main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there an EU explanation for "Look Sir, Droids"?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jp-30, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draco_Starcloud

Draco_Starcloud Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    Maybe the trooper went there the night before and PLANTED <trumpet fanfare> the gasket so he could earn Brownie Points with his commanding officer, thus starting him on the fast track towards becoming Emperor of the Empire without Bob Palpatine knowing!

(New Page Activate! Inside joke.)

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    <rubs beard thoughtfully>

Is this the same guy who tells the gunner to "hold his fire" on the escape pod? Since when do we see the Empire conserving Turbolaser power?

3. Draco_Starcloud

Oct 25, 2001
    Of course not. That's his EVIL TWIN BROTHER <trumpet fanfare> who is trying to make the gunners look stupid for his own amusement and to convince his boss he needs to be Supreme Commander of the Imperial Navy to "get rid of idiot gunners" like his gunners. This, of course, fails as noone is dumb enough (except for Vice-Admiral Stupidguy who has maintainance droids for a bridgecrew aboard his flagship.) to put him in command on anything except a bunch of stupid gunners. Coincidently, soon afterwards, Vice Admiral Stupidguy put this guy in charge of a small taskforce of Dreadnaughts and the guy ended up crashing them into each other at some anonymous battle right after the Battle of Endor!

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Wasn't this in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina?

5. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I have an explanation for the original trooper in the desert, o-ring question.

There must've been tracks in the sand, because that trooper says "There was someone in the pod, the tracks head in this direction" Apparently there were no R2 tracks, because that guy has to find the gasket. So, I propose that R2 was damaged or deactivated in the pod's fall, and 3P0 was forced to carry him a fair distance away. So only his tracks were visible, indisinguishable from a non-droids. The trooper found the gasket, an as-yet unamed part that is common to droids

Case closed!

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks flare.

I just reinacted that scene with my classic action figures and a yoghurt container as the pod. And breadcrumbs as the desert.

And an o-ring as an o-ring.

Anyway, the R2 could only click, so I had to beep. Regardless, threepio did carry R2 through the breadcrumbs because R2 had dropped his o-ring, which the trooper found and deduced (with the footprints as an additional clue) that the robots were heading to Uncle Owen's house (a margarine pottle).

The rest, as they say, is history.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Is this the same guy who tells the gunner to "hold his fire" on the escape pod? Since when do we see the Empire conserving Turbolaser power?

It's not the power they were trying to conserve, it was all the damn paperwork that needs to be filled out when the laser is fired and a foreign object is destroyed. Yecch.

8. Draco_Starcloud

Oct 25, 2001
    And this is exactly why the Gunner Officer's plan failed! He didn't want to fill out the paperwork for getting replacement bridge crew members, so he used Sock Puppets!

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That's all in "Tales of a Star Destroyer bridge" right?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Bah. I can't get to sleep because I'm all itchy. My wife TOLD me not to set up that Tatooine breadcrumb scene in the bed. :(

Shoulda listened for once.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
  12. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    JP, at least you have your priorities straight. I appreciate the discomfort you are going through in order to solve the o-gasket mystery.

13. HotsForTahiri77

HotsForTahiri77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    UNBELIEVABLE! YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THE LEGEND OF STORMTROOPER BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

14. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Stormtrooper Bob is the one who found the o-ring, right? Theres a fan movie out there somewhere about him...I know i saw it once...

15. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    I think the trooper says "look sir, 'roids" . The washer/ring he holds up is just C3POs, which is why he walks so funny. He has DroidHaemmoroids. Parts of him keep falling out his arse.

16. Neonshadow

Neonshadow Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    First of all, there were tracks, clearly visible. Second, the stormtroopers were basically looking for droids, because they knew there weren't any lifeforms onboard. It was just sort of obvious. Seriously, if you were one of the stormtroopers, would you really think a salesman was on an escape pod on the Tantive IV?

Just my two cents.

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I am at a loss to explain why - when jp-30 asked for an EU explanation - no one bothered to quote the short story 'when the desert wind turns - the stormtroopers tale' by Doug Beason.

Minutes later Captain Terrik hoined Davin by the ovject. a stormtrooper riding a dewback appeared over the crest of a rise, waiting for a signal that it was the right pod.
    Captain Terrik surveyed the site. "Someone was in the pod. The tracks go off in this direction."
    Davin fished a mechanism from inside the escape pod. THere was only one thing that used such a device - an R2 unit. He held it up so all could see. "Look, sir, droids!"
    "All right. Form up. I'll inform Lord Vader the pod wasn'tdestroyed. Now we've really got to move."

So that's the closest thing we have to an EU account of the infamous line.
    Of course, the ambiguous 'mechanism' is just as useful to us as the 'o-ring' theory: but at least we now have proof positive that it was something unique to R2 series droids.

For a bit of trivia, the stormtrooper who voiced the famous line 'look, sir, droids!' was Stormtrooper 1023 of the 37th detatchment to Tatooine. Real name, Davin Felth.

Herein's my meddling in an old and forgotten thread.

Regards,
    Protégé of Thrawn.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Goodness me! :eek:

I pop in this forum for the first time in about 3 months and see my one and only (I think) EU thread on page one. What glory!

Thank you to all who contributed, and especially Protégé of Thrawn for finally coming through with the goods.

You'll all be pleased to learn that we have since changed the sheets on our bed and eradicated all the lingering breadcrumbs.

19. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    You can tell it must have been droids just from the movie. There were no life forms aboard the pod. There were tracks. That's proof enough, but the sandtroopers probably weren't bright enough to figure it out until the ring reminded them..

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You can tell it must have been droids just from the movie. There were no life forms aboard the pod. There were tracks.

Ahh, but there were 2 sets of tracks / prints. In dry sand it's hard to know in which direction tracks and prints were made. Going by tracks alone, you could conclude that a person walked to the pod (3PO's prints) and rode on a 3 wheeled vehicle from the pod (R2's tracks).

Hypothetically, of course. ;)

21. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Aha. So maybe some one walked over there, dropped an O-ring to spread misinformation, then rode away on a tricycle. [face_devil] So they were jumping to conclusions!

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If it was a restraining bolt, it could have been loosened by the banging around the droids suffered in the pod.

23. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    It was me...I planted the o-ring to frame those droids hahahaha

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Frame them for what, exactly...

Joyriding in an Escape Pod?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.