main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Jim Tressel Has Resigned

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    story

Not entirely unexpected, but still slightly surprising.

Still kind of sad to see, too. I love Tress, and I always will. I like to believe that he had bad judgment over the last four years and not for the entire tenure he was coach. I'd like to still believe Tress was a man of integrity who made a few mistakes, most of them surrounding a certain Mr. Pryor. And I hope that nothing comes out evidence wise to change my mind.

Thanks, Tress, for Ten great seasons. Thanks for whooping on Michigan. Thanks for giving me the only major title in a Big-three sport I've had in my lifetime.

Now, Luke Fickell, I have two words for you: BEAT MICHIGAN!

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Wow! That's a big shake up in the Big 10. Will Ohio St. be vulnerable now without him?

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Doubt this will last long. He'll probably be back in some way at Ohio State before the end of next month.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It was obvious this was coming eventually, but I was expecting a Bruce Pearl-like situation with Tressel suspended part of this season, coaching the rest, then fired/resigned after the season. So the timing is a bit surprising, but the end result... not at all.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This was all over ESPN when I got in from doing yard work this morning...I was surprised that it happened now, not that it happened. It was inevitable.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No chance. He's done. He'll be back on campus for the celebrations of his championship teams, and that's probably about it.

I thought that was the most likely path, but I don't know that it was inevitable. Ohio State, like most other major programs, has an inflated sense of self-worth and aura, and I thought there might have been a 10% chance they were so cocky they thought they could fight the NCAA and win, despite the smoking gun.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm going to remember this the next time I hear the argument that "....college athletics are more pure than the pros".

:p

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Urban Meyer. You got next

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Partial List of Head Coaches with ties to Ohio State (and thus should be rumored to be the tOSU coach next fall):

Nick Saban (Grad assistant at Ohio State)
    Pete Carol (Secondary Coach at Ohio State)
    Mark Dantonio (Tressel Assistant)
    Lovie Smith (Assistant Coach under Jon Cooper)
    Urban Meyer (From Ohio, Grad Assistant at Ohio State)
    Les Miles (From Ohio)
    Bob Stoops (From Ohio)
    Kirk Frerentz (Assistant Coach w/Cleveland Browns)
    Bo Pelini (Played at Ohio State)
    Jim Harbaugh (From Ohio)
    Dom Capers (From Ohio)
    Lou Holtz (Former Ohio State Assistant)

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Holtz,Harbaugh,Smith,Caroll and Saban will not happen. Others are possible though.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This posted by a friend on facebook:

"Jim Tressel resigns, stock in sweatervest-manufacturing companies immediately plunges."

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Sounds like he wasn't all that by the SI article.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Very interesting article there.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm kind of numb from that article.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Seems pretty likely that OSU's going to be hit hard, given the extent described there. Also that Tressel's done as a college coach, but that seemed very likely already.

17. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Take away his victories over Michigan! Take em all!

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    They can only go back so far - they can't do anything about violations from '02, for example. But it looks like there is more than enough in the last few years for OSU to get hard - wouldn't surprise me to see the last few seasons entirely vacated.

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Up next, Auburn.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Auburn'll at least get this past season vacated IMO. But I think OSU's more likely to get the "last few seasons" bit.

21. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Also Jon Gruden. Born in Sandusky, OH, and a backup QB at the University of Dayton, has already been mentioned too. He gets mentioned for everything that pops up though. :p

22. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    This whole episode isn't as surprising to those of us living in the area that don't have scarlet and gray colored glasses on. From his time as an assistant at OSU up until his cover up of Tattoo Gate has seen a pattern of dishonesty and questionable tactics/decisions. His winning on the field (most importantly against Michigan, of course) led fans to dismiss everything as though he was simply covering up for the players when in fact the logical conclusion is that he wanted to keep 4 integral parts of a possible national championship team together for his own benefit. His charitable work is commendable but he's not an "honest man" although maybe someday tOSU will name an important campus building after him just as they did the even more disgraceful Woody Hayes :rolleyes:

Ohio State only cares about winning football games but hopefully this scandal shocks them into getting their priorities straight. Time will tell.

EDIT: The big consequences for Ohio State won't have anything to do with vacating past victories, it will be postseason bans in the future as well as scholarship reductions. Look how USC got hammered... They have 15 scholarships for each of the next three seasons which is crippling. If OSU gets a similar punishment (which would be warranted) it may take five years or so to get out of the hole. In which case you could also forget a high profile coach like Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops coming to town to save the day. None of the candidates on the previous lists are going to leave their current jobs to coach at a devastated Ohio State.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.