main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Sawn_Kassal

Sawn_Kassal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2008
    Here I'd like people to discuss what kinds of RPs everyone would like to see around, what perks the interest and such.

Me personally I'm working on two at the moment. The first, a Dragon Ball RP based in a similar universe but with completely different characters and story that focuses more on the Dragon Balls themselves than the Saiyans. There will be no Super Saiyans running rampant in that when I finish it.

The other is based off the film Dazed and Confused dealing with the class of 1978. It will deal with getting through school, teenage problems, parties, the culture, muscle cars, the sort of thing the movie depicted on a much larger scale.

I wanna hear what everyone else is plotting or would just like to see someone else come up with.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Two RPs in the works.

Well a few.

So one is To Reign in Hell, the game that I designed which won the first RPF Summer Challenge. Trying to come up with a system for that one, though...

Second is another AU game that Sarge, Xan and HSolo have heard about...

Third: a Star Wars game set on Coronet, in an apartment building. Players play inhabitants of the building. One day, an injured man wanders in, begging for help, and for a hiding place...

Fourth: some sort of low-key, gritty game that takes place in Dante's Nine-Ring Hell.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So it's Journey to the West?:p

I think the second idea has quite a bit more potential.

4. Sawn_Kassal

Jul 29, 2008
    The big thing now is finding people who've actually seen the movie lol.

5. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I have my 1/4 GM post at Bad Day right now and if it keeps up that interest, the Sequel might be unavoidable. Also the idea of canon characters from different movies thrown into one mix might lead to a Sequel in the Horror Area ;) (I am beginning to advocate this idea NOW)

My own project Sins of the Saints is meant for a run in 2010. OP is in the GDG-Thread and some "Teaser"-Scenes written early with some players from around here have been submitted here and there to challenges or boards. It is ambitious, to say at least. And if it fails I might suffer from serious depressions :p But after spooking in my mind for 1 1/2 year now, it is somethng that I am looking forward to . . .

Especially the "deep character" involvment I am looking for, I hopefully will get working. For now there were always players developing players with you, the GM. Here I want all players to do so. A game full of protagonists, so to say.

Concerning other ideas:

BobaMatt. The Coronet thing sounds interesting, BobaMatt. Without knowing what it is realyy about. :) The Dante idea I guess we have two games already based on that concept coming . . . but if you get out first ;) And the new AU is intruiging coming from you. Otherwise I would say we have our AFAS and need no more . . .

There is a surge of strategy games coming up, I believe. Hero_of_the_force had one. LordT is poking around CIV and Xany should be developing her own right now. So Reign in Hell might be part of a whole wave of such games.

About your projects Sawn. A College/High School Dazed&Confused game could be rather cool. Though you need to be hell of a GM to pull the dramaturgy of that one of. If we find enough people in love of that concept, it might work. I am a pessimist about all Manga based games, though. Usually they do not last long. I personally have knowledge of one, maximum two series at all I would ever consider touching. But that´s because I am old. :p

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    No, no. It's the TV series Monkey. Surely some of you young 'uns have at least heard of it???

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have two war games, with connected plotlines, called Sith Crusades, turning the point-based system we've used in the Tournament into a full blown plot-driven game, with means to success and defeat, and then again into a strategy game with the same concept in mind, set in 40 ABY.

I also have been given permission by Winged to create the prequel to Archangels & Alchemists, known as Twilight of the Gods, set circa 400 ABY...

8. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, I know of at least four other projects of yours, Fin ;)

Anyway, my Millions of Voices has already been announced. I go on a looong travelling hiatus, after that one. Some smaller projects might occur before. I already hinted some in the Discussion Thread some weeks ago. I think 130 ABY - The Tragedy of Ossus is unlikely at this point. But will be played eventually. After my return, most probably.

Otherwise, I had the Breed. An ALIEN game replacing all after Mr. Cameron´s entry into the saga and All for the Boys - a procedual crime game with a twist.

I also considered experimenting with new formats, like play-by-date, which turned out satisfying within´ Cold Embrace. Question is what kind of game would be suitable for that. I am working on something here. As a Prequel to Millions of Voies, which is for a SW game a massive undertaking in world-building and background work.

There is the idea of a CIV based game, around. But long-time games can only be planned for 2011 or thereafter. Until then we´ll see a live-action TV series that will change our game, anyway.

So, my favourites right now.

9. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Aside from my bank/investment game currently up for review in the Game Designer's Group and the sequel to ABW, I have nothing in the works. However, I will take a moment to comment on this.

It is not necessarily essential that players have seen or even heard of the movie or show that you may be planning a game about. I have seen games run for long periods of time that none of the initial players knew much about. However, what this means is more work from the GM's end. It means you have to have a very good Opening Post and make the world easily accessible. We're all pretty much familiar with high school though, so honestly that shouldn't be too hard. However, as was said before, a high school themed game would take some dedicated gm'ing. If you're not careful, it can easily fall into a rut of classes and what not. But, enough lecturing from me..... :p

I would be interested in a game like that though, sawn, if it were managed right.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not familiar with that one. I am acquainted with Monkey Magic and its ear-gratingly bad theme song. It's like Journey to the West but torture on your ears!

Also, Sinre, I would join Twilight of the Gods unconditionally if you used the song Twilight of the Gods.

11. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Haha...

What a fun thread. We're all showing our cards and building hype and discussing things.

I'll bite: :D

Re: I_H Games

New game launches for me are now in a deep queue, dictated by the deaths of my games currently in progress. Top position games include:

The Divine Right of Kings: A "choice-based" strategy game in line with the Civilizations franchise.
    The Quick and the Dead: A tournament style gunfighting game based on the movie
    Kaleidoscope of Echos: An RPG about the RPF

Re: I_H Projects

New project ideas are largely unique to the project at hand and the amount of free time I have

The 4th Annual Christmas Ball: Begins in December!
    Winter Olympics Project: Some sort of competition coinciding with the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

As to some of the other ideas raised here:

[b]Sawn:[/b] I like the Dazed and Confused RPG over Dragonball. You'd have to write it in a particular way to make it feasible here on these boards. The very very few drama/high school/teenage games that have had here suffered from the problem of running out of steam after about 100 or so posts.

[b]Boba:[/b] You would probably have to water down Dante's vision a little bit to have it fit within the RPF rules, but I like long standing mythical stuff like that. :)

[b]Fins:[/b] Glad to see you're still going forward with SotS. Although I may not be able to play it, I'm happy to see that Aria has spawned something of a franchise. NSWRPF needs some institutions like that. ;)

[b]Sinre:[/b] Oh nice! The Archangels and Alchemists series strikes again. Thats very nice to hear. I wonder if I can play the same Grand Vizier position wanting to echo the force users. Love that role :p

[b]LordT:[/b] How exciting that you are experimenting with different types of RPing. I look forward to seeing what comes of your efforts.

[b]Chukles:[/b] Looking forward to seeing how your system in the Bank game works. Happy to have been in on the ground floor for the design process. :)

-I_H

12. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    I've been working on an idea for the past three or so months that I call Star Wars: Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Its based around 3-4 year before the Battle of Yavin and will revolve around the crews of two ships. The first is the Silver Lining a ship that has made her PRF debut in BobaMatt's AFaS game. The second is the Star Destroyer Deathbringer. Players will take the roles of members of either ships crew and the crews actions and decisions in the game have an effect on later events and ultimately the games outcome. A job the the crew of the Lining decide to take may gain them an ally who may come to their aid. And in turn the actions of the crew of the Deathbringer will effect how those they encounter will react to and treat them. All in all decisions have weight and a character and ships actions may eventually lead to, as the name implies, a future with a silver lining, or one full of storm clouds.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    After the final Summer Challenge, I have decided that I do not like Horror RPs. They just freak me out and make me really uncomfortable.

Games I look out for are those in my core Star Wars eras, TPM up to ROTJ and some limited EU within the life spans of the Trilogy characters.

14. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I am sorry to disappoint you there Imp, but SotS will have no ties with Ramza´s amazing Aria. None at all. It is a very different beast and even the three players who asked to "reprise" their Aria chars, will play slightly different versions of them to fit in with my "mythology".

So, just to avoid false expectations.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well it's not all that explicit, is it?

But yes. Most of the RP would take pace in the very metropolitan city of Dis, where Heaven has an embassy, and where demons comingle with more influential souls that wheel and deal whilst suffering whatever torments they must endure. Perhaps some find ways to lessen their torment. Perhaps some buddy up to the more important demons. Intrigue, mystery, magic...perhaps there are expeditions to the other Circles...

16. Sawn_Kassal

Jul 29, 2008
    Heh...thanks for the encouragement all. I'm aware of the high level of standard this place upholds. Kind of why I've been iffy about trying to do an RP of my own. Stage fright you might say. That's not to say I'm not willing to put forth to the effort, more or less that I wouldn't be up to the task of giving it the push and the story depth it needed. I don't consider myself on par with the likes of BobaMatt, especially as he's kept AFAS going strong for so long.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Interest measurement wanted:

Assassin's Creed game - action, mystery...not sure on details yet. Essentially some strange genetic stuff and cool historical fiction.

Call of Duty - simply put, action.

there are a few other in my brain vault, but...I'll save 'em. :)

19. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I recently found myself in the GM chair and am still surprised, I acutally GM now.

But since I realized I might make it beyond week one, I actually began poking around ideas. Some stuff I came up with. I still feel a little shy about doing a SW game, but I tihnk NSWRPF might see a follow up to Bad day once it ends, whatever way it does . . .

As this is an "interest" thread, I would say it´s fair game to display interest in the games I read about, do I? Well, I guess so. Don´t be mad at me if your game is not on that list. Nobody loves it all.

Sins of the Saints - Is a must. I think I can say I was in it, since it began early planning stages and I look forward to it. understanidng what a major effort it is, I say take your time Fin. Take your time.

A Dante Game is a great idea, anyway. Also I must say, it will need hell of an ambitious crew to pull it of . . . has anybody seen Franklyn? I imagine it to be a little like that.

Millions of Voices is a must play to me, anyway. LordT says goodbye, I´ll be there to wave him goodbye! And a Star War Apocalypse hasn´t been done so far. It might be about time.

Assassin's Creed has a strange attraction to me. I saw the game only played by others and I am only vaguely familiar with the story, but I will take a long, good look at it, once it comes out.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I've never seen that movie, but now that I've looked it up and seen the trailer, I'd love to. I should mention that I'm thinking of pulling from a number of other sources as well.

For example, there's Barlowe's Inferno and God's Demon, the latter of which you can read a (rather large) fantastic, fascinating excerpt from here. Accompanying paintings and images - mostly from the former book - can be found at the book's website, which also includes an excerpt.

Futher, there's movies like What Dreams May Come, and the upcoming video game "based on" Dante's work.

21. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    Boy, I have played Assassin's Creed non stop for hours at a time. The second one I really want. I have thought about making an Assassin's Creed RPG for a long time. The game relates to the game I made a while back, but it didn't work out on my part.

I might take a shot at the AC concept again... if no one wants to call dibs.

22. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    RPF - a more mature sort of roleplaying environ, to be sure.[face_laugh]

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    The RPF has a tendnecy to get similiar projects at the same time :p Well, I´ll probably do my ManCubs Pastiche HIOUO soon (that´s humanoid infants of unknown origin). :p

And before there is any rumors, nope that was not serious. I am suspicious about that rumor-mill ManCubs playerbase is. o_O

I actually read Archangels once. So, a Prequel might be thrilling, Sinre. It´ll be ABYverse?

Concerning AC:

Serious. Peng´s game was around the last few weeks, Hero. So I think he had his hands on that one for some time. Maybe that franchise can carry two games, I don´t know. If they are different enough . . . might work.

I think I´ll have a look at your AC, Peng. Because I love the setting of it. And with Imps game we have a third Civ-Attempt on this board. I guess mine will probably not that necessary, actually. ;)

My next project might be Breed, though. It is meant to be short one. With only a few players. Any ALIENS fans out there? Or am I riding horses here who died long ago? (If you say yes, I feel old . . . so try to to say it in a way, not getting me into aretirment home, please :p )

LordT

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    ALIENS!