main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN is there anybody out there?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by darth_furiate, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_furiate

darth_furiate Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    does anyone post on this board anymore? hello? I would love to hear if anything interesting is going on.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i've wondered where everyone goes a bit myself.

still around everyone and a while though.

:snoopy

3. JocastaNu3

JocastaNu3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2008
    Hi,
    Family just moved to Nashville area, eventually in Franklin, and I'm just looking for a local Star Wars group. Mostly, I'm a fan, did a little collecting, but family and relocating from louisiana keeping me a little too busy for much right now. Any other local Jedi gals? Thanks
    PS do you all meet up for movie events? upcoming Clone Wars plans?

4. Lord_Kosh

Lord_Kosh Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi Again...

I was active on here about 2 years ago. I switched jobs since then and finally got to the point were I have time to rejoin the boards. I met a few over at someone's house, but I cannot recall the names of anyone I met then. It seemed they have known each other for years. While they didn't do anything to discourage me, I still felt I was intruding on a close group of friends. Most of them were very good at making authentic-looking costumes.

I have a good sized 3-3/4" SW collection, new and older. I live, think, and breath in the Star Wars Universe. I was hoping to find others that felt as I do. This seems like the right place. For a time, I was part of the Goblins_Fire roleplay posts. It was fun until the original "moderator" suddenly stopped posting anything. The humor boards used to be fun too.

I'd love to find more things to do in Nashville. Most of the things I used to do revolved around meeting friends. Most of them are no longer here or are married (with kids) and have other things they have to do. I was just curious about the local system here.

JocastaNu3 -- I happen to live in Nashville and work in Franklin every day (almost). I don't recall the other usernames on this post, but certainly would like to find out more.

I recognize some of the usernames from before, including JediChic and audiogirl21, and a few others like Kir_Kanos. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

5. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Hey all. I'm Zach Nixon and several years ago (around Celebration III) I was the city rep for this chapter. Sorry to say that a lot of activity died off because we only had a handful of active members. The most active of us have most gone over to the costume groups (501st & Rebel Legion) and that can take up a lot of the time. I spoke to JediChic07 (our last CR) about this and she admitted that the group was dying and that the other groups seemed to be the most active. Also I know she and her family are planning a move out of state in the near future. I would encourage anyone that is interested (even just a little bit) to come over and visit the local 501st (MidSouth Garrison) & RL (Correlian Base) groups. Their boards can be found at:
    MidSouth Garrison (MSG):
    Corellian Base:

You'll find a warm group of folks who will welcome you with open arms. You will find out about the most happenings over on the MSG boards. I do know that they will be doing something for the Clone Wars premieres. I just don't know what. Go over to the boards, join them and introduce yourself. I've been busy with things that I haven't been over to the boards in over a month, but phone calls and friendships with other troopers in the garrison keep me connected.

That being said, there is no reason that NAD couldn't stage a comeback. Start discussing anything in the world. Get a growing group and elect a Chapter Rep. I'm willing to help, but I cannot lead this group, I can only support it.

Well that's a short bit on what has happened to NAD and I wish it was happier news. It appears that there is a group out there interested, but we just aren't hearing from all of you. I'll try to check this board more often, but feel free to contact me about any questions, concerns, comments, or complaints at my email address: PBLNixon@hotmail.com Just put FanForce or NAD in the subject line & I promise not to ignore the message.

I assure you that Nashville (& Clarksville, Murfreesboro, Franklin, etc.) has a very active & lively Star Wars community. The bad news is that right now that community isn't here right now. I'm sorry for that, but everyone deserves to hear the truth.

Now are you going to take my comments laying down or are you going to do something to prove me wrong & bring this chapter back to life? PLEASE comment. That's the only way to restore life to the group.

Thanks,
    Zach Nixon
    Retired FF City Rep
    DVDMaster aka Zachmire
    TK/TS-3740, MidSouth Garrison

6. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi Zach,

My name is Michael Richardson. I'm not sure if you were at that particular gathering I attended with BattlefrontII or not, but I have read many of your posts. I'll take a look at the other boards you listed.

