main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Invisible Enemy -- (An-Paj!) COMPLETE and with thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jane Jinn, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    ACK! [face_panicking] I didn't mean to say anything was dull! It just didn't seem like a sufficiently startling way to get a Jedi into a purple cloak. Which of course, in a way, makes it the most realistic way to get one. But I still vote for some sort of fun undercover business or something... I'm glad to see I have company in the clamoring for the story of the purple cloak stakes though.

"plot we got, quite a lot." (Where the heck is that from? I can't remember anything anymore... oh, yeah, Court Jester Opening Credits song - Now that is a great movie) What kind of plot do you want? (I'm so desperate to learn about that cloak I'll do almost anything to help move that forward.)

KD

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Purple cloak- I want a purple cloak story

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Oh, wow, that was beautifully written Jane. Loved how Alta comforted her there, and that she lit the pyre. Very well done.

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm all for the purple cloak story. You're right - it does sound very cloak-and-daggerish. ;) The Purple Pimpernel? :D

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    dianethx No, Kiu shouldn't dismiss that feeling so easily. I wanted to indicate their presence without actually showing the blue ghosts.

Thank you, I'm sure I shall enjoy my time in America. I understand you're taking a vacation, too? Have fun!

PadawanKitara Here, take this tissue.

DarthIshtar Great post? Why, thank you. Kiu does have some vindication for the visions. You'll find out later why there wasn't more.

Tahi Thank you for the "lovely scene" and I'm planning on having a great trip. :)

Knight_Dilettante It's always great to hear that my writing has emotional effects on people. By the time I get done writing each scene, I'm immune to what's going on, and can't see the forest for the trees, or the scene for the words.

DarthIshtar You're begging for the Big Purple Cloak Story, too? Oh, dear.

Knight_Dilettante Court Jester ... ? I won't ask. What kind of plot do I want? I'm not sure, but I'll know it when I see it.

PadawanKitara Subtle use of colour there ... very subtle. ;)

padawan lunetta Thank you.

Tahi The Purple Pimpernel? *gasps happily* I think I might just have my plot. Yippee! How annoying that I must now spend four weeks away from my computer!

I've asked Renata to post the rest of the story while I'm gone, and when I come back, I might add an epilogue. But in the meantime, let me just say: Thank you so much for reading and replying. Thank you for nominating and voting for this story in the awards. Thank you for everything, in fact! :)

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    gGone? Don't use that word around me!

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Yes, I'm going to be in Europe while you're in the States. We can wave to each other as we pass in the night. LOL.

And I wish to add my voice for a purple cloak story. Of course, I also want to know where he got the red pajamas and if the Council approves.... :D

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, my dears! By this time, Jane should be safely in Utah, visiting family and I hope she is having a great time. I am missing her a lot, though. You will all have to make up for it.

Myself, I had a wonderful time visiting my parents, even though my online time was much curtailed. So that?s why you haven?t heard much from me. Didn?t do much of anything except attend two family weddings. So, to start off,

CONGRATULATIONS, ISHTAR!! Hope the wedding was great. Are you coming down off the excitement high?

And a big thank you to Tahi and dianethx. Writing the negotiation scene was the hardest one I?d had to do. AND I was thinking of Kitara and her legal background, and worried that it wouldn?t ?jibe? with her. So I hope it was okay!

I laugh at this too, Tahi: LOL - for some reason I suddenly had an image of Hachas bursting forth into song like Pavarotti. Of course, he?d only do it at the exact moment calculated to bring Kiu the maximum embarrassment! BTW, are you a grandma yet?

Glad you?re liking it, Lunetta! We are close to the end, though not quite there, and Jane did hint at an epilogue when she returns.

No plans for another joint story immediately, Dilletante, sorry, but we?ve both got stuff in the works, so who knows? I will join in the chorus, wondering about the FULL story behind the Purple Cloak.

Welcome, Sarah_K and Lucy. I was thinking about your comment: This whole thing brings to mind a curious sort of wondering: it must be so odd for children born to Jedi! Well, that would be Arwen. Her parents turned her over to the crèche, feeling that she should have the same upbringing as her classmates. So she?s not that much more closely attached to her father than any of the others, though she has seen a bit more of him.

Well, let?s see? here?s a bit more.

Trett craned his neck, trying to see out the window. It was no good; the bed was too far away. The shutters were open, admitting the last warmth of autumn into the recovery room, and from the low murmur of voices he knew that the younger Padawans were still outside, working to restore the gardens to beauty and prepare the beds to be replanted before winter came on. Arwen was among them, and he'd been hoping to watch her.

