main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JEDI Robes, Lightsabers, and Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Jade-Walker, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Even if Caroline isn't free yet that evening, you can all congregate at my place and either start doing a bit of work there or just hang out. ;)

2. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey I'm dabbling in the idea of costuming...even though I cn't sew and for that matter can't sew...so I figure I'll start small with a homemade saber project. BTW where do you get one of those pretty clear colored blades from anyhow...

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I got mine from Random Sabers. $20.
    But you would have to make sure that it would fit in your saber. ;)

4. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Durance, I've made 2 homemade "hardware" sabers, and both have turned out pretty well. I will try to bring mine to next week's meeting/Bowling 4 Kids' Sake. I don't know if you can attend or not, but you can take a look at them. I can give you tips if you need help.

5. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    I got my cast off...and I've now got driving clearance so I may make it to thatmeeting afterall...

6. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Brian's made a decision!

gonna build the inner robes (tuinc, pants, tabard, yadda yadda), build the belt (and other custom clothing and leather pieces) build the accessories (comlinks, food pellets, not sure bout the pouches yet... depends on my leather skill)

gonna buy the boots and the lightsaber... obi-wan's boots, designing the lightsaber as we speak... errr... type

my announcement is done :p

-b-

EDIT: typos...

7. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Brian, those boots are awesome!
    You ought to post a link or pics to show everyone. ;)

8. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    can't post a link... unauth dealer... :(
    can't really post it on our boards either... :( same reason, and that's just shady

PM me for info...

-b-

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    uh oh.
    I hope I didn't get randomsabers in trouble

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Here's how it is explained in the Costuming Forum rules:
    Do not post links to unlicensed costume and prop dealers. You may use the private messaging system to share links with other users, but posting them in the forum is strictly against the rules. Doing so will result in your post being edited and repeat offenders will be dealt with accordingly.

Now, since Kim was asked about her lightsaber...whom she has had good reviews of her experience with them...I doubt you could consider this "repeat offender" circumstances. Part of the reason fo groups like ours is to share information (within reason...there is always such a thing as TMI) But one of us saying: "I've dealt with these guys, they do a good job...(here) if you want to research it for yourself isn't a horrible thing.

11. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    don't worry about getting anyone in trouble... it's more CYB for TF.N. LFL just wouldn't stand for whole slews of if you want armor go "here" post and all that...

the guys that i'm looking at for my boots are supposed to do some absolutely stunning work... and they'd better considering the monay i'd be dropping... but i'll finish up some reading on em, and see what i can find out... :D

didn't mean to come across so pointed... late for work and all that... ;)

-b-

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Those boots are beautiful. :D

13. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I am hoping to get one from Randomsaber for my Jaina one...once I get some $$ for one!! :D

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Geoff and Em: I will try to make it to Caroline's directly after I get off work Sat morning. (Gotta make a little extra cash to support my costume habit. :p)

Then since Caroline has commitments in the afternoon, you and whoever else wants to join us can just hang out at my place since you'll be down this way anyway. ;)

15. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    NEWS FLASH...
    I just finished my new Mara Jade bodysuit. The unveiling will be at the Pittsburgh convention. I can't wait! :D

16. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    This sucks...I'm in the home streatch, and I hardly have any days free where I can go somewhere, and finish off the robe. Add to that that I'm such a frelling newbie with this sewing thing...that doing all this bias tape stuff takes me like 4 hours for one piece.

Either of you free on Tuesday 4/27 (day/evening) to help me finish this guy off?

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Sure. If you want to come over Tues eve I'd be happy to help you. I get home around 6:30.

18. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    Kim do either your or Caroline's sewing machine's have a darning setting? The lady at JoAnn's said many newer machines will darn the hole instead of having to patch it.

The only brown patch I found is much lighter than my fabric. When I held it next to the fabris there was a visible difference. I'll check out a couple of other places but I don't think I have much choice.

I may be able to get a sewing machine from my dad. My stepmother had one and if its still at his shop he says I can have it. Now I have to go out there and dig around all the junk he has to see if its there.

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. Mine can darn. I've never tried it, but we can use a piece of scrap material and try it out. ;)

20. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Thats good news Kim, I certainly have enough scraps to practice on.

I was also looking for material for the tunic and tabards. JoAnn has a nice cotton twill with just a bit of lycra that if you turn it to the off side has a nice texture to it. It might work and it comes in several different shades of cream and couple of brown..

I was wondering if anyone was interested in going to the fabric shop as a group? I would like a second (or more) opinion before I buy the material and I think it might be fun to go together so we can make sure we don't all buy the same thing. I know there are JoAnns all over but If I remember right there are at least two or more shops out by Summit Mall. If we do it out there we also may manage to lure skydancer out to buy her robe fabric. :)

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    You might want to go this weekend. Fri and Sat. JoAnn's is having a sale. 50% off with coupons that they have in the store. That might be a good opportunity to buy your fabric. ;)

22. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I get out of work at 6 tonight and Saturday anyone interested?

How much material would I need for the tunic, tabards and pants? 4-5 yards?

23. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Tunic 3 yds
    I dont' know how much for the Tabbards. I guess it depends on how you want to wear them.
    Pants 3 yds

24. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Just a note on Tabbards... I sewed a small snap at the top of the shoulder to keep the tabbard up on the shoulder in place. Otherwise they tend to slide off.

25. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    So thats 6 yards for pants and tunic and maybe 2 for tabbards leaving room for error? Based on his robe Krash is going to have increase that by half or maybe double.

Anrev thats a great idea for the tabbards. I was wondering how I was going to keep them from falling off my shoulders.

Of course the sale at JoAnn is this weekend when I work not next weekend that I've taken off and could do it anytime. How often do they have these sales? I'm trying figure out if I want to try and do it tomorrow after work or wait till the next sale. 50% off the price is not something I want to miss. I'd just like a second opinion before I spend the money. Krash do you and Emily work tomorrow night?

To buy:
    8 yards of fabric?
    matching thread
    two snaps or four?
    Do I need bias tape or anything else for this?

As to working on our stuff again I'm off Saturday May 8th after 2pm. Does anyone want to get together then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.