main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me that strongly dislikes Mace Windu and thinks he is overrated as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CommanderTano96, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I suspect that many fans' dislike of Mace Windu has nothing to do with George Lucas' direction. Only they do not want to admit the real reason behind this dislike.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Speaking of ascribing hidden motives...I love Mace but I'm not going to assume that someone who dislikes him, has some "hidden motive." They probably dislike him for whatever reasons they gave for disliking him.

There seems to be quite a bit of assumption of "hidden motives" for disliking characters on this site; I've been accused of hating strong women because I don't like Ahsoka or Mara Jade. (Bringing that one up as an example because it's too ****ing hilarious not to repeat.). But no one assumes hidden motives behind liking a character. Nobody accuses Darth Vader fans of having a secret iron lung fetish or wishing they could choke random people.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Movie-wise I'm meh about him. Comic, book and TV wise I like him better.
    He should have been the one to fight Dooku in AOTC instead of Yoda.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't see how Windu is overrated. Right from TPM he is introduced as a straight to the point no-bull**** character, like most of the characters Jackson plays. When we finally get to see him in action he kills Jango Fett quite easily (the same guy who gave Obi-Wan the fight of his life) and is the only Jedi who defeats Sidious is single combat. He definitely lives up to character he is built up to be.

5. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I disliked him in TPM and ROTS, but he's much more tolerable in AOTC. In TCW it seems he slowly develops from his AOTC character into his ROTS character. In the season finale I grew a powerful dislike for everyone on the Council except for Ki Adi, Obi-Wan, Plo, and Yoda

sith_rhino and SithStarSlayer like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah nobody accuses us, but this is so me.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, the truth is out. Vader fans have anger issues and are inexplicably turned on by life-saving medical technology. Beware the fan who says that Vader is a cool badass or a well- done villain, people. :p

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I really wasn't keeping it secret, it just never came up in conversation. Not that that usually stops me.

But the wheeze is so hot.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I personally like Mace. He's one of my favorite Jedi from the old Jedi Order.

rumsmuggler and FRAGWAGON like this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Mace upsets a few people's perceived power hierarchy apple carts.

11. TheDisharmony

TheDisharmony Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2013
    No one likes Mace. End of story.

12. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I like Mace. Story reboot:D

13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I hate to always be a committed contrarian, everyone needs a breather now and then, but I must confess I love Mace Windu. Would love to see a standalone movie about him.

14. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I am a fan of SLJ overall (especially in Pulp Fiction), but I am not overly fond of his portrayal of Mace Windu.

15. starwarsjunkie7

starwarsjunkie7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 16, 2011
    "Get these MF Sith off this MF planet!" -Deleted scene from ROTS

rumsmuggler and Pensivia like this.
  16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    He's so boring in the movies. I like him in the EU though.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Shatterpoint: one of the best EU books written.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If Mace Windu only appeared in Shatterpoint and the ROTS novelization he would be one of my favorite characters.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think it's a well written book but it's not on the same level as Traitor or ROTS.

20. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    You make a good point, though I might counter that Mace should know a bit more about human nature, and be able to read Anakin better in order to make the decision to trust him. A good coach/manager/teacher knows that people are different and need different types of motivation in order to get the desired result from them. Yes, Anakin behaved improperly and was in the wrong, but Mace could have handled things better. Again, maybe Lucas is trying to make the point that thge Jedi have become arrogant and lost their way, but Mace didn't behave like I'd expect a Jedi master to.

minnishe likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not the issue of trusting him or not- it's the fact that, effectively, he says to Anakin's face "I don't trust you" by saying that he'll have earned Mace's trust if what he's told Mace turns out to be true.

Not the most diplomatic way of handling things, it must be said.

22. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Completely agree. I'm not saying that they should wrap him up in bubble wrap, But just show a little bit of faith in him every once in a while. There are times Anakin's attitude got the best of him (like putting him on the council scene) I think that Mace was right to put him in his place.

But if they would have shown more faith in him, maybe just maybe he would have felt more comfortable talking to them about the issues he had regarding his mother and with Padme, rather then going to Palpatine and inadvertently telling your weaknesses to a manipulating, cunning and scheming Sith Lord.

I'm also struggling to think of a time where Mace did actually say anything nice about Anakin in the films, I honestly can't think of one.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In the novelization, he was very concerned about Anakin when Anakin found him to tell him that Palpatine was a Sith. Apparently Anakin was shaking and pale and sweaty, and Mace told him to sit down before he passed out (something like that, it's been awhile since I read it).

I go back and forth about whether Mace taking Anakin with him would have made a difference, but now I lean towards no. Anakin wanted that power that Palpatine offered and if Mace drew his saber on Palpatine, it would not have mattered if Anakin had been standing there all along or came in later.

rumsmuggler and FARK2005 like this.
  24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Is this supposed to be a condemnation of Mace? What about Yoda? He has never said anything nice about Anakin. At least Mace had expressed belief in the idea of Anakin as the Chosen One for a period of time. He certainly seemed opened to this idea in AOTC . . . unlike Obi-Wan. Their positions changed after the Clone Wars and especially after the discovery of a connected between a Sith lord and Palpatine's circle right before ROTS.

New

End of story? Who are you to speak for every SW fan in existence?​

By the way, Mace read Anakin pretty well in the ROTS movie. He ordered Anakin to remain behind, stating that he sensed a good deal of emotional confusion and fear within the younger man. And he was right.

25. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you are suggesting that many fans are racist. Is that accurate?

rumsmuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.