He didn't dare try to raise himself up. Fifteen hours in surgery, seventy-two hours straight in bacta and he was alive. And that was about all that could be said. He'd tried to sit up by himself a few days ago. That had been a huge mistake. The sharp pains stabbing through his midsection had literally taken his breath away and brought all sorts of medical personnel rushing to his bedside. It had also brought a white-faced Padawan who had stayed beside him long after she should have gone to dinner and her own bed. He couldn't bear seeing her upset on account of his own stupidity, and he was behaving. But the boredom was getting to him.

There was a soft noise, the sensation of a presence... before he could react, something leaped up to the foot of his bed. The Beast. Trett froze as the large tom cat looked at him with an unblinking stare. He was helpless here. The cat slowly stalked up the bed, never taking those huge golden eyes off the young Master's face. At Trett's hip, he paused, and bent his head to sniff at the hand lying there. Trett forced himself to stay still. He liked cats well enough, and had gotten along with them, until the Beast. Now he held his breath, waiting for his arm to be clawed to shreds. To his surprise, the Beast flopped down on the bed beside him, leaning up against his hip. Hardly daring to breathe, Trett raised his hand to cautiously stroke the animal. He was rewarded with a loud purr. Trett exhaled. It looked as if he'd get to keep his fingers.

"There you are!" Trett looked up with surprise at the woman striding through the doorway. Healer An-Paj's wife, the bossy one... An- An-Taec, that was it. She dropped unceremoniously into the chair next to his bed, and looked at him with a disapproving frown on

9. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I love how you left it right there. Now we can all conjure up images of poor Trett, about to get chewed out by a very angry wife. With only the Beast to protect him.

No problems with your negotiations. My negotiations usually take on the appearance of a car sale. rapid fire numbers being thrown across the table. Of course there was that time when we started with Golden retrievers and ended with bunny rabbits- The insurance examiner ran out of the courtroom screaming that we were all mad. After she left, we settled the case in 5 minutes!

10. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nearly a grandma, Renata. Only 3 weeks to go. :)

Congrats, Ishtar. After 25 years I can safely say that marriage has its ups and downs, but the ups tend to overshadow the downs.

The Beast opened one eye, studied her without any particular interest, and resumed his nap.
    LOL - That reminded me of my old tortoiseshell cat. I love the cat scenes in the story. Meow. ;)

Ooh! Great ending. I think Trett is in for a talking to. :)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My poor hubby. I slap his hands if he tickles me by accident, insist he does the dishes if I cook dinner, won't let him leave smelly socks on the kitchen table... And he likes to argue on every point. Like yesterday, "You're being unreasonable. You can't dislike guacamole on your hot dog. It's healthier for you!" "Hon, I can't like guacamole on my hot dog because it tastes NASTY! Not because it has too many carbs or something!" THere was one night when we had couch duty assigned, but I claimed the couch because it's the only piece of comfortable furniture in our apartment! It's rather amusing, sometimes. But going back home to Boston and seeing all my friends and going, "Yeah, I'm here with my HUSBAND" was so fun. The wedding was a bit hilarious, with a Precious Moment (where he dropped the ring and was scrambling around on the floor of the temple to get it), the great dress escapade (he ripped it at the side seam while walking me to the altar, then bumped into my shoulder with baked brie and left a huge red stain, and all my bridesmaids kept standing on it during pictures), the pictures at the reflecting pool (It was a windy day and when the fountain came on, the wind made it drench us in the middle of a really romantic picture), and the flowers (He kind of half-crushed the bouquet by dropping it on the way to the car for the reception). But all in all, a fun time. And my mom wrote a parody of "Modern Major General" called "They are the very model of a matrimonial miracle." Very funny.

Anyway, yeah, that sentence is not a good portent, usually.

12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    From bunnies to Golden Retrievers... I have a feeling there's a story in THAT case, Kitara! Should email you my brother's address; he's in law school and making mutterings about insurance. Maybe you could talk him out of it!

Three weeks, Tahi... bet your daughter is in the "going nuts" stage right about now.

And we can all chuckle envisioning Ishtar's wedding. I'm with your hubby on the guacamole thing. Guacamole is for baked tortilla chips. Mustard and relish or sauerkraut is for dogs. :D (Love to see you order a dog w/guac at Fenway... "Say WHAT, lady?")

13. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    LOL! I loved how Trett views the cat, The Beast. (Funny though, that was what my siblings and I used to call our oldest sister. Now that she's married, we call her and her husband Beastlier and the Beast ;))

Me thinks Trett's going to be having a lecture about Wiyella.... :D :D :D :D :D

Cute how he tried to get up, but worried Arwen so much he couldn't do it any more. I love it!

Soo Jane's out here in Utah??? That's where I live! :D

14. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    guac on a hot dog is disgusting- even by calif. standards. But I heard in Chicago they put tomatoes on the hot dogs- ewwwwww

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, I was the one who didn't want guacamole. I was a Spanish missionary, for crying out loud, of course I like guacamole, but not like that! The furthest I'll go is tabasco sauce on mashed potatoes.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I wish we could find her and ambush her, luney. I'm back in Provo.

17. Emma3Jane

Emma3Jane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    Hi Mistress Renata & Jane Jinn!

Hoy! Don't faint people, just Emma delurking from limbo to say "WOW!" I read this story from start to here as a procrastination exercise. Glad to have helped in a tiny scientific way with this fic, it turned out great! :)

You know that An-Teac rocks! And if I didn't already know that Trett survives past Arwen's knighthood, I would have worried when the psimire stung him. Yrrch! What an nightmare creature, which means, of course, that I loved it! :)

Of course I love the Beast. I have the Beast, and the occassional shredded body part to show for it. :) Glad that you put the cat scene back in!

Now that I am married (yeah!) and not posting as a Knottie or Indie, I should have more time to hang out here again.

Thanks for an enjoyable distraction from Darth RL and the endless job applications. *sigh*

Emma

Latte in hand, Cat in lap. Plot bunnies on the brain. . .

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Think she could handle us, Ishie? ;)

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think she'd be scared spitless at first, if I remember you correctly, but then have lots of fun.

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Here I am, covered in paint (painting my tent poles for my upcoming trip). After I post this, it?s off for some quality time with the mineral spirits, though I think my nails are destined to remain blue for a long time to come.

First of all? E3J!!! :eek: Welcome back! Hope this is the necessary distraction, and don?t worry about the job search. Something will turn up. And Ish, Luney, you must be nice. E3J is one of my very first readers (I think Kitara was actually the very first!)

Now that she's married, we call her and her husband Beastlier and the Beast LOL, lunetta! But to her face?

Okay, won?t keep you. Here is a bit more. (I?m off to the turpentine?)

An-Taec looked at him for a moment. "How do you feel?"

"Um, okay."

She arched an eyebrow. "You're lying."

Trett sighed. "I feel as okay as can be expected under the circumstances," he said. "I mean, if you have a giant, poison-tipped spike driven into your body a couple of times, you can't expect that a little bacta is going to make you feel great."

She smiled. "I'm sorry. You don't need to be polite with me, you know." An-Taec hesitated, then added, "I am glad you're going to recover. You saved my husband's life."

Trett frowned. "I don't know... he seemed to be doing pretty well for himself."

"No," she said. "He told me he didn't think he could have gotten the door down. He would have died of hypothermia. Even if you did have an ulterior motive --or two-- I am grateful."

Trett wanted to argue a bit more. He was a Jedi, and the Order looked out for each other. But An-Taec was pretty determined to thank him. "Well," he replied, "I have to thank YOU for turning up with that ship at exactly the right moment. There's no way we would have escaped otherwise." He gave her an appraising glance. "And I'm told you came in through the skylight? Now THAT'S an entrance!"

An-Taec actually blushed, her skin deepening from a delicate azure to almost turquoise. "It's going to sound horrible," she said, "and at the time I was so worried and upset, and all I could think about was how to get there, but... I enjoyed it. I really, really enjoyed it. For the first time in... oh, I don't know how long! I really felt... I dunno. Useful. Like I was doing something to make a difference. I can't describe it."

Trett grinned. "You don't have to," he said. "I know exactly how it feels. To know that you're not just existing. To know that something you've done has helped other people, that you've made some sort of contribution to the Universe." They relaxed for a minute, both remembering.

An-Taec shook her head. "But that wasn't why I came to talk to you," she said.

Trett's internal defenses came up instinctively. "Oh?"

"I think the Force intended me to come along to help you."

"Possibly."

"No, no. I mean, to help clarify things for you."

Trett looked at her blankly. "I'm not quite following," he said.

An-Taec sighed. "I think that my being along may ensure that you're able to... get closer to... to a certain person."

Trett was confused by that, and glanced automatically to the window, though he still wasn't able to see the Padawans working. True, if An-Taec hadn't been along, Arwen could have died, but-

"Not her," said An-Taec, sounding impatient. The Beast opened his eyes again and lifted his head in the woman's direction.

