main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And most Indians don't have Mexican accents.

I also want to emphasize that I don't necessarily have a problem with Khan's actor not being Indian or from South Asia. I do have a problem with the apparent assumption (if this is indeed Khan they're casting) that he's supposed to be Hispanic.

2. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Maybe in Khan's universe they did.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I wonder what role Peter Weller will play? His agent said he's going to be a CEO, but since corporations don't seems to really exist in the future of Star Trek, I think he was just being clueless.

Maybe, in a tie with his Enterprise role, he'll play Colonel Green?

5. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I bought the first one on DVD but haven't even watched it yet.

I thought SW fans were supposed to hate Star Trek, LOL. :p

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I really hope they don't do Kahn. Trek has been trying to redo the success of Trek2 by copying the formula, but it has never worked. Partly because they were so blatantly copying, but also because they almost never have the guts to KILL a main character who isn't a villain.

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Oh please, nobody here is a Star Wars fan. :rolleyes:

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Even the Star Trek 'fans' posting in here hate StarTrek. Just read their posts. Everyone is disappointed by everything. Fandom is a willful life of abject misery.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I hate JCers, yet I can't stop posting. It's a viscous cycle.

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I don't hate Star Trek, I just think it has a lot of room for improvement

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's good but highly overrated IMO as everyone was just so happy to see the franchise get back on track.

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. There's one shot of the Enterprise from the outside as they approach it for the first time that I swear is half an hour long.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The problem with killing a main character in a movie is that it will still always been compared to Khan like Data's death was to Spock's. Tasha Yar's is more of an exception, and that was done on TV at that.

On the upside, if they do use Khan, it won't be just a retread of TWOK, but rather, it would have to be an alternate version of Space Seed instead, which would at least be different and have the benefit of being based on an episode 90% of the people who saw TWOK never actually watched.

Unless they try to merge SS & TWOK somehow, which would make it more of a retread.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, on the plus side, they managed to fit a Beastie Boys song in 200 years in the future.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think its more accurate to call TMP very cerebral, but in a way, it reduces Star Trek to its essence. The crew of the Enterprise explores the universe, but in the process they also explore what it means to be human.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like the original Star Trek trilogy, but the prequels lost me.

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Someone, maybe here, made the point that Kirk driving in that car and blasting Beastie Boys is the equivalent of a kid nowadays tearing through town in a horse and buggy and blasting Beethoven. He seems so much less badass when you think of it that way. :p

bo-ring

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    But he rigged the Kobyashi Maru test and slept with a cadet to do it. That by itself pretty badass....

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, that's a sticky situation...

20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Damn you autocorrect!

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's why I downgraded my phone. I like my phone like I like my women... never correcting me and illiterate.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That TMP was mostly boring? Undoubtedly. I think they could've easily trimmed half and hour of that movie (mainly the insanely long transit through V-Ger) and still carry its point across.

Yet, it was a reintroduction to Trek after the hiatus of TOS (IIRC, TMP was pretty much just a reformatted pilot for the new TV series) and in a way they wanted to reintroduce the crew and settings to an existing and new audience. I guess in a way that could also explain the movie's pacing.

As for the long scene with Kirk being shown the "new" Enterprise by Scotty...what pray tell is wrong with it? It's a beautiful scene, as Kirk - and mainly US - admite the new curves of a familiar ship to the tune of the majestic Alexander Courage theme. A scene that in all likelihood JJ Abrams tried to ape on a more reduced scale as he introduced us to his Enterprise.

23. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    another question: who will play caan (king of the klingons)? i'm hoping it will be julio iglesias.

24. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Poor Star Trek. Unpleasable fan base, combined with alt-universe fictional physics, combined with internet armchair reviews. It can't win

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ST:TMP -- if you eliminate about 30-50m of exterior shots -- would be, for my money, one of the very best Trek stories ever told (not sure it would beat Khan; would likely beat The Undiscovered Country).

The story about V'ger and the reveal and Spock coming to terms with his humanity, Decker, etc. is simply amazingly awesome. Even without all that crap in the books about the Borg being the ones to find V'ger and send it home. >.<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.