main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, just because the military is usually portrayed with heroic characters you think it means they can't be otherwise?

I mean, sure, people are a little more concerned about emphasizing that they are "for our troops" even if they are "anti-war", and that may crossover into media, but it's not a blanket situation (and Michael Bay isn't a very good example- all his films are heavily pro-military, and that relationship is why he got access to all the toys and pyramids he used in TF2; it's not like he suddenly turned the TF film franchise on it;s head to get part of it funded by the military. )

Just like how military characters were still portrayed as heroic in other films in the age The Abyss was made (including Cameon's own films like True Lies and Aliens), military characters can still be portrayed as villains in this day- it just depends on the story.

I mean, there've been plenty of black ops teams, special agents, secret military units/organizations, trigger happy Generals, etc used as the antagonist in films and TV over the past decade like on 24, etc.

Anyways, Larry King Live had Cameron and the Avatar cast on for an hour last night- I'm still in the process of watching it, but one interesting tidbit came up during talk of the sequel- Cameron says he hasn't started working on the script, that he only has a general narrative arc in mind so far and that most of the discussions on the sequel have been more along the lines of how they would do it.

Then King comments that the shame is they already killed off a great villain. Cameron then quips that "Hmm- well it's a science fiction movie. Nobody's..nobody's ever really dead in a science fiction movie."

[face_thinking] Could the good Colonel be returning in spirit or mind, even if not in body?

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Weaver has said she'll be back. As I said, Blue Ghost. She's one with the Goddess now. We even saw the rush of white light indicating she was connecting. The question will be whether or not she's in anything other than dreams, visions, and connections with the Goddess.

3. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    at Oscar nominations Avatar 'The Hurt Locker' take the lead. I think it's going to be hard competition between them.

4. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Yeah, Cameron has made coy comments about this several times (in the new issue of Empire mag, too) and Stephen Lang himself has also said this. So, nothing's for certain yet, but I think that all signs point toward Quaritch making a comeback.

My theory is that Quaritch's human body itself was an avatar - if they can make human-to-Na'vi avatars, they can sure as heck make human-to-human avatars, ya know? So, the REAL Quaritch could be orbiting Pandora safely entombed in a link up there.

5. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    It's funny, I recorded tons of media stuff about 'Titanic' back in 1997 and '98. Amongst them was an episode of Charlie Rose where all these media elitists had a discussion after the Oscar nominations. In 1998, they were unanimous that "L.A. Confidential is the better movie, but, tragically, the unwashed masses prefer Titanic." Charlie Rose had the same thing a few weeks ago....and it was the exact same thing: the elitists all decreed that The Hurt Locker was better than Avatar, but us feeble peasants just couldn't get it.

The Hurt Locker failed at the box office and looked like it was going to be one of many (comparatively) small movies that just kind of has its day in court but then goes away. But it's persisting entirely on the basis of the media pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing it. They're pushing this even harder than L.A. Confidential. So, I think it's a safe bet that, this time, the elitists will get their way.

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    They might not be able to. The Navi already have mental uplink built in; only trick is to make it remote. It's entirely possible, just saying that there might be a specific reason that Human->Navi works, but Human->Human might not.

My hope is Human->Human and Navi->Human work, and that at some point in the movies we'll see some Navi needing to use human bodies. I'd get a kick out of Neytiri needing to go with Jake to Earth, and having to walk around in a human body (for some reason I imagine she'd look a little like Zoe Saldana).

7. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    So I just saw it in IMAX 3D today for the first time. Visually stunning no doubt. Serviceable story and dialog that has a very general appeal. I don't think there is anything wrong with it being something that appeals to as many people as possible, it is still a great movie. But it isn't the most emotionally moving story, or in the least bit original, and isn't the "best" of anything except when it comes to the CG. All the other parts are just really good. I do think TDK was a much better movie that deserved Best Picture.

I really liked this movie, but that's not the same as me falling in love with it. I would even see it again multiple times, but I won't be thinking of me being in that world.

