main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is jacen a moron for not using the force?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by yoddles, Feb 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoddles

yoddles Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2000
    this kid tries to be like yoda in his approach but i think yoda would laugh in his face for refusing to use the force.

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
  3. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    He'll learn. He's still learning what being a Jedi means. I bet stuff like that's happened in the history of the Jedi Order before. I'd guess that whatever apprentices did that either started using it again or died. Let's hope that he learns and starts using it again. I don't think that Han would be able to handle losing his best friend and eldest son so soon after one another.

4. Rogue_Solo

Rogue_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2001
    To me, Jacen just seems really confused.If you get confused, you tend to stop doing what's making you confused,at least I know I do.

5. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Yes, Jacen is a hippie moron.

6. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Actually, to me, Jacen is quite intelligent. He likes to know what he is doing, and he wants to do it right. He wants to learn what path he has in the Universe. What's his mission in life. And he did great in Balance Point. I totally like him. His character is just great!

7. Angel_Jade

Angel_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2000
    I personally have a problem with people who just give up their gifts. I mean their there for a reason, they shouldn't just be given up like that. Maybe he thought that his reasons were good enough to warrent that but in my opinion I don't think there is any good reason for that.

8. Darth_Darev

Darth_Darev Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2001
    I found Jacen smart yet annoying in Balance Point. He has such a gift and doesn't use it. I prefer Anakin over Jacen but in the end...when Jacen did use the force, he saved Leia. So to answer the question I think Jacen is very confused yet, very cool.

9. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Okay, Arna to the rescue for Jacen's reputation...again. How many times have I saved him...sigh...here I go again.

Jacen is 17, he's idealistic, and is very torn. This kid hasn't led a normal life at all. He'd been kidnapped like how many times, had to walk in the shadow of his family, cut his girlfriend's arm off, and then finds himself in the middle of some sort of war. Needless to say, the kid has been forced to grow up more then he should have been. He's 17 and already has a full time job to put up with. He is also concerned with his parent's relationship, and let's face it, the one with his brother isn't going so hot either. He's near the end of his adolescence, and hasn't had a girlfriend (big ego damage there for someone who isn't stupid, ugly, or mean). There is a lot of emotional stress for him. Chewie died, Mara has some sort of disease, his sister had a loss of eyesight, and the fate of a planet was in his hands. Come on people, how would you do in a situation like this? Meanwhile, he's questioning his role, worried about the path he has to take. Okay, how many of you that were 17 questioned the college you wanted to attend, or what job you wanted to go into? Now, we have this guy, who wants to be something to change the world, something to make a difference (wants to be everything for the Beatles "Revolution" ) and doesn't know. Clearly, he wants to be something. He doesn't want to use the Force, because A. it may make a difference, and B. he's concerned with slipping. It's like eating when you're overweight. There's nothing WRONG with that, but you're concerned that you might get lethargic, so you stop. Bad analogy, but that's the best I can think of right now. You just don't want to push it. Jacen knows what he's doing. Don't blame the kid so much. He's a troubled person and takes on the responsibility for a lot of it.

10. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Please check your morals at the door before entering into Total War.

11. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Those kids had/have it just as bad as Jacen, if not more so, yet *they* aren't moping around feeling sorry for themselves.

12. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm 16 and guilty of this, Jacen is OVERTHINKING matters that don't need it. He has good instincts, except for the helska thing...

13. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    Jacen is the best EU character ever created. (besides Mara, Thrawn, and all the TZ characters :) )

Here's a question for all you who think it's stupid for him to not use the Force: What if using the Force meant tipping the scale of the battle against the Vong? You can never be too sure, and Jacen is absolutely right.

14. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Tipping the scale of battle against the Vong is what they're suppose to be doing. How else are you suppose to beat them?

15. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    What that *meant* was against the NR, not the Vong.

Silly me :)

16. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Against the NR? Killing Vong could only help the NR, not hinder it in anyway. Should the Vong get more agressive, simply kill more of them with increasing frequency.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Like somebody said, Jacen not using the Force is like somebody who doesn't like seeing, so they close their eyes.

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    ?Jacen not using the Force is like somebody who doesn't like seeing, so they close their eyes.?

