main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    They're thinking about using Hawaii as the setting of a jungle planet?

Awesome!

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Damon Lindelof tweeted that release date, not sure if I believe it, considering the delays for the first film.

I'll only be annoyed by the 3D if they release it they way they did with Thor, with limited/delayed 2D release. Fingers crossed they won't.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I hate 3D more than anyone. I hate the gimmick, and I'm sensory defencive, so don't like the feel of the glasses on my face. But this looks like it's industry standard for big budget movies now. I can't get angry about every movie filmed in 3D any more.

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You must. If people don't get annoyed and just give in to it, it won't ever go away.

7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Not really. It will only go away if it doesn't sell. Getting annoyed is just useless effort better spent elsewhere.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    And if people are annoyed by it, they won't go see it.

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't see how getting annoyed by something I dislike is going to make me dislike it even more. :confused: I don't like it, thus I don't see it. But it appears that lots of people do like the gimmick, and thus buy into it. And why would people who enjoy 3D get outraged about it?

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's not going to make you dislike it more, obviously. But you are annoyed. I am annoyed. Retain that, and every time a big film - or film you want to see - is released in 3D talk about it. Register your annoyance. Don't just sit there and say nothing. Sentiment travels. Arguments against the technology travel. Just as positive vibes spread, so do negative ones.

If you don't like something, the way to act against it is not to say nothing, or to say something for a little while and then give up because you can't see an endgame. If you stop being annoyed by it, that counts as one less voice shouting out against it.

11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I see it more like this. If I'm arguing against something that sells I'm just being seen as a grouch, and am no better than someone who is, say, against the sale of violent video games. I'm just an annoyance. And if it's not selling well then my lack of ticket sale will be doing more than any ammount of bitter resentment could possibly do. I have better things to worry about in the world than "They are making films in an extra dimension!"

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I am not sure how well your cries will be heard, muffled under that mountain of money that 3D films bring in to the studio. :p

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Everyone has better things to worry about in the world than complain about people making films in an extra-dimension. That is a given in this conversation and does not need pointing out to back up either your side of the debate or mine.

If you feel you're being a grouch, then that's your call. But you're not. At least, IMO. It only takes a small swing in public opinion to sway the 2D/3D audience figures. Indeed, it's clear that 3D films are not as popular as the studios would like - hence the efforts to pull dirty tricks like Dani mentioned re: Thor. There are even films that bring in more money in 2D than 3D. (Studios only continue to push 3D because they can charge more to see them. In fact, even if 3D fails we're all so conditioned to higher prices they could probably transfer the increase to 2D films and get away with it.) I don't think it's as immovable an object as it appears.

Your lack of a ticket sale is a good thing, yes, but 'bitter resentment' as you choose to over-characterise it, is also very powerful. If you just can't be bothered, that's fine and up to you of course, but, but bothering is always worth a shot. At the very least it creates a level of background noise that might be picked upon by the mainstream media, or other influential types, thus gradually influencing the pack.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - or whatever that phrase is.

EDIT:
    Alas. :(

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The first one would have ooked great in 3D. I would rather they do an equal 2d/3d release, but I won't cry about a limited 2d.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    If it's only released in 3D (which I doubt because with 3D becoming less and less popular even now, imagine what it'll be like in two years time), then I simply won't go and see it. I'll just download it and then buy the DVD if I liked it.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe they've ruled out Benecio as Khan.

I'd rather hope that maybe Weller is playing a descendant (or recreation/hologram/alien imposter/whatever) of his character, Paxton, from the final story arc of Enterprise (the real finale to the series, in essence). If the speculation about Green is correct, it can't be a coincidence that they just happened to reference Green in those same episodes (with Paxton being a follower of Green's philosophies).

19. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    While I like the idea of using Colonel Green for the next Trek film...

I sorta think Del Toro will be a Klingon captain (Kor, Kang, Koloth) on the hunt for a certain space pirate named Harry Mudd.

Many a Trek fan seems to be overlooking a sub-plot left unresolved in the 2009 film. I think this sub-plot may be kept in the background till the third sequel. What you ask is this clandestine sub-plot? Read on...

Admiral Pike is a threat to the UFP and Starfleet. The admiral is a host to one of those sentient arthopods first introduced in Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Conspiracy. Remember that nasty bug-like thing forcefed to Pike? Seems Nero might have been in alliance with the sentient arthopods. Perhaps both Nero and the sentient arthopods are participants of the 'Temporeal Cold War'. Nero and his allies are invaders from the 'prime time-line'. Nero failed in his quest for revenge, but his sentient arthopod allies are still in play via Pike. If this be the case then Pike's fate in the JJ Abrams-verse is not too unlike the Pike of the 'prime time-line'. Both Pikes end up trapped inside their own bodies. One a prisoner to the injury and the Talosians - the other to a hive / swarm of thinking bugs. Will Kirk and crew figure this out before it is too late? Or will the crew of the USS Enterprise be too distracted by genetic supermen on the loose or Klingons chasing space pirates?

20. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
  21. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Well actor Peter Weller's agent let slip a new bit of info. Seems Weller is up for a CEO role...or perhaps a CO role. Perhaps my Colonel Green theory is not too far off? Or maybe Weller will be an Orion Syndicate CEO? The mystery deepens, eh?

22. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  23. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It'd be ****ing stupid if Del Toro was meant to play Khan, especially since they seem to be looking exclusively at Latino actors. Khan is Indian-- Sikh, specifically (Singh). When Montalban was cast, he was pretty famous, there were few or no Indian actors to draw from and racial attitudes were a bit... looser (PUT A VAGUELY BROWN-ISH PERSON THERE AND HE'LL BE ANY NON-WESTERN ETHNICITY WE WANT). For the love of God, please don't go there in 2011.

25. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Khan was genetically engineered, so any race is plausible. Also, not all Indians are brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.