Costuming is very interesting, but I don't think I have the talent for that kind of work. Maybe as a weaponsmith...? I would like to eventually get/buy/make Imperial uniforms...and perhaps others, though I probably don't have the money to invest in another hobby, especially if I don't posess the skills needed to enjoy it. Traveling with these gas prices may be rough, but something local would work out nicely.

"Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them." Maybe we could rebuild the Jedi Council and the Imperial Remnant forces in this neck of the woods (West Nashville, Franklin, Brentwood, etc...) And where is the TwoOneBee medical droid when you need one? I have most of the Star Wars board games, as most of you probably do. Perhaps a game night somewhere central to the group, though I am not quite sure where the central point would be. Anyone have any games they have been waiting to play, that have been sitting on the shelf for a while?

Video games...PC or otherwise? I'm an Unreal Tournament fan as well...of course with as many Star Wars map, character, and voice mods as I can find. Anyone else play. UT III doesn't seem to have alot of Star Wars skins or voicepacks yet. UT 2004 has a nice array. Nothing like some capture-the-flag with imperials and rebels looking for the highest number of frags. BattleFront2 had this ability, but I don't think it supported as many human and bots at the same time. I used to play often with some college friends, so I even have TeamSpeak loaded and ready for combat.

7. Red-One

Red-One Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    And that was a problem with the Nashville Fanforce. Although I don?t think anyone was doing it intentionally, it was extremely hard for new people to join and basically the group has failed. I was active back during Episode 2 and would love to help get something started again.

8. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    With the release of the Clone Wars movie/cartoon, more excitement for the Star Wars universe should be flowing through us. Perhaps we should set up an event (game-night, movie meeting, whatever...) and see who wants to participate? Of course, by we, I mean those of us still here and reading the boards. It would be like reconstructing the Jedi order, or the new guild of Sith warriors.

So, anyone interested in a game night? If so, what game(s)?

Movie Nights worked well in the past, but when there is not alot of Star Wars movies to see. The Clone Wars cartoon is the obvious choice of movie for now. In the future, who knows.

Other ideas? If someone has other ideas for things to do, put them on the boards and we can see who is interested in what.

When? This is probably the hardest part of the "plan". Waiting too long makes people bored, but too frequent could cause issues as well. As a rough guess, I would suggest something in the next week or two...or mid September to avoid competing with Dragon Con. The "where" will depend on what we are doing, and exactly when.

Ultimately, it is going to be up to those of us still here to kick off any activity to get this going again. So who has some ideas???

9. Red-One

Red-One Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    I will make a couple suggestions.

There are several very successful groups out there. Let?s contact them and get suggestions on activities, recruiting, and why they think they have had long term success.

Since folks are not checking into this board on a regular basis, lets set a date three or four weeks out (after Dragon Con would be better for me) so the word can trickle out into this community. We use to have meetings at restaurants and those always seemed to get good attendance.

What?s everyone think of setting up a dinner meeting and talk about restarting this group.

10. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    That sounds good... see what has been successful. Several groups revolved around release parties -- for which ever Star Wars movie or re-release was due to happen next.

How about Saturday, September 20th or 27th. That gives several weeks for fine-tuning the plans...and time for word to spread.

11. JocastaNu3

JocastaNu3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    Glad to see some activity going on with the boards. I moved from Baton Rouge, and had just discovered the local group there, the Red Stick Rebellion, shortly before moving. It seemed to me to be a little hard to break in, but I think that is true of any group. They definitely got into costuming but first and foremost, they were into collecting. Their meetings seemed very successful. They did some local costuming events and some conventions, and I also think they partnered with the New Orleans group a lot. They met at the library for a monthly meeting, which was good, like a neutral place. Again, only attended a couple of meetings before getting ready to move up here, but they were a very well-run, organized group, open to new ideas, and might be a good contact for ideas.
    Was hoping to meet some local fans at a midnight showing of Clone Wars, but alas, no droids available to babysit the younglings,s o I'll have to catch it on Friday or Saturday. Have only managed one midnight showing, and that was ROTS.
    Hope to keep up with the boards, am enjoying,them very much.
    JocastaNu3
    A librarian with the Force . . . Very dangerous combination."
    --Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

12. darthleppard

darthleppard Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    I was around here before Ep. 1 and on through Ep. 3. You hit the nail on the head. Those that were the main members of this group made no new member feel especially welcome. In fact, at the Ep. 2 premiere I won an auction for a figure and donated over $100 to the group charity, afterwards I was made fun of here. Not the best way to get more members and really not a way to treat those who support your charitable cause with contributions.

13. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005

Then for everyone that is still here, this is the perfect opportunity to recreate the group. And hopefully, we will make an effort to welcome future new members as we would have liked for ourselves. Please don't hesitate to offer up suggestions. The more options we have, the more people might want to be involved.

I have a sizable collection myself, but I understand that not everyone gets into that (or can afford it). I like the idea of costuming, but with my collections, I really shouldn't start another hobby that will certainly eat up funds. And as you said, it is pretty normal for groups to become closed to outsiders. But if the others have moved on to other things, perhaps we need to start our own. Please let us know what the Red Stick Rebellion did/does to kick things off and keep the group active. Even if some activities aren't practical or no longer apply, we are bound to come up with new ones.

The (midnight) Friday, Saturday, or Sunday showing of Clone Wars is certainly the perfect event. Sorry that the droid-count is so low. I am supposed to see it with friends, but not necessarily at midnight. Also, if they back out, I'd be up for it. ...Not that I would object too much to seeing it twice if it is as good as it looks like it will be.

To create future plans, the dinner or library meeting type would be the best way to gather and formulate the goals for a new group local to Nashville --help us brainstorm and get more ideas out. But if anyone wants to meet for Clone Wars before we meet to plan group activities, that could be a good social ice-breaker. The other patrons at the theater might get upset if we plan during the movie... :D :) Of course, we all want to see the movie anyway.

One easy way to get ideas out is to see what activities any of us wanted to do as a group that didn't ever happen. What would "you", meaning each of us, like to do...or get out of the group???

14. Shint_Sattare

Shint_Sattare Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Hey everyone! It's great to see that people are interested in getting something going in the Nashville area! I live in Brentwood and would absolutely LOVE to get together with other SW fans. I don't really have the patience or skill for costuming so I've only barely considered joining the 501st.

On Saturday, my dad and I went to see Clone Wars with the guys in the youth group of the church he and my sister go to (sorry about the run-on sentence there :p ). Then we all went back to the church and play SW board games. It was an absolute blast and I would do it every Saturday if given the chance.

So all that to say: I'm all for what you guys are talking about doing, and would sign up in a heart beat. I'm also willing to help out in any way I can.

15. Red-One

Red-One Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, it looks like there are a few of us out there. I contacted Jedi-Trace who is the FanForce Southeast board administrator. She had great suggestions and encouraged us to continue on with the restart.

If everyone would post when they would be avalable around the last of September and were they are or where they would like to meet, we can get this going.

I am clear the last two weekends of September. I'm over by the Nashville Airport but can around to anywhere in the region.

16. Shint_Sattare

Apr 13, 2003
    I'm also available those weekends (most weekends in general really).

17. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    I live in Bellevue (West Nashville), and would also be available on the end (20th or 27th ?) of September. Depending on other, perhaps the 100 Oaks area would be somewhat central to everyone...at least so far.

18. Shint_Sattare

Apr 13, 2003
    100 Oaks area sounds just fine to me. That is of course, if everyone else is ok with it.

19. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    That's two for 100 Oaks so far...[face_peace]

Anyone else interested? Have a different location in mind, if so, please put them on the board.

At some point we should narrow down a time (and the exact place as well once we decide on what area of town), but as a rough draft how about 12 Noon, 2PM, or something else along that line?

20. Red-One

Red-One Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm cool with that area. 100 Oaks is actually gone now, it will be a wing of Vandys children hospital. There is applebees or rafertys that would probably have some meeting space. Depends on how many we could get together. There is a library on Nolensville that may have a meeting space. I'll check it out and get back.

21. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    The 100 Oaks area is still good --so far. Rafferty's, Applebee's, Wendy's is also across the street towards the interstate. There is plenty off Franklin Road as well that isn't too far from the former 100 Oaks mall. Hollywood 27 is there if we decide to see a movie later. Any place we can meet and talk, draft some ideas for the future, and gage interests of those in the group would be great. :)

22. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone noticed the other threads about the meeting this last week? We had planned to meet at the Edmondson Pike Library. Did anyone notice the two new threads?

I used to be so wrapped up in one or two threads, I forgot to check the Nashville section to see other boards. Now, I'm in the habit of checking Nashville for new threads here. On the off chance that some of you never noticed the new threads and didn't realize we had another one...then two...about setting up a meeting, I was looking to see if there is still an interest.

It was suggested that rejection from the other past group(s) may make interested people shy away from new groups. So, is there still any interest in a new group perhaps meeting, starting up new activities, with a clear effort to include anyone???

If so, please post something here.

If possible, please post what type of activities you would like to see the local Star Wars fans do that you would want to participate in. Sure, we may not be able to participate every time, or every event. But what events or activities would you like to see among fellow Star Wars fans.

Is the force with us???

23. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    well I randomly checked this board and it looks like some of you are trying to re-organize..good for you. I actually was the last CR, and it is very hard these days to get a fan group going, and I hope you find your way here.
    NAD used to be a great, fun place...but things happened and people broke off- it was mainly people taking themselves too seriously, or finding other groups, like the 501st, that they felt more comfortable in.
    I am sorry if anyone in the past felt alienated or left out.
    A bit of advice- don't force meetings- keep it simple and fun. If only a couple people can show, it's ok! not everyne has to agree all the time. Star Wars does not have to be your only topic- it's ok to post about anything and everything!
    I let the ball drop and let the group part out because I felt overwhelmed with trying to organize things, I had a new baby, and just so much going on. I felt like I was holding onto something that was slowly dying anyway. We had a good group, I know fans like you all will be able to organize and bring new life to the area.
    FYI, a good meeting place is Boarders downtown, or in Franklin. They have tables, coffee, magazines, books...it makes for a very informal fun place to meet up..
    Also it gives a whole range to finding fun SW things to look at while there!
    I am in Atlanta now, if anyone wishes to have the old NAD banner packed up and shipped to them, I'll be happy to, it's in my garage somewhere...and I know if Zach pops in now and again, he is a good advisor..check the ATL board, they are very active still, and may be able to give some good advice.
    May the Force Be With You .

24. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    I do remember seeing may of your posts when I was active a few years ago. Hopefully you enjoy being in Atlanta. I have a few friends in Atlanta. Did you go to Dragon Con this year? I finally got to attend my first convention.

It was pretty fun. I was there on Sunday. Anyone else there on Sunday? Did you dress up? I did not this time. Probably would the next time. I wasn't sure what to expect. Not alot of Star Wars guests on Sunday, mainly Star Trek and others. I was able to talk with a few Babylon 5 actors. I didn't really notice any of the other names.

Jedichick, if you know of anyone still here in Nashville that still wants to meet, please tell them some of us are trying to revive the boards! I'd love to have group meetings here and there. For those of us not into making costumes, the 501st doesn't work. I have yet to receive a username or password from the Rebel Alliance version either...though I don't remember if they have costume requirements or not. However, any 501st or Rebel alliance groups that still like doing plenty of other activities are still welcomed.

Anyone have more ideas, or dates that work better that you still want to meet up???

25. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Hey there,

Any one that is interested in reviving the Nashville meetings/activities, we have a small group attempting to plan another meeting. Of course, the more that want to be involved, the better.

Plans are in discussion here: Meeting space needed

Please feel free to add your thoughts and suggestions for this meeting (perhaps March 7th) or future activities. So anyone interested in being part of the group, stop by the thread and post your thoughts. Long-time FanForce members and newbies welcomed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.