I very much disagree with that statement. To me, its come across more like a person born incredibly rich who temporarily gives up their fortune to live like everyone else. He could continue to dwell in his ivory tower, never looking outside except when he?s forced to (i.e. Anakin), or he could actually go out and get his hands dirty, and discover whom he really is.

I think Jacen is already very close to being a Jedi Master, in that he has the proper attitude. Possibly, since Balance Point, he has the power as well. Unlike Jaina (who never seems to think about the Force) and Anakin (who thinks about the Force only as a tool to help him blow more stuff up), Jacen is constantly thinking about the nature of the Force, and it?s proper use. He is the most moral conscious of the Solo kids. Jaina just follows orders, not worrying about what?s right and what?s wrong. I?m starting to wonder if Anakin ever wonders about right and wrong, or just assumes he?s always right. Jacen thinks before he acts, and he isn?t ashamed of going to other?s to get their input too.

19. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    Gandolf said: Jacen is constantly thinking about the nature of the Force, and it?s proper use. He is the most moral conscious of the Solo kids.

Agreed. Jacen is questioning - that is what 17 year olds should do. He is questioning everything, including his role in the Force. He wants to know what his role in the Force is, in the world before he truly makes use of it as an adult. He is learning how to become a man, go from boy to man. And because of his connection to the Force, he sees how dangerous the path is.

Given his legacy - with grandpa Anakin going dark, and Luke slipping in the dark stuff a few times, it is really great that Jacen is taking his time, despite whatever is going on in the galaxy. He is taking time to think about the Force, its nature and himself. But when it comes time that he really does need to use it - in BP, he does so and brilliantly. I like Jacen very much. He shows much more maturity than his siblings thus far.

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I spend most of "Balance Point" waiting for Jacen to snap out of it, yet I can understand where he is coming from.
    He has grown up his entire life being told his future is already set, not by his family but being a child of a public family makes you unfairly subject of public opinion. And not only is Jacen supposed to be a jedi, but the division between Kyp and Luke's ways of thinking are confusing Jacen as to how a jedi is supposed to be. They don't have the luxury of seeing Episode I, like we do and much of what the world knows about the jedi has been corrupted by Palpatine. Jacen has great respect and a disire to bring the old ways of the jedi back, if anyone knew exactly what those were. Jacen has some growing to do as a jedi and as a man; and if he's not sure what he's doing, I'd rather he not use his powers then use them poorly.

21. Rogue-Jedi

Rogue-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2001
    First of all:

If anyone reads this, you really care about these things.....

Next: GrandAdmiral, have you read Conquest yet, you'll lose another disciple.

Finally: Jacen is smart for questioning the Force, but really, fighting with a lightsaber without the Force is like swinging a sword around, then realising you cut yourself.

My two cents,

Rogue-Jedi

22. JediGazza

JediGazza Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2001
    Jacen Solo has been annoying me throughout the series but I have come to accept him, he is philosiphical thinker trying to survive in an order constructed by someone who was trained as a warrior to kill the Sith. Anakin is a warrior like his uncle and a master of technology like his dad. He is pure rogue Jedi material that I like but he is a much more shallow character (well that was until Conquest finally one of my favourite characters go tthe attention he deserved) Jaina is a pilot Jedi who wouldn't give a care in the world about the deeper meaning to everything, she is the most mature of the three, she knows what she knows, and she gets on with the fight. Jacen is confused and doesnt know what to do. I predict we haven't seen the last of it. In the finale, I predict we will see Jacen finally come to his senses and join his family, although not the full bore warrior his brother is, he will end up real Jedi material. Kyp said in conquest Luke is turning into Obi-Wan, that is hogwash, I think once he gets past his problems Jacen will be an Obi-Wan, intelligent, peaceful able but when the time calls for it ready to fight and kick butt!

23. Darth_Kettch

Darth_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2001
    "With great power comes great responsibility"

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

Jacen's uncle is killed by a common thief (or vong, whatever you prefer), and after that, he'll realize that he should ACT, and use his powers for combating evil.
    However, fearing for his dear aunt's life, he'll have to disguise himself...
    Jediman is born!

24. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Yes he is but he is still a teenager and he will get it together. Hopefully soon.

25. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Yes, Jacen is a stupid, tree-hugging, Fey'lya praising idiot. His parents didn't beat him enough as a kid. Even Yoda would think he's stupid for not using the Force. Where did he get such a stupid theory from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.