main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi spirits live on in Luke

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Hawkeye, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Hawkeye

Darth_Hawkeye Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    Here's a theory:

We know that three "Jedi Ghosts" appear at the end of the OT ? Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin.

What do all three have in common?

Well, among other things, they all died in the presence of Luke Skywalker. Obi-Wan on the Death Star, struck down as Luke watched; Yoda on Dagobah; Anakin on the new Death Star.

I think it's possible that they sent their spirits into Luke. Luke is the only one who can see or hear them. That's because they only exist within Luke.

He becomes an embodiment of all of them. As each becomes part of his body, he power grows. Obi-Wan's spirit gave him the power to blow up the Death Star. Yoda's spirit gave him the power to defeat Vader and the Emporer. I'm not sure what Anakin's spirit gave him the power to do because the movie ended.

Perhaps that is what being the "chosen one," or the son of the "chosen one" is all about ? the ability to host the spirits of fallen Jedi.

2. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    interesting theory, although i'd have to say it sounds very "highlander" like. i'm more apt to believe that luke like anakin has a very high concentration of midicholorians and therefore is more like a nexus for the spirits. as in they are somehow able to take a focused form by tapping into his life force.

VW

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    An interseting idea, it has a very Highlander..."There can be only one" quality to it. So what you're proposing is that a jedi dying leaves part of their spirit in the person who is with them in their final moments. The question then becomes, what happens to the jedi in PT like Qui-Gon and all those killed in the arena...so far, we haven't seen anyone "fade" becoming one with the Force? What happens to their "jedi spirit?"

In the Thrawn trilogy books, Obi-Wan's spirit appears to Luke telling him that this will be the last time they will be able to speak. If they left a piece of their spirit with Luke...wouldn't they be able to communicate for the rest of Luke's life.

Leia couldn't see them, because she had no training "in the jedi arts"...so her ability to see the "jedi spiits" would remain un-tapped.

I gues we'll have to hope for Episode III (or EU) to provide some answers to this question...it's still a interesting theory, I just can't say yes/no!

4. Darth_Hawkeye

Jun 4, 2002
    Thanks for the replies.

The reason other Jedi haven't passed on their spirits is because there wasn't a suitable "host" nearby. Luke, the son of the Chosen One (or perhaps THE Chosen One) is unique in this ability.

And Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin are the only Jedi to ever die in the presence of Luke.

It might also be fun to explore whether Anakin also had "spirit-hosting" capabilities, or whether or not Sith have similar capabilities. I haven't thought much about it.

I tend to put less weight in the EU stories, as Lucas didn't write them. But they are always worthy of discussion.

It's interesting that you said this sounded very "Highlander" because I've never seen that movie. Perhaps I'll have to rent it.

5. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Well it is an interesting theory I'll give you that.

6. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    That's a good way of looking at it Darth-Hawkeye. I'm wondering though about Yoda on Dagobah interacting with Obi-Wan's spirit. I understand interaction on their behalf if they are all in the spirit plane, but Yoda was still alive.

I think your theory still holds though. In this case, the symbiotic bond between Luke and Obi-Wan's spirit, with the Force as a channel, is so strong, that Yoda can tap into it as well and see and interact with Obi-Wan's spirit. Why? Because Yoda has a strong symbiotic relationship to the Force and can bring that to the table as well.

Hence Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...

7. Darth_Hawkeye

Jun 4, 2002
    Good point, Vanthorne.

But did Yoda actually SEE Obi-Wan? I know he heard him, spoke with him, interacted with him (which is probably enough to throw my theory off), but I'm not sure he actually SAW him.

Thanks for the reply.

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    What about Leia listening to Vader's spirit in Truce at Bakura? In the NJO, Jacen, too, sees Vergere, and both of them are in two seperate ships when Vergere dies.

Isn't there also something about Yoda teaching Obi-Wan how to become a spirit ... ?

Very interesting theory!

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.