main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    This. Lore would have been a MUCH better foil for Data in Nemesis.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    hey did you guys hear about benedick cumberpunch? i hear he will be the new spok in the new star trek 2.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure they'd bring in any TNG villains except maybe the Borg ('cause they lend themselves well to a film). Yeah, I don't think Noonien Soong was even born yet-- he was alive albeit apparently very old by TNG-- so Lore would be out. I think the truly daring thing would be to make Eggs Benedict an original character AND from an original race. *gasp*

4. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    well if he doesn't want to play spok he could play one of those evil vulkins. those rumules.

5. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Do to popular demand (!NOT!) I'm revising my theory for the 2013 Star Trek film...

The film opens with a Babel Conference. The cross-species meeting is addressing the Nero Incident, the destruction of the planet Vulcan and the possible future demise of the planet Romulus. The balance of power between the Alpha Quadrant and the Beta Quaderant is slipping. At some point during this Babel Conference a cross-species disease is unleashed. Those attending the Babel Conference turn on one another and begin to hunt and eat one another. A galaxy-wide distress call is sent.

Meanwhile the USS Enterprise is in orbit around the recently established New Vulcan colony. To mark the settlement anniversary a wedding is underway. Spock and Uhura are getting married. Kirk is directing the ceremony. The wedding is interrupted by Chekov. He informs Kirk that a priority one message from Admiral Pike has been received. It's back to your stations for all hands. McCoy will likely make some good natured, but snide remark about Spock escaping the old ball and chain.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy contact Admiral Pike. The situtation is spelled out. Pike tells the three that he wants the Enterprise to meet three brand new Starfleet Hospital and Rescue starships at the world holding the Babel Conference. Pike informs Spock that Ambassador Sarek is dead. That he was killed by the infected Andorian ambassador. Spock acknowledges this with a stoic grace. Pike ends the transmission. Kirk orders the Enterprise to her new mission.

Meanwhile in orbit around the world holding the Babel Conference the three hospital ships are investigating the disease and its victims thus far. The medical staff determine that the disease is not natural. That it is bio-engineered. The disease is a weapon. So the question is who made it and why? Oh and I should point out who is in charge of this medical staff - her name is Christine Chapel. Chapel and her staff are interrupted by the arrival of a Klingon cruiser. The Klingon Commander demands access to the ill Klingon ambassador. Chapel tells him that she can not break quarantine procedures. The Klingon commander destroys one of the hospital ships. Before the Klingon can destroy another of the hospital ships the Enterprise arrives. She hits the Klingon ship hard. The Klingon ship cloaks.

Next we see a Federation News Service annoucement. A state of war now exists between the UFP and the Klingon Empire. Admiral Pike is watching the report. A sinistar little smile forms on Pike's face. Just what could the (?good?)admiral be thinking? Why is he smiling in a moment like this? Starfleet has yet to recover fully from the losses inflicted by Nero. A war with the Klingons might shatter the UFP. Pike sends a coded message to a distant spot in the galaxy. He tells an unseen listener that the plan is moving forward.

Along the border between Klingon space and the UFP. A typical monitoring starbase is destroyed. A fleet of Klingon ships sweep into UFP territory. We watch the Klingons mount a full-scale planetary invasion. The UFP colony and it's Starfleet security force engage the Klingon invasion in space, air and land.

Meanwhile the Enterprise guards the two remaining hospital ships. Kirk and McCoy contact Chapel. The discussion leads Kirk to send McCoy and Uhura over to the hospital ships. McCoy to help Chapel with the disease. Uhura to help translate the 'gibberish' heard from the lips of the infected. The tranfer takes place. Before anybody can settle in though the Klingon cruiser uncloaks and destroys another of the hospital ships. Spinning debris slams into Chapel's hospital ship killing its captain. Kirk and Spock order McCoy to take command of the remaining hospital ship. The Enterprise will tackle the Klingon ship while the hospital ship escapes.

