main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Armor

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey Jayna, is this what you were talking about? [image=http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/starwars/Jedi_armor_modern.jpg]

It doesn't look too hard, and I think it would go great with the idea I have for my Jedi outfit. As soon as I get a rough sketch drawn up I'll post it.

2. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Yup!!! That's it!!!

Doesn't that look cool?!? It's definitely my next big project... :)

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, I actually ran into some luck, depending on what your view of luck is. I want to use 1x6 to make the base of my lightsaber case, but it's only sold in 10' sections. So what does an aspiring prop maker do with 9' of 1'6?? VACCU-FORM TABLE!!! :D

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Woohoo! I found a 3.5HP shop-vac at Home Depot for $50, and I can get an 8x4 sheet of Polystyrene for $26.83. I figure that's two sets of shoulder and two sets of shin armor. Well, Maybe on set of shin armor considering I bet I'll screw up. I have a feeling my apt is going to be smelling like the chem lab next week ;)

Edit: Ok, no one said shipping was $35!!! I don't know if I can do $60 this soon. Anyone sticking around spring break?? :_|

Edit Ni: Sorry, been working some karate and Ii'm still in Japanese mode. Anyway, my roommate so helpfully pointed out that there are a huge number of industrial businesses in Daytona, and I've found 3 plastic supply companies, but their websites all suck so I'm going to be calling them tomorrow. If anyone is interested in doing some armor, lemme know and I'll make sure to post the details of what I found out :) Once I get my table done I say we through a huge Vaccu-Form party as one of our meetings :D

5. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I would love that! I can help you financially with the table and whatnot if you like. It'll have to be after spring break, though.

Oooh! Armour! I can't wait! :D

How much $ do you think a costume like that would total? I'm going to have to start saving up.

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Oooo, an investor! Yay! What do you mean 'a costume like that'? If you're refering to the pic, I would say probably 3 sheets of plastic, which I haven't priced yet, you've already got the shirt and pants, and the cloak shouldn't be too much.

The constume I am going to do is going to be about $40 for the karate uniforms and hopefully one sheet of plastic because I only plan on doing shoulders/biceps and shins. I think the chest peice and the helmet would be too constricting for a Jedi, but I want to help you do it if you want to! :)

7. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I think I want to! It looks like fun! :)

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    haha, hot sticky plastic. mmmm, fun :p Ok then, let's do it! I bet if I pulled some strings I could barrow Jack's armor to snap molds from, or do you want to be really fun and get body casts and clay molds going? ;)

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey Jayna, do you have Imperial Luke with you? I want to use that color for my armor.

10. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I think some parts we could use Jack's stuff for, but it looks like other stuff will have to be custom made (ie: shin guards, gauntlet thingys, etc).

No, I don't have imo Luke with me here. If you want, I could have my mom ship him down here for you. Just let me know.

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Naw, I'll have my mom ship mine over. It's right over in Tampa and she gets free shipping, and I think it would look cool to have him and my clonetrooper guarding my comp ;)

Looking closer I think we'll have to custom do the whole thing. Probably better that way, so we can make sure to get an exact fit. I think my arms are a tad bit bigger than yours :p Today I am going to call around to some platic companies and maybe tomorrow afternoon I am going to hit up some craft stores for clay and such things. There is a huge roll of high-quality fiberglass in the ERFSEDS lab that is very tempting, but I don't think we need something that strong. I do know where to get some kevlar that's just about the size of your chest armor though ;) Blasty proof Jayna!!

12. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Nobody in this frelling town sells 8-guage!!! Grrrrrrrr! I am going to ask around and see if 6-guage will work because I can get that right up the road for $35.

13. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I don't know.... my arms a pretty beastly! ;)

I don't see why 6 gauge wouldn't work. Not that I know the first thing about plastic and armour-making, but I had to put my two credits in. :)

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well I went to the shop and compared and I could barely notice a difference.

Wait till you get into your lightsaber training, you'll see your arms grow by leaps and bounds :p

15. Commander_Clone

Commander_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Jayna, your arms are certainly not beastly. I of all people would know.

How bout no.

I'd put my two cents in about armor, but I seriously do not know squat about one kind of plastic from another. I would think that as look as it looks professional, and as long as it can take a few hits that it should be cool.

So I guess I'm saying hit it before you buy it.

16. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Hit it before you buy it- I like that method of shopping. If something can't withstand a good whack or two, why in the world would you want it?

I know my arms aren't beastly. In fact, they're probably the least beastly around. Now that I've found a master who will take me as an apprentice, I might just get beastly. Well, not too beastly I hope. :)

17. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Aw, I'm a master :D I think I would have to train you to be a fast, graceful Jedi, one with her lightsaber. Yeah, that sounds good :p And I actually did hit it! But it bowed and the other end came around and smacked me! The lift-fork driver was laughing :(

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Aw, I'm a master :D Jayna, I think your training will emphasize your gracefullness and speed. You will be one with your lightsaber and your surroundings ;) And we all seem to think waaaaay too much alike. Starting to scare me :p I did hit it, and it bowed and the end came around and smacked me! THe lift-fork driver started laughing his butt off :(

19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hehe, lookie what I found:

10 lbs microcrystalline wax
    1/2 gal. #10wt oil
    4 lbs plain automotive grease
    25 lbs dry clay powder (Such as Kentucky ball clay)

It's the ingredients to make plasticin-clay, the stuff I need to make molds. I can get 50% of this stuff off the ground where I park my truck ;)

20. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    That's really sad!

How much will stuff like that cost?

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I dunno. I hope I don't have to mix my own! I won't have time to get to the store until Friday afternoon. I think Friday I am going to get the clay and plaster, then Sunday hit up HD for the vaccu-form equipment.

22. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Oh! I can't wait to see how it all comes out! Hopefully by the time I get ready to do it, you'll be an expert and will instruct me in the art of vacuuforming! :)

Good luck!

23. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I'll make sure to post lots of pics :)

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey Jayna, where does it look like the shin armor stops? I think the round part at the top is right below the knee, but it's hard to tell.

25. Lady_Eldaelen

Lady_Eldaelen Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2003
    Hey Q99,

Jayna was showing me the armor picture.
    It looks like the shin armor is in two parts. One starts at the ankle, and ends mid calf. Then the second part is hinged? or loosely attached on top of that, stopping slightly above where the knee meets the lower leg. I suppose that is for when the leg is totally bent or flexed that knee movement isn't restricted.
    That's what it looks like to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.