main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO [kickstarter] Tim Schafer & Ron Gilbert (ex-Lucasarts) to make 'point and click adventure'

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    gotta give them this. they're really good at art direction.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So question, they needed $400,000 and they got well over that. What happens to that "extra" money?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    they basically made the game bigger than they'd originally planned on. the 400K was a bare bones, we can make a game out of this kind of budget. i think it was kind of an episodic length type game that they were thinking about with that budget. i seem to remember hearing about that somewhere. but with the extra money they were able to have better art, a full length game, more time to iterate on it and just make the game better. more time to write, and edit said writing.

make sense?

as an example, with the torment: tides of numenera kickstarter, they're at the point that the game will be 225% bigger than what they could make for the 900k they were asking for originally.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I was sure that they'd had the stