main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Dinosaurs. Rule.

I get the island names mixed up, but I don't think Lost World or JP: 3 go back to the island in the first film.

I wonder what has become of it. It seemed a lot smaller than the other 2. Were they all able to thrive?

2. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    i only remember one name. it was like isla nublar or somthing like that. the 3rd goes to the 2nd island. a completly different one than the one that was in the first film

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay the original is a lovely film... but the two sequels are dreadful. No explanation is necessary... they just are. So there.

The original (or 'Jurassic Park') has so much to love. The dinosaurs are absolutely spectacular. Infact I don't think they're yet been topped. Look at the beasts in King Kong, and then look at them in Jurassic Park. I know which ones I buy and which ones I don't.

I absolutely love the scene near the beginning of the film where Dr. Grant gives that snotty kid a fairly graphic account of how a pack of Velociraptors might close in on and attack their quarry. Classic stuff.

I love Dr. Malcolm and his confidence in his chaos. I love the park warden and his hat. I even think the portrayal of the two 'warring' children and the revealing of their true affection for one another in the end is handling extremely well. Dr. Grant's scene with them and the Brachiosaurus is wonderful and funny. :D

The crowning glory though, is the Tyrannosaurus Rex. Best. Film. Dino. Ever. At the very end when they are fleeing the visitors centre and the Rex practically roars the place to pieces is spectacular. I really get a sense of the dangerous power of these creatures... a power that is (infuriatingly) belittled and debilitated in the sequels.

Great film, lame idea for a long running franchise.

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Jurassic Park is Isla Nublar.

"Site B" is Isla Sorna.

First one is great, although very different from the book. I'd like to see a JP4 based more closely off the events of the original book -- it WOULD be an entirely new movie.

M. Scott

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh, for the longest time the original Jurassic Park was my all-time favorite moive. I can still so clearly remember seeing it the first itme in the theater. Even putting the DVD in the begining sounds at the Universal Logo of the chirpping crickets can put a smile on my face to this day. Got the smile on right this sec as I hear it in my mind.

HOw many of us have dreamt of dinosaurs and had been sorely disappointed? That movie was one that thrilled me no end.. the chase scene from the T-Rex, the raptors. All so real looking.

While the first was by far the superior of them to me, I have to give props to Lost World. The T-Rex in the suburbs was right out of one of my dreams as a child and I still vividly remember seeing the head of a dinosaur out of my bedroom window.

6. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I am most likely the only person here who likes The Lost World and JP3 as well as JP1.

7. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I like them all.

Honestly, how many dinosaurs movies are out there? Can't be picky. It's a sub-genre that is barely tapped.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I actually liked JP3 as it gave me what JP1 lacked...more dinos. Now if somehow the two films could be combined.

I have one large misgiving about JP3, even though it does not ruin the movie for me. I relize that maybe Spielberg probably wanted to change things up and give us a new monster besides T-rex, but the Spinosaurus was not a creature that could have taken on a T-rex. T-rex is not invincible, but it's jaw power was far, far greater than what has been calculated for the Spinosaurus.
    Jack Horner may have had something to do with this. He is a real life dino scientist, and he has decided that T-rex was a slow, stupid scavenger despite mountains of evidence to say otherwise. Most others will tell you that all predators are aslo scavengers, but no scavengers are predators. T-rex was most certainly a predator that only hunted when it really needed to and scavenged most of the time, like all predators do.

9. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I liked all three as well...

However, I also think that a possible fourth movie is pointless, aside from making more money. But I shouldn't be complaining because I'd see it anyway :p

10. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Before STAR WARS, I was growing up being really, really into dinosaurs, GODZILLA, KING KONG, JAWS and other large monsters/large creatures. I've never stopped being into them, it's just STAR WARS took over as my favorite. :cool:

I really, really enjoy JURASSIC PARK, THE LOST WORLD and JURASSIC PARK III and the same goes for the books of JURASSIC PARK and THE LOST WORLD.

The dinosaurs in these movies are by far the best, most real looking, real sounding and best realized ever. :cool:

11. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies next to Star Wars. I'm not a big fan of the sequels, but the first one is absolutely fabulous. The dinosaurs are terrifyingly realistic, the story is exciting, and it contains some very important and relevant ideas/lessons. I personally consider it to be one of the best Spielberg films overall.

12. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I like the first one, then the third, then the second.

I really liked Ellie and Malcolm, and missed them - especially their banter and how it drove Alan nuts.

The third was more like the first, I think - the whole trying to survive in the wild with the dinosaurs thing. I just didn't like the characters as much. Though I [face_love] William H. Macy.

EDIT: I'm dumb.

13. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Jurassic Park is the only film I have seen in the theater that has literally left me breathless. I actually forgot to breathe. A wonderful experience.

14. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'd always been fond of Dinosaurs as a kid. Jurassic Park was the coolest thing I had ever seen at the time, it rivalled Star Wars even. As for the other two, I was much less impressed. I enjoyed seeing the T-Rex action in Lost World, and Goldblum doing his usual bit, but that was about it. The third one was horrible. It physically pained me to see Sam Neil involved with the project.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I enjoyed the books more. The movie, while cool, cut too much out of it, and the second one was just bad.

16. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    What sort of things from the book were cut out?

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Did you know that John Hammond actually died in the first book?

Anyway, great movie. I can never see it enough.

18. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Yeah.

Eaten by compys if memory serves correct.

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    lol I thought you said Cowboys :p

20. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Maybe in an M. Night Shyamalan movie :p

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I like both the first one and The Lost World
    but I hate(d) JP3.
    Mostly I love TLW's dialogue [face_laugh] Especially Malcolm. Exactly my kind of humor :D

I did read the book first and when I saw the trailer I wondered where all these people come from... but I don't care much.

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    When I saw Jurassic Park in the theater it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. I grew up loving dinosaurs. For two hours being able to feel like Sam Neill in seeing a real walking dinosaur was just cool.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I loved this movie growing up, and will still ocassionaly watch it. I remember going to the Dollar theater where we use to live to see it in Theaters. I was glad it was the first film that I saw that I actually remember seeing in Theaters.

~PK~

24. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    I loved watching the JP movies because my parents actually let me watch them when I was young. (might have been something to do with the rating).

I really enjoy the sequals to the first one. The original has the best story by far, but the second two have more dinosaur action.

I do agree that if you saw a movie that was very faithful to the book, it'd be different from the movie. The least of which is that in the book, Tim is the older one. If I remember correctly from the book though, they discovered that the dinosaurs were breeding after Malcom suggested that their computer needed to look for more than their expected number of animals. Great story.

25. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i love all three movies. JP is my favorite, seeing the dinos for the first time you are almost there with dr.grant when he sees them for the first time; jaw dropping (and the book is great too). part two got a little far-fetched with the t-rex running round suburbia but still a great film none the less (and it had jeff goldblum in it, who is hilarious as ian malcolm). part three again got a bit more far-fetched, as though there was a band-wagon to be jumped on and they were just in it for the money. i agree with gabe that it was painfull to see sam neill involved. it's almost as if he did so against his will and that kind of comes over in his acting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.