main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think at this point sneaking is an artifact in MGS. The world itself is interesting enough to warrant a game.

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Funny thing is, I barely remember "the world". Only sneaking, Ninjas and this Psycho guy, who was damned creepy. But the elements stayed with me. Certainly. The games had a certain mood.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Genome soldiers. Silent Wolf (whom I modeled Gen. Mitth on), I think that's her name. Liquid Snake. A megalomaniac American President who happens to be Solidus Snake. Raven. Cardboard boxes. Wolf pups that love ya. Sniper rifle. Claymores. Radars. Sneaking. Mechatanks. Ooo the fun.

But how do you turn a single player stealth op game into a multiplayer rpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Sniper Wolf, actually. And the trio of Enfants Terrible that throw all rules of genetics out the door :p

And here's the thing: the world of MGS need not be focused on stealth! :p

5. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Certainly not, but it is what most of us identify as it´s key feature. It´s USP so to say. Actually except from sneaking around I really have no more than a loose recollection of images about the world, but it was a very military game.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say I think of nanomachines more than anything else, because it's how they explain everything. Well, that and the Patriots.:p

Certainly stealth is what we think of in terms of gameplay, and certainly Konami has to stick to that because of a certain brand expectation (Well... maybe not anymore, see Revengeance) but like Peng I think it can be explored beyond that element, or that element could (perhaps) be expanded into a multiperson game. It'd be an intriguing experiment, to be sure.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    MGS4 has greater emphasis on action than stealth, I'd argue. Plus, MGS as a whole is in the vein of post-cyberpunk stuff. There's a lot to work with assuming one isn't attached to the idea of stealth.

Even if you're into stealth, I don't see that being much of a hinderance. We had an old game on here based on Splinter Cell that worked quite well, if I recall correctly.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Guys, I say people will expect stealth and you say that the world can do without. So what? It´s not even arguing against my point. People will still expect stealth, I assume.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Fins, to quote you - So what? Defy the assumptions :p

10. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Defy them? Dunno. I don´t really care that much about them, to be truthful. [face_tee_hee] Go on.

Penguinator likes this.
  11. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    So, is it fair to say a lot of people know about MSG, but expectations and the level of knowledge is vastly different? Although I feel like some people seem to be quite passionate about the whole thing. I am already out, when the people begin to talk about that various Snakes. So you need to get the people in despite limited knowledge by doing something that stands for itself or you have a limited but passionate player base (which is not hte worst thing).

I still hope you do your Potter game. To be honest. Winged. Harry Potter. :p

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Or maybe... Metal Gear meets Harry Potter? [face_batting]

"I hear it's really amazing when the famous butter beer mug, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on wizard rock. I need wingardium leviosa! 61!"

13. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Harry Potter really......really?????

Ugh no way. Not that the harry potter books were not interesting it is that I've had enough of that stuff. No offense really.

It would be interesting if by chance there was smaller RPG about a small business and lives of the people in it. It would be quite interesting especally if all the people got to bring in there outside lives it would be quite interesting ..... hmmm.

Or maybe just another soap opera... oh good grief. [face_laugh]

14. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Has anyone ever tried out a mob family RPG? I think Ramza had one up but I can't find it.

That being said, I think a mob family RP would be awesome, especially one based on Coruscant. You could manage your family to the extent that you the player would feel comfortable with, and a GM could guide people through a story designed to have the families at war with each other.

Eh?

PS: Where's my interest for a Rome RPG?

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That was actually MiB with that mob family game you're thinking of... probably. My own has been in my perpetual back burner and never acted on.

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Warning: a Rome RPG has serious potential ramifications. It may wind up pulling GrandAdmiralJello back here if he gets wind of it. :D :D :D

17. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Hahaha. There's literally so much material there, you could devote a whole sub Forum to it.

I was wondering about it when I saw something over at the Total War Center forums where they ridiculously micro-manage everything, which isn't my style.

I was thinking something to do with the Rhine Legions, because I haven't been able to stop reading about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.

EDIT: Or you could do Patricians in Rome arguing about how much money they all have, or the managers of ludi. Or anything else I can think of in the next ten minutes :p

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm calling dibs on Titus ****ING Pullo, right now.

:D

BLemelisk likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Senators, how do we vote?

[​IMG]

**** THE POOR!

BLemelisk likes this.
  20. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Titus Pullo was the Joker's father.

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    "About your father..."

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Rhine Legions, Arminius, the Warusbattle? Haha, I know a User who grew up in that region. Good stuff, if you ASK me. Also more Spartacus than Rome probably. But good material.

23. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Sirak, that's real cool to hear. It's the most important battle ever fought if you ask me. Plus, the German name of the battle sounds so awesome to say haha.

A gladiator game could be gold also, considering Spartacus and my man Batiatus. But that show kind of started to lose me.

My idea was something along the lines of Roman border guards and their troubles along the Rhine. Or something King Arthur-theme with Romans abandoned in Britain when the empire pulled out.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Like the sound of "Last Romans in Britain". I can probably fake it well enough to get by ... and I confess the most recent King Arthur film is a guilty pleasure of mine.

EDIT: And in all seriousness, PM Jello - he might well enjoy some gaming in what I had understood is his favourite historical period (Rome generally, not Britain specifically...)

25. Sengoku

Sengoku Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2012
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a High Fantasy RP (somewhat akin to Dungeons & Dragons but not precisely) where a world is created by the players and they populate it with deities/races/history that other players can draw off of?

It could be more like a free-form sort of thing, where one player might have created the God of Justice and supplies an adventure for the players to partake in.

I dunno, just a thought.