I don't go to the movie theaters anymore, I can usually wait for it to be online and have Netflix on demand to keep me with plenty of things to watch. I don't like having to deal with other people when I'm watching a movie, don't like bothering to go places, and I have better things to do with my friends than sit and stare at a screen with them. Well maybe if we are also jamming to Rock Band... But even my awesome speakers and big plasma HDTV can't compete with 3D IMAX. But it is a pain to go there so it isn't something I will do for most movies.

It was also an interesting comparison to Mass Effect 2 that I just happened to beat last night. Of the two sci-fi experiences, I fell in love with the worlds of Mass Effect much more than I did with Pandora. And even though my 360 has something like 1/100000000 of the processing power they used to render the world of Pandora, there were parts where I was equally awestruck at the visuals. Quite frankly, the best video game I've ever played as a 40 hour experience dwarfs the less than 3 hours with a really good movie.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Mass Effect 2 was absolutely brilliant. I'm going to be quite surprised if it doesn't top most peoples Game of the Year lists. It succeeds as well as it did for two reasons, in my opinion. Firstly, the degree to which Shepard can make his or her own choices (i.e., your choices). That helps breed a strong sense of "this is me" and attachment to the game. It's quite possibly the greatest role playing game ever in terms of role playing ability. Secondly, equally importantly, the game has an amazing grasp of Great Moments.

The opening sequence, and destruction of the original Normandy. Meeting the old crew again. The reveal of the new Normandy. Jack's release from prison, Jack's destruction of her childhood home. Quiet moments like Samara discussing her daughters, Miranda meeting you on the bridge just before the final mission, finding out Mordin can sing, seeing Legion do the Robot dance, Joker deciding to trust EDI. Boarding the derelict Reaper. Hearing Aria tell you the main rule of Omega. Seeing Legion for the first time, wondering what's happening... and why he's wearing an N7 chest plate. Seeing Anderson again, realizing how the job is aging him. Escaping the destruction of the Reaper base at the end of the game.

There were good moments like it in ME as well - the arrival of the Alliance to save the day is still my favorite single moment in any video game, ever. It's fantastic - everything is falling apart, the Geth and Sovereign are tearing through everything. And then, the Fifth Fleet arrives, cutting through the Geth like avenging angels. "It's the Alliance!" "Thank the Goddess."

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That'd be a clever twist- though I don't see them having the characters go to the Earth in the sequels. The passage of time would be too great- I doubt Jake and Ney'tiri would be willing to leave Pandora for 12 years (6 years there and 6 back), as that'd be a long time to have the planet susceptible to counter attack from Earth (especially since other ships are probably on their way to Pandora even before the battle in the movie happens, since there seems to be a 3-4 month supply and personell cycle).

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, one possibility that occured is that Parker Selfridge feels guilt over what happened on Pandora, and he has seeds from Pandora. He plants them on Earth, and they start growing into a tree. Pandora ecology starts growing fast on Earth, starting to change the atmosphere into a Pandora-like atmosphere. Jake and Neytiri get approached, asked to help, to speak the newborn worldmind on Earth and try to convince it to stop or to change what it's doing.

11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The Hurt Locker failed at the box office and looked like it was going to be one of many (comparatively) small movies that just kind of has its day in court but then goes away. But it's persisting entirely on the basis of the media pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing it. They're pushing this even harder than L.A. Confidential. So, I think it's a safe bet that, this time, the elitists will get their way.

"Elitists"? So, if I prefer "L.A. CONFIDENTIAL" over "TITANIC", I'm an elitist?

12. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    No, but if you claimed that your opinion is fundamentally superior to those of the world at large - which, obviously, preferred Titanic - than that would be elitist, by my standards.

13. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Where did you learn that Na'vi "already have mental uplink built in"? According to Pandorapedia, avatars started on Earth with the commandeering of one twin to another and human-to-animal links. So, (a) I don't really think that the Na'vi have some biological radio receiver inherent, and (b) even if that were the case, then the movie's (off-screen) world has already established that a biological tuner like that isn't necessary, anyway.

