main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/ObiWanCon/800x1035.jpg]

A picture, even a mere image that hints at a broader picture, can instantly give you a snapshot of things to come.

The production team that now holds the creative reins for the next Star Trek movie project has released a piece of artwork that provides a Polaroid of an era past, as well as a vision yet to be revealed. With this familiar imagery, the direction of the next movie is now officially open to speculation.

J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof are the film's producers; Bryan Burk, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are executive producers. The film is slated for release in 2008.

Here we can discussion Star Trek XI what will it be about, who will be in it and will it stay true to the Star Trek legacy.

So all I can say is ENGAGE

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So can we say now at least with 50% assurity that Star Trek XI will probably be somewhat connected to Kirk and Spock or something dealing with the 23rd century?

If they're really going to do a Kirk and Spock academy film, my suggestions would be to make it like a chaotic misadventure that neither one of them clearly recalled since it seemed pretty clear from the Where No Man has gone Before pilot that the two really hadn't had any interaction with each other before that time frame. Go the Superman route and hire unknowns. Then if you want to bridge past and future, offer Lenard Nimoy a whole lot of money to reprise Spock at the end of the film finally recalling and realizing that he had met his bestest closest friend far before either of them realized. I think to do this properly you have the film end with Spock possibly at Kirk's grave at Veridian III, or perhaps both at the end and beginning to bookend the film.

You can do this without Shatner, but I think to accomplish this properly, you HAVE to have Nimoy end or possibly, like I said before, a bookend to the possible main story of the film if this is where Abrams is going with this.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Their biggest challenge will be explaining the uniforms :p

4. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I like the idea of having it be a flashback story bookended by Spock at Kirk's grave, but I don't know that they'd want to mix-and-match the previous actors attached to the characters with the new ones.

It could be a wholly new crew, but probably not. The studio marketers probably know they could get a lot more publicity by having the old characters involved.

For the record, I just want to say that I'm not at all a fan of JJ Abrams. I found MI:3 just....pathetic, and his TV shows, to me, are contrived. But, hey, he's popular with the masses.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah my big concern at this point is that with MI:3 being an extended Alias episode is ST just going to be an Lost episode in space [face_thinking] :p

I like the guy but he can really be hit or miss. His misses can be dramatic too so I'm pulling for a hit on this one but there is a bit of trepidation there.

The poster is good start but a poster is just a poster.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The good news is based on his interview with TV Guide in last week's Sci - Fi issue is that he seems to be really passionate about the upcoming Trek project and eager to talk about it, even if he's down with the cryptic for the moment.

Then again, so was Berman. [face_plain]

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    so is current word it's going to be a prequel? honestly i'd rather just have them do something with Picard and company

8. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    It looks like Matt Damon is to play James T. Kirk. I know they are incorrect at times, but swing on over to IMDB.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think Trek needs to take a few years off and come up with an original series. Then think about doing more movies.

I am kind of burnt out on bad Trek and don't see this movie really doing anything for the franchise at all.

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    They're incorrect most of the time, especialy with stuff in production like this. Its all user submissions so as long as nothing raises any big red flags they put it on. Ironicaly I'm having a heck of a time convincing them that Singer and Dougherty have been in two of the "______ in 30 and Re-enacted by bunnies" shorts. Even though its true it doesn't fit so they don't think its true. [face_frustrated]

Damon as Kirk seems to be the Trek rumor dejour. Abrahms is said to want him but it doesn't mean he's even expecting him to take it or even offer it to him. Smith weighed in on the rumor saying he doesn't see it as a role that Damon would take. He points out that if they do give it to him they need to get Ben as Spock :p

11. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I really hope the franchise doesn't go backwards with this film.

I have always wanted to see a Star Trek film that features the best and interesting characters from the concurrent era, ie: TNG, DS9, Voyager. Perhaps as a major event, it features the return of Ben Sisko?

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I agree with Kol, i want to see a film set in the current trek era. That being said, i'm not going to get all upset about them making a prequil. Hopefully it will be agood movie.

13. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I think Abrams is a good choice myself. His first major picture MI:3 was very good I thought...and all the people who abandoned the movie because of Cruise and his antics..really did a disservice to Abrams. I think he directed a very good movie.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i really hope the casting rumor of Damon as Kirk turns out to be false

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The poster is a good piece of artwork, that's for sure... but Trek going back on itself is exactly why the franchise is failing. Enterprise was a retrograde step, and so will (IMO) be this movie. There's plenty of stuff to mine in 'present day' Trek... and it would allow the producers to take the Trek universe forward rather than once again stepping on the toes of continuity. Trek isn't about the past (which this movie will essentially be), it's about pushing to the future.

16. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    M:I:3, wasn't too bad, almost as good as the first. If this were Abrams first foray into feature film I would be more skeptical but I think he will be up to the task. As far as plotlines go, naturally I'd love to see a non-prequel Trek where some truly catachlismic (sp?) event occurs which completely shakes up the Trek universe, maybe even destroys the Federation sending the survivors scrambling to begin anew (the start of a possible trilogy?) But if it has the Trek name on it I'll see it even if it's directed by Ratner.
    And I don't really care who plays Kirk so long as we don't get a bad Kirk "impression", a la Jason Alexander

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    indeed - especially given ST's ability to get a cheap 'pop' by including an advance reference to something we know happens in the future (a la "that boy will be the death of me" in AOTC).

The only ever clever future reference was River Pheonix whipping his chin in the third Indiana Jones movie.

I caught an old Voyager episode on TV this weekend, cover Species 82451 (or whatever it was), and their plans to inflitrate StarFleet, posing as humans. Ok, the idea is a little Battlestar Galactica (the new series), but something along those lines of conspiracy and the enemy within might make for a good plot.

(despite it already occuring as an episode in the first series of TNG, with that kinda crab beast thing that was posing as a ST officer)

18. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    Yeah, I really enjoyed MI:3, and it actually has me excited for Trek for the first time in probably 20 years.

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    While this might be a nice turn-around for Trek, I'm not expecting it to be a complete gem. I just don't think any of this is comparable to the old school stuff.

20. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
  21. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I wonder if this film will be scored more like the previous trek films, or closer to the show, since they're trying to go back to their roots with this film anyways.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, how does Tom Cruise being fired essentially by Paraborg bode for Abrams still being tied to Trek (you know the old domino effect/guilty by assication with established nutcase?)?

23. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
    No news at the moment other than the Matt Damon as Kirk rumour was completely debunked by Matt Damon and J.J. Abrams but hopefully there'll be some news soon.

On a side note I listened to the commentary track on Star Trek: First Contact the other day and Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga were talking about how it might be time to reboot Star Trek start a fresh like the comic books did a few years back with Superman and other comics and I found myself agreeing with them about rebooting Star Trek which is something I wouldn't of considered a couple of years ago but with 700 plus episodes and 10 movies over 40 years maybe it is time to reboot the franchise and start a fresh new beginning.

24. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    J. J. Abrams proved his movie mettle with MI 3. I'm intrigued with what he'd come up with for Star Trek. He's one of the few directors that can merge a character-driven story into a blockbuster/action plot.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    DC comics were given a reboot because the continuity was mucked up, due to the DC Multiverse. Star Trek's continuity is fine, even with Enterprise gumming up the works a bit. What needs to be done is to jump to a new century and a new Enterprise crew. As well as a new creative team. TNG opened all kinds of possibilities and they've been explored in that era. It's time to go forward, not back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.