Onboard the escaping hospital ship McCoy and Chapel realize the damage has allowed the infected to escape. The entire hospital ship is now a death barge. Worse of all Uhura was bitten by one of the infected. Chapel also discovers that Uhura is pregnant. Chapel tells M

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Reportedly, filming on the new Star Trek movie began on Thursday. Also, Roberto Orci hinted that the Engineering set will have some "improvements", probably to make it look less like the Budweiser brewery plant they filmed the first at or what.

7. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I realize the above is from over a month ago, but I geek out on movie music so sue me.

Courage's theme does get a little play in TMP. Kirk does a Captain's Log at one point in the middle of the movie, and we get a little taste of the old goodness.

As far as I can remember, it's actually the only time the Courage music gets quoted in the films that's NOT part of the opening/closing scenes or credits.

But you're right that the Enterprise flyby is all Goldsmith.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    So...since Nero accidentally created an alternate timeline....does that mean Khan and his people are still floating out there on the Botany Bay?

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I still really hate this thread title. It's Star Trek 12, darn it!

Slimy!

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    In theory, yes. Unless the butterfly effect of Nero's arrival somehow resulted in another ship traveling out there to meet them first - similar to how it supposedly caused Chekov's parents to conceive him sooner than in the original timeline.

We could conceivably run into a City on the Edge of Forever issue, where the changed events mean the crew won't be in the right place to save the galaxy/world as in the original timeline. A lot of these occurrences could be handwaved by saying that Spock cheated and helped Starfleet head off most of these problems (Khan, the whale probe, tribbles) so that in this timeline they'll never escalate to the point of "we need Kirk to save us at the last minute!"

At the same time, though, there have been a number of resolutions on Trek that were remarkably serendipitous - V'ger happening to take the form of Ilia, whose bond with Decker - once nurtured - was the key to ending V'ger's campaign of sterilizing "carbon units".

Even with Starfleet's top minds and the benefit of prep time I'm not sure Spock could engineer such a successful encounter - and what if diverting those very geniuses from their original paths prevents the development of some essential revolution or technology that was key to humanity's survival in the original timeline?

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You're absolutely right. Must have had a nasty brainfart when I typed Courage instead.

Still an awesome scene IMHO.

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    A while ago, I read that Nemoy and Shatner were in talks to return in the new movie. Is there any new info about that?

13. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I read something fairly recently that neither Shatner nor Nimoy would return.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some new info did come out today, though nothing related to Shatner/Nimoy:

Orci confirms that the film's budget will be bigger than the $145 million of the first one, mainly because the scale of the project is also a lot bigger. One of the more complained about sets of the first film was the brewery-style engine room - that has undergone an upgrade with some "cool improvements" and you'll see more of it.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Taps for the beer!

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Considering how well the last movie did, they can probably afford it this time around.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

[image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/drunks/scotty_tomar.jpg]

"It's green!"

18. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    By the way is the upcoming Trek game a Tie-in for the movie?

19. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Yes the big new computer game is connected officially to the rebooted Star Trek universe by JJ Abrams. The writers / producers of both the 2009 film and the 2013 film are working closely with the makers of the computer game. It has been already established that elements from this computer game, IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic book series, the recent $60 board game have clues to the next film's story or tone (directly or indirectly).

20. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Great, lets hope Trek canon will be more like SW canon.

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    You mean even more confused, conflicted, and self contradicting? Is that possible?

I remember years ago someone had a comprehensive summary of the history within the starwars universe where each short story, comic, video game, book, etc had about a 2-5 sentence paragraph. The document was over 800 pages long. And I think that was pre-prequels.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    God, I hope it will be better than that 2009 travesty known as "STAR TREK". What a piece of crap that was.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It would most certainly be longer than by now. However, with mind-numbingly brilliant works like the Atlas tying histories together and providing universal resources for authors to reference, things are certainly smoother than they were back then (some notable TCW issues notwithstanding), despite the increased quantity of product.

24. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    What was so bad about it?

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Seriously? Do you want to start that here? Isn't that already covered several times in the JJAbrams Trek thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.