That might be kind of neat. However, I would prefer if they stayed in Alpha Centauri and, as John Landau has hinted, there are civilizations on some of its other moons. But I definitely would like to see them really explore and explain the "avatar" technology a lot more, and if that means a Na'vi-to-human avatar, that'd be cool, too.

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    My assumption had been based on the ability of the Navi to naturally link up their nervous systems with that of other Pandoran creatures. Essentially, they all have built in USB ports, and the uplink tech might have been built around using that build in USB port. If the documentation outside of the movie already states that it's not necessary, then it's not necessary. :)

15. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Oh, that's not what I was thinking about. I mean, the Na'vi queue obviously is totally separate from the actual human-to-Na'vi link. The human-to-Na'vi link is obviously done remotely (rather than through a "USB" cord) and, even if the humans did want to waddle along next to a Na'vi, the human himself has no queue or antenna with which to make that connection.

But, like I said, the human-created avatar linkage was already able to establish human-to-animal and human twin-to-human twin connections (see: Pandorapedia) and so, therefore, the Na'vi's queue was obviously not a factor in this.

16. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    No, but if you claimed that your opinion is fundamentally superior to those of the world at large - which, obviously, preferred Titanic - than that would be elitist, by my standards.

Most human beings tend to do this, whenever any one of us express an opinion about any work of art or political belief. It seems as if we can't help ourselves.

17. Jedi_Kale

Jedi_Kale Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2003
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p8U-cxWim8

18. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    love that sweet love song. Netyri deserves that. The guy's really talented and I liked that fast part at the end.

Now, here's another Avatar fan tribute:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxyAzDP1pg

19. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm pretty sure Cameron said that the sequel would take place 200 years or so after the events of Avatar, so not sure any of the characters will be the same, at least not the human ones.

It'll be another decade or so before anyone sees the thing anyway, so it's all speculation til then.

-T_S_R

20. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Except for the fact that Worthington and Saldana etc. signed contracts to appear in potential sequels...

21. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, with flicks like this, it's pretty standard for cast to sign multi-picture deals. Doesn't mean much.

-T_S_R

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron Plans "Avatar" Prequel Novel

"Avatar" producer Jon Landau tells MTV News that director James Cameron has begun writing a prequel novel to the sci-fi epic which could be released as early as the end of this year.

Landau says very specifically that this isn't a novelisation, and that "Jim wants to write a novel that is a big, epic story that fills in a lot of things."

So what can we expect? "It would be something that would lead up to telling the story of the movie, but it would go into much more depth about all the stories that we didn't have time to deal with - like the schoolhouse and Sigourney [Weaver's character] teaching at the schoolhouse; Jake on Earth and his backstory and how he came here; [the death of] Tommy, Jake's brother; and Colonel Quaritch, how he ended up there and all that" says Landau.

He adds that some of the scenes from "Avatar" that ended up on the cutting room floor might be resurrected for either the book or other forms of publishing media (e.g. comics) - "There might be opportunities in publishing to tell some of the backstory, tell some of the Earth war stories, what went on in Jake's life before the movie. We'd have that lead up to the sequel that might take place on Pandora several years after our movie closed."

Landau also tells the site that Cameron has met with Marc Webb, the director of the upcoming "Spider-Man" reboot for Sony Pictures, to discuss the challenge of filming in 3D. Landau says "we want to try to support that as much as possible."

This suggests that an Avatar sequel might be set several years after the end of the first movie (which would take care of the "time needed to get reinforcements to Earth", etc. Interesting... [face_thinking]

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  24. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    In this article - http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/02/22/james-cameron-on-why-he-might-lose-the-oscar-to-katherine-bigelow-shes-a-girl/ - James Cameron explains why he thinks he might lose the Best Director Oscar to his ex-wife, Kathryn Bigelow.

25. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Looking forward to a Avatar prequel novel!