"Not Arwen?" Trett repeated, not comprehending what An-Taec was getting at, and wondering if he'd sustained some kind of brain injury that he didn't remember. By the way An-Taec was looking at him, she was probably wondering the same thing herself.

"An older female," An-Taec said, standing up suddenly. She walked to the door, then turned around and gave him a final hint. "A blonder female."

It took a few moments for him to process that, and then he went cold all over. How could she have known? Had anyone else realized it? For one moment, possibilities, hopes all merged in his head and then he dismissed them firmly. A Jedi may not kn

21. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Trett really is thick when it comes to a certain female. And I love how the cat showedno reaction until An-Taec got irritated.

As for first reader, I think EJ3 beats me by a year. I joined the party in progress with her, Sara and good ole furryduck.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::snickersnicker.:: REnata, whaddya mean we have to be nice? We're always nice. That's what people living in the Brigham Bubble do best!

23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Howdy, all! A quick post, since I?m at the ceremony for the ?Beyond the Saga? Awards. And a favor, for anyone so inclined: please remember my friend Lauren in your prayers. She?s been battling cancer for a few years, now, and has just learned it?s spread. She?s the mother of a precious 2 year old girl and just all-around so kind and sweet, and doesn?t deserve this! Okay. Back to business?

Well, you weren?t that far along, Kitara. And in fairness to Trett, he knows full well what his feelings are, so he?s not ENTIRELY clueless. He?s maybe too concerned with following the rules, though? We?ll have to work on that.

Renata, whaddya mean we have to be nice? We're always nice. That's what people living in the Brigham Bubble do best! Ah, but I know you too well, Ish! ;)

Right. This next bit is Jane?s, but since she?s enjoying family time, she asked me to keep posting.

The cafeteria no longer stank of hot minne and Kiu found her appetite returning. had just sat down at the table with her breakfast tray when she saw Mistress Corona come striding purposefully towards her. She didn't have time to warn Hachas, who was seating himself across from her, because the Councilwoman was already there.

"Good morning to you both," the older woman smiled. "Knight Tlatilco, I'm so glad that you've recovered."

"I rather liked it in the infirmary," Hachas replied contemplatively. "Nothing to do but rest, and be waited on hand and foot. Imagine my shock when they booted me out this morning before breakfast."

Mistress Corona lifted one eyebrow. "Then no doubt you're bored out of your mind and ready for some action."

"At your service, as always, Mistress."

"Actually, it's Kiu I want to borrow this morning," Mistress Corona explained. "I have to sort out a few personal effects and I thought that Kiu could keep me company."

"I'd be happy to help," Kiu said.

"Good." Mistress Corona turned to Hachas. "Knight Smood is organizing work details, and should be along any minute now. Check with him whenever you're ready, and Kiu can come to my office."

Kiu didn't rush, but breakfast never lasted long anyway, and she was soon ready to join the Councilwoman. Organizing a hovercart with several collapsible boxes on top, which she let Kiu push, Mistress Corona led the way up to the second floor and guided Kiu towards a room on the other side of the same corridor where Kiu and Hachas had their quarters. Once in front of the door, however, she hesitated, and for a moment, Kiu thought she was going to turn away and go somewhere else first. But then she lifted her hand and pressed the button, and when the door opened, she squared her shoulders ever so slightly and walked in.

Kiu followed her in and glanced around. With a few small articles on the shelf and a brightly coloured rug that certainly had not come from Jedi stores, the room showed signs of having been a home, and not just temporary quarters like the ones that she and Hachas had been assigned.

"Master Xieran lived here," Mistress Corona said in a soft voice.

"Who was he?" Kiu asked. She didn't recognize the name, and didn't think she'd come across the knight in any of their other visits to Sarawaksala.

Mistress Corona moved slowly across the room to the desk by the window. Data chips and holo recorderings were set out in neat rows on the surface, as though prepared for something, and the older woman picked up the small holorecorder that lay directly in front. When she activated the button for the last entry, a face that was eerily familiar to Kiu sprang into view, and she recognized the voice as he spoke the date.

The old master! The man who'd handed out the gas masks in the south corridor before Kiu had met up with Mistress Corona - the one who'd told her to use her strengths and see! At the time, she'd regretted leaving him behind, and now that he was dead, she regretted it even more. If only she'd stayed behind ... but if she had, Mistress Corona might be dead now, instead of him. Kiu sighed at the dil

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awwwwwwwwwww...that IS depressing.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Stealing 1100 for having a really Sithy day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.