main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Knights TCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Any questions I can answer about this cool new game. And before it's asked, it will be out sometime this month :)

2. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    The release date has just been passed onto me: Mark your calendars for Wednesday, April 25th. Be sure to look for one of several special JK Pre-Release Parties that are being planned all over the country to possibly come to your area.

3. JerUNH

JerUNH Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2001
    Jedi KNights is Finally Within Reach and Soon I will be posting much information for all you interested in JK strategy/News/ournament Reports

4. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    cool. I wasn't going to start playing this game, but I won a play mat and 2 starter packs recently, so I may as well.

5. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Just listening to RFD...I'll post the spoilers for the cards as I hear them!

Vader's TIE, Advanced Prototype
    Vader Theme
    Deploy: 1
    Imperial Destiny: 4
    Keywords: Starfighter, TIE
    Power: 4
    Defense: 4
    2 Leadership Icons
    Game Text: Vader may play aboard. Vader's Power is +4 while he is aboard. While Vader's TIE is supported by 2 TIEs, it fires weapons at +3 to hit.

6. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Here's the rest of the JK spoilers.

Pick Up Some Power Converters
    Destiny: 4
    Deploy Phase Event
    +3 Tactical Bonus
    Game Text: Spend up to 3 credits to draw the same number of cards and discard this Event from play.

Emperor Palpatine, Imperial Overlord
    Tarkin Theme
    Deploy: 3
    Destiny: 1
    Keywords: ???
    Power: 3
    Defense: 4
    3 Leadership Icons
    Game Text: May not play weapons under here. May not support. Emperor is Power +3 for each Imperial supporting him. While Emperor is ready and another Imperial leader is here, the Emperor may not be attacked.

7. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    hmmm... maybe I'll be good at this game... I just need the money :(

8. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    It's a very cool game. Look for me to post the Pre-Release party locations (taking place this weekend) on here sometime in the next couple o' days. I know that there is one in Clifton Park, NY and one n Denver, CO. There are 12 others I believe...

9. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Cool. I still need a car. :(

10. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Click here to find out if there's one in your area:

http://www.decipher.com/archives/2001/04/041601storyB1.html

11. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    There are plenty of cars in my area...

Nope, no parties in my area.

12. JeetKuneMaul

JeetKuneMaul Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2001
    Yeah but I need a plane and a car. :(

Being in the UK can suck.

JKM

13. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Don't worry. Jedi Knights will be available soon in Europe. Keep an eye out.

14. JeetKuneMaul

Apr 19, 2001
    Thanks Red that's great. :)

My main ache is trying to get hold of special cards.....promo's and the likes. :(

I actually bought some EMODM yesterday from a store in Liverpool and had to pay near £15 per box. (about $21-22 I estimate roughly) That seemed extortionate but I need my cards. [face_devil]

JKM

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    The main way to get the promos is for your local gaming store(s) to buy a league kit and hold JK league nights. I'm pretty sure this is how it will probably work internationally as well. So if you want those promos talk to your gaming store about it. Also since there will be a lot of each promo in the kits I imagine that a fairly good percentage of the cards will end up on ebay at some point so you can always watch for that too.

16. JeetKuneMaul

Apr 19, 2001
    :)

I'll stick to ebay for now as I'm sure they modelled the comic shop owner in The Simpsons on every member of staff in my local store.

/BBBBBBBrrrrrrrrr. Got cold shivers again. :p

17. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Good news! For everyone out there who has always run into problems trying to figure out how exactly to play a new card game from Big D, your problems have been solved.

I just checked out their main page today and as a part of the last day of count down to the game's release they have put 3 videos up on the site that run you through a game of Jedi Knights. The first one is a very basic description of the cards layout (where the destiny number is, etc.) as well as some other very basic intro. stuff. Note: There will be a playmat included in every starter deck that shows you where to place your various card piles.

The second video actually runs through a game of JK and the third one tackles multiple players. Be warned though, the total time of the videos is 50 min. to and hour (first video is about 10, the second is about 35 and the last is about 10). I only got to watch the first one (stupid research paper) but if it's any indication as to how thorough they are the others should be good.

Have fun,
    Spud

18. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Jedi Knights is in stores TODAY!!! Be sure to post your pack-opening stories for us all including first impressions, funny stories, outrageous pulls whatever. I may very well post some of the most interesting stuff in the next issue of the CCG newsletter...

