main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Is Disney trying to destroy the current state of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    For action figure collectors such as myself, it seems that we have entered in some really dark times. That and the fact that a lot of major project were cancelled also is disconcerting to me.

Bad line cancelled.
    Vintage line on hold or cancelled.
    Clone wars toy line done.
    Clone Wars TV show canned.
    Star Wars 1313 out the air lock.
    3D release of original movie and prequels canned.

While i appreciate the fact that this is should slow down Hasbro from making another 100 th clone variation instead of the important figures. I am left pondering what the future holds for collectors now.
    Canning an unfinished clone wars show also leaves me pondering as to what is really going on.

We got the announcement that a new movie was coming but we lost so much in return collecting wise.

For toy collectors,I wonder now if all the flack that hasbro is getting is "all" deserved. It seems now that since Disney took over they have decided to completely wipe things out and start things over as is nothing before as existed. I am not real happy with this to tell you the truth. It means that Disney could walk in at any moment and if they are not happy they could veto a marketing decision and just cancel a product out of the blue. :(

For the Star Wars collector it seems that anything and everything can happen on a moment's notice. I would not be surprised to see EA have to close KOTR online now since Disney might feel that it might not be a strong enough product for the franchise.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I do think Disney is trying to snip off all the loose ends of what Lucasfilm had in production before the sale to streamline the business to turn into whatever (probably sequel & spin-off movie) factory it wants to be. Some are a bit big to completely cut off, Lucasfilm animation and Clone Wars S6 seem a bit big to just completely curb stomp, but I can see stuff like Star Wars 1313 or Underworld or Detours being never mentioned again. I think the 3D re-releases will definitely happen at some point, for all the movies in the saga so they can sell 3D Blu Rays, just not this year.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  3. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I don't see the 3d release happening anytime soon, sadly. Well at least for the OT.

4. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I have no idea about them destroying the current state, but if Episode VII is really coming in 2015, I don't think we'll be able to move for Star Wars related stuff in 2014.

What better way to lead up to the release of the new movie than to re-release all the others?

5. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    To address some of these concerns:

Vintage was taken out before the deal was done, we knew that would happen.

BAD- This I might actually put on Disney/Lucasfilm's shoulders, but I think this happened so they could apply the saved cost on tooling to start prepping Episode VII stuff.

Clone Wars I think this is more of Hasbro's doing then anything else. Poor distribution and repacks galore tanked this line.

Clone Wars TV- Going against the doom sayers, I don't believe for an instant that we won't be seeing season 6 this a fall. Disney XD baby.

Star Wars 1313- Yeah I think this was Disney putting the brakes on this one. Mainly because it was a cross company production and they want everything from that end focused on the sequels.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    We have a lot of Disney threads already. See the index at the top for just a couple of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.