main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Instead of pancakes I bring you a semla

Discussion in 'Pancakes and Waffles Forum' started by Obi Anne , Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So it's time for pancake Tuesday, and personally I think the idea is boring. At least compared to the wonderful thing that is a semla.

[image=http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/multimedia/archive/00148/semla200_148917w.jpg]

This marvellous creation filled with marzipan (or simply crushed almonds)with a generous topping of whipped cream, and for the best result immersed in hot milk.

Pancakes can be eaten all year round, but for the coming Tuesday the semla is the true champion.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As great as that looks to eat, I don't think it could top the butterscotch pancakes I had at IHOP...............................those were easily the best pancakes I ever had. :D

3. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    That looks pretty good.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Semlor are one of the few things I genuinely miss! I wish I could have one on Tuesday and adore the magnificent taste of a well baked semla.

5. Celebrion

Celebrion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 27, 2005
    I've nothing against a good pancake or waffle, but they just can't beat an old-fashioned semla!
    Especially with a nice cup of tea with it, both without any extra milk.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday. :D

6. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I eat a large amount of pancakes all throughout the year, but for me Semla is the only kind of pastry for Fat Tuesday, and I (try to) don't eat it on any other day.

There is a good description of Semla on Wikipedia. I like this anecdote:

King Adolf Frederick of Sweden died of digestion problems on February 12, 1771 after consuming a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, which was topped off by 14 servings of semla, with bowls of hot milk. Semla was the king's favorite dessert.

Personally, I don't think that I would ever be able to digest 14 sevings of Semla... I'm usually full after one or two.

I read that ready-made Semla are available on Fat Tuesday on a couple of places in the world outside Scandinavia.
    For instance, if you happen to in Paris, France, then you can stop by Café Suedois on Rue Payenne and order a Brioche garnie de pâte d'amandes et crème fouetté.

Of course, I always make my own. They are easy to make. I serve them with hot milk and sprinkle with cinnamon.

7. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I can't wait until Tuesday when I can finally eat a semla... (yes, I refuse to eat them before that! Traditions should be respected! ;))

Mmm. With really good marzipan, and plenty of powdered sugar on top...

8. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Absolutely! The quality of the almond paste makes or breaks the Semla.
    It must not be too sweet or too hard, and it must have taste! It should contain a few bitter almonds ground up in the mix.
    I have read that Spanish almonds should have more taste than the cheap common Californian variety, but I have never been able to find it anywhere.

There are varieties of Semla, with different liquers in the cream, flavoured frosting and so on.. but nothing beats the original.

9. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    I had three semlor today and that is quite enough for me. Phew...

10. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    And of what use is that to us?
    I mean, seriously.

-JR :)

11. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Any post that bumps this thread, supports the Semla. ;)

And now you will have a ballpark figure of many a normal person ("normal" depends on you point of view ... of course) could eat in a day.

12. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I bump the thread.
    I do not support the semla.

I support only pancakes.

-JR :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.