here?”

The droid let out a series of angry beeps and whistles and Mara couldn’t sense his intent through the Force.

Luke chuckled. “He says that since he wasn’t invited to our wedding, he had to come here to see us.”

“How did he get in?” Mara enquired. The security on her apartment was top of the line.

Luke shrugged. “Artoo can get into anywhere.”

“Sorry you couldn’t come, Artoo,” he consoled the little droid and patted his domed head fondly.

“Hmmph.” Mara folded her arms crossed her chest. “He probably would have tried to sabotage the ceremony,” she said snidely.

Artoo let out another series of hoots and beeps and Mara rolled her eyes, never really understanding Luke’s attachment to the thing. She knelt down in front of the droid, at eye level with his viewing unit. “So, Artoo,” she humoured him. “Do you approve of me marrying your master, or are we going to have to fight for him?”

The droid was silent for several long moments, his viewing unit looking her up and down as if considering her worthiness. Eventually, he let out a few terse beeps.

[You’ll do] she heard through the Force, and Mara laughed out loud as Artoo rolled away and out of her apartment. She supposed that was tantamount to the droid’s approval.

“And I thought your sister was going to be the hard one to win over,” Mara muttered as she stood, seeing that Luke had been examining her apartment with approval. She had few personal effects except for a few clothes lying around and datadiscs with trading reports gathering dust on the comm unit. But it seemed that Luke had found something that interested him.

“What’s this?” Luke asked, picking up a flesh-coloured jacket from the back of the couch, where it rested with her spare blaster holster.

“That?” she asked with a shrug. “It’s my favorite jacket.”

Luke examined the fabric, the age in the stitching, and the sleeves which flared out from the elbows. “I bought this jacket for you,” he said.

Mara looked at him with surprise. “You remember that?”

“Of course,” he answered, fingering the worn material. “You kept it all these years?”

Mara smiled. “Of course,” she said, covering his hands with her own. “This is a bit embarrassing,” she admitted, “but I guess you should know all my secrets. When I was in the ‘Rim, and I was…so lonely, I used to wear it all the time. It’s really pathetic,” she added with a laugh. “Sometimes I would come back to my apartment and just hold it.” She took the jacket from him and held it close against her chest as an example.

“I told you that I wanted you to think of me when you wore it,” Luke said softly, the memory coming back to him fully.

There were tears in her eyes as Mara looked up at him, love shining from her every pore. “I did.”

He grasped her upper arms and pulled her close, crushing his lips to hers, and she returned his kiss with passion. His grip soon eased on her arms, and he ran his fingers over the bare skin, making her shiver with anticipation. The jacket dropped from her grip, forgotten as she pressed her body against his.

“So,” he murmured against her mouth. “We’re married.”

“Yes we are,” he whispered back to him, pressing soft kisses on his jawline. “So I guess you better hurry up and kriff me.”

“If you insist.”

When Mara awoke, the sun was setting, filling her bedroom with fading yellow light. She shifted pleasantly and saw that Luke was already awake, a happiness in his eyes that she was sure was reflected in her own. He reached out to stroke her hair, and she warmed to his touch, pressing herself closer to him and inhaling his unique scent. They must have only been asleep a few hours, but Mara felt refreshed and alive as she pressed her lips to his gently. Through their bond, she could feel that he was thinking of the times he’d woken up in his bed alone, when she had left him, and his relief at finally being able to hold onto her.

“I’m still here,” she reminded him as she pulled away. “I’ll always be here.”

“I know,” he answered with a smile. “But I think this is the first time I’ve woken up before you.”

Mara shrugged her shoulders ever so slightly. “Well, I sleep now,” she told him shyly, since in the awful days of her addiction and recovery, she had found rest difficult to find. “And I sleep best with you beside me.” She sighed with happiness and caressed his chest absently. “Thank you for waiting for me,” she told him.

Luke chucked softly and stroked her cheek with his thumb. “It was only a week,” he pointed out.

Mara shook her head. “No,” she told him. “It’s been ten years.”

Luke smiled, understanding, and leant in to kiss her softly. She melted under the touch of his lips, and they caressed leisurely for some time. A part of her couldn’t believe they hadn’t been able to find their way to this place years ago.

“We both needed the time,” Luke said softly as he pulled away, picking up on her errant thoughts. He ran a hand down the bare skin of her back and pulled her close.

“I think you’re being kind to me there,” Mara responded, tapping him gently on the chin. “We both know that we could have found happiness years ago if I’d made different choices.”

“Maybe,” he said evenly. “Maybe not. I wasn’t blameless in what happened between us, Mara,” he pointed out. “I pressed you into a relationship when you were unsure and grieving, and I thought that if I just loved you enough, I could fix you. It was arrogant and foolish.”

“And I lied to you, continued our relationship even though I knew you wanted more than I could give,” she countered. “Then I abandoned you and hurt you so deeply most people thought you’d never recover. It was selfish and amoral.” She took his face in both of her hands. “I’m going to spend the rest of my life making that up to you, Luke.”

He took one of her hands and kissed her palm, shaking his head. “You were always completely and utterly forgiven,” he told her. “Our lives together shouldn’t be about correcting the mistakes of the past,” he added. “But a new beginning - making new memories together.”

“Well,” she said with a sly smile as she pressed her body against his and began to kiss him again. “Let’s get started.” He laughed and pulled her down to him as they shared each others joy.

Afterwards, they held each other in the dwindling light, Mara’s head pillowed on Luke’s chest and his fingers drawing small circles on her back. Mara hated to break the moment, but there was something that had been on her mind ever since they had returned.

“So,” she began. “It occurs to me we haven’t decided what we’ve going to do with our lives, other than be together,” she added.

She felt Luke press a kiss to her hair. “I suppose not,” he answered. “I’m not needed at the Academy full time, anymore,” he continued. “Although I do need to spend some time there. When I’m not, I thought I could accompany you on your trading runs.”

Once again Mara was touched by his utter selflessless. “That’s a good plan,” she agreed. “But I’ve made a decision that might change things.”

“Oh?”

Mara turned over in his arms and rested her chin on his chest. “I…want to be a Jedi.”

His face broke into a huge smile. “Really?” he asked in surprise. “Mara, that’s wonderful! What changed your mind?”

Mara shrugged. “I’m not sure,” she told him. “I resisted training with you before because I was afraid that I would lose myself in it, that I would lose my independence. Or fail,” she added honestly. “But when I did that work for NR Health, it was so gratifying, I realized that I liked helping people. As strange as that sounds.”

Luke chuckled. “You’re too hard on yourself, Mara,” he told her gently, brushing a lock of her hair behind her ear. “I’ve always known you have a deep compassion and desire to do good, even if you didn’t want to admit it. But what about your trading company?”

“Tanner will take it over,” Mara explained. “I think I’ve accomplished all I want to in business. Like you said, this is a new beginning for us. So I need a new challenge.” The happiness on his face was so strong she didn’t need to reach into their bond to gauge his feelings on the matter.

“Before you get too excited,” she told him. “I don’t want you to train me.”

His smile dropped. “Oh.”

“I’m already so much in your debt Luke,” she told him hurriedly. “I don’t think I could handle being your apprentice as well. I want to do this right,” she added firmly. “I thought maybe I would ask Leia.”

His joy returned as he understood, reaching out to her through their bond and reassuring her with his acceptance, happiness and love. “I think she would like that,” he answered. “And nothing would make me happier than you becoming a Jedi, as long as it’s your choice.”

“It is,” she confirmed, and settled back into his arms. “But I don’t need to start training with her right now – she’s still Chief of State, after all. I thought we could leave for Yavin 4 in the morning,” she continued. “Leave Leia to make the press release about our marriage and hide away in the forest together for a while.”

He kissed her forehead again and began to stroke her hair comfortingly. “Now that sounds like a plan.”

She sighed and nestled into his embrace, awash with bliss and relief. Once, she had feared becoming a Jedi, feared a relationship with Luke because she didn’t believe she was capable of it, but now she understood that love was strength, sacrifice was necessary, and all she needed was to allow herself to feel and not be afraid of losing anything she held dear. For the first time in her life, she understood the feeling of utter contentment, no further desire burning within her preventing her from enjoying the moment.

She was sated.

16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I'm going to follow you and leave a comment wherever I see this pop up. :p

ginchy is going to be so happy.

Congrats on this ending! It was perfect!! :)

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    And so am I, sated and happy and squeeing. Oh what a scrumptious close. Perfect blend of candor, mush, and snark. [:D]

18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I love happy endings! Great story!

Demendora and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I squee'd so loudly when taramidala tagged me that only dogs could hear me. hahahahahahaa You've done a wonderful job with this fic, girl. I read it here and on AO3 and it's perfect. I love how happy L/M finally are. How they can trust in one another because of the bond, and their lives are finally on the course they should have been. I love Han officiating the ceremony and the idea of Leia being Mara's Master. I love Luke's sheer happiness and how Mara kept that jacket and he was never far from her mind. And that last line is perfection. Excellent work, lady, and now you can talk to me without me mentioning that I need this epilogue!! ;) [:D]

20. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Wheeee! [face_love][face_love] You finally finished it! Thank you so much for this extraodrinary story.@};-@};-@};- I only hope, that you will finish "Lift not painted veil" and "Eurydice" now. ^:)^^:)^[:D]

21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    This was so wonderful. Thank you for finishing it and doing it so perfectly.

22. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I love that Han married them! Congrats on the completion of your wonderful, compelling story!