main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John "Superman" Williams

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by darthpup, Nov 15, 2011.

1. darthpup

darthpup Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2006
    Hola all

We all know that John Williams is .... SUPER (Know it doesn't need to be said, but am going for a poor joke).

Most of his music IS part of the movies the are in. Just listen to a few seconds of the scores from Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, Jaws, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and you know that it is from that movie and its a piece of JW work. The same can be said for Superman.

I was watching Smallville 'Rosetta' (the 1st one with Christopher Reeve) and there is 2 or 3 seconds from the Superman Score. I thinking how many times in smallville the did this, having a few seconds of the score reminds people of the movies and what Clark will become. The score is iconic as Superman himself.

So the reason for the post. 2 questions.
    the main 1. Should the new superman - Man of Steel have a John William-esc soundtrack or a totally new soundtrack?

and 2. does the movie music matter? (keep this one to a yes/no answer)

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Totally new. I would prefer a good score, but this is a completely new approach to Superman. It's not a remake, it's not a sequel, and it would be inappropriate I think to reprise or even particularly allude to Williams' music.

As for question #2. Yes. Music matters. Kind of a bizarre question.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'd prefer a new score with nods to the original interspersed throughout.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    As for as I'm concerned, no Williams theme = not Superman. Yes, Superman existed before Williams composed the theme, but the music so perfectly captured his character that it's impossible to accept any substitute. Unless they're going for a dark, not so heroic Superman, but that wouldn't even be the same character.