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The two closer comic stores near me didn't get/didn't order JK yet, so since I have the day off tommorow, I'm gonna go questing :):bah-doomp-chah!::) for some tommorow, I'll let ya know what I find::)

20. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Woah. Creepy. I had the exact thing happen. The store at the mall I wasn't shocked at, but the other store said that their delivery guy didn't show up. DAG NAB IT! I was so looking forward to getting some cards today. Oh well, I guess that I too shall be doing some questing tommorow.

Spud

21. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    I got a starter of each side and 2 packs, first day stuff so it came to $40.

Played threw the play sheet with my brother so far. Seems ok so far. Hvaen't really played a full game.

22. 4Q2

4Q2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    I only bought two starter decks (one of each) and 2 boosters. Not a bad pull though: silver foil stamped R2D2 (I'm a sucker for the droids!).

Why so few boosters? Hey, I experimented with Young Jedi and didn't find it worth my time/$$. Didn't want to make the same mistake with JK.

Sat down the first night and played against myself ... don't ask me who won :) Played against a friend of mine next day.

My first impression of this game is, "Wow!"

I've played Young Jedi and SW:CCG and a few others from that Wondrous Other Trading Card company ;-) I think this new game is great, and stacks up well against any of them. It has a lot of strategy behind it. I had read through the rules a couple of times before the game came out, and I had gotten the impression "Aw, it's just gonna be Young Jedi on steroids. You battle, you win, you move on." But it really isn't. After I played the game once, I could tell, this is a really different game.

You know, anyone can make a COMPLICATED game, or take a simple game and MAKE it complicated. That doesn't mean it is a GOOD game. Jedi Knights is a GOOD GAME. The depth of strategy is just right. It is rich, and not complicated just for the sake of being complicated.

Although I love SW:CCG, I think it does have its faults. Many times games are won or lost on WHICH cards you (or your opponents) have, not on HOW you play your cards. This game doesn't feel that way. It really feels like this game is won or lost on HOW you play the cards you have.

23. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Anyone else have any comments about JK now that's it's out (positive or negative)? And don'y forget to vote in our Jedi Knights poll on the CCG main page (click the TFN link above to get there).

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I asked my local comic store to order a couple boxes (turns out the reason they didn't get them on wednesday is because they didn't know about the game or that it come out already), so they'll probably get that in later this week, so I'll leave my comments about the game then::)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, my local shop got the game in, I picked up the 2 starter decks (love those playmat posters! hilarious!) and 8 booster packs. I'm not sure how to tell if they were Day 1 or not. Anyways...

First impressions: Haven't had the chance to play a game myself yet, gonna do that tommorow (and the comic shop dude's gonna get some people together to try it out saturday), but after reviewing the rule book and watching that demo video on decipher's site, the game looks pretty interesting. The intimidation part is rather neat, taking somebody outta the picture and all. A couple play throughs and I should get it down ok.

Quick question- can "tapped"/"rotated" cards be targeted by a weapon in a subsequent battle?

ie: Say PLayer 1 has Character A and Character B at a site and Player 2 has Character C, Character D and Character E. Player 1 starts a battle, taps Character A to target Player 2's Character C, who taps Character D to support Character C, PLayer 1 then taps Character B to support Character A [everybody got that?::)], and lets just assume the result of the battle ends in favor of Player 1, so Player 2's Character C & Character D are discarded. Now, on Player 2's turn, can he tap Character E to attack player 1's Character A or Character B, who were tapped for the previous battle? If so, can those already tapped cards be used for defense support? (As in using Character B to once again support Character A)

As for pulls...Rares were as follows:

Leia Organa-Your Worshipfullness [Silver Foil]
    Good Shooting Wedge [Silver Foil]
    Han Solo-Unlikely Hero
    Figran D'an
    Elris Helrot
    Help Me, Obi-Wan
    Rancor's Tooth
    Tear This Ship Apart

My friend lucked out, only getting 4 booster packs, and nabbing one Silver Foil card and one Gold Foil card

I think the only thing I could say that bothers me slightly about JK, is that, like Young Jedi, it apparently relies heavily on the main characters (but probably unavoidable with the "theme deck" concept). Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that, I just always kinda liked how in SW you could concievably beat someone's deck using all "common" characters, no matter what their deck was made of, whereas in YJ, the small felloppws don't stand a chance against a deck with a bunch of mauls and maul double sided lightsabers. JK avoids this, thankfully, for the most part, although if you don't have your hero in there for doubling your total power, you would get screwed real fast. I like how it really is about choosing your supporting characters carefully, and not how many mains you can stuff in there (although granted, they would probably help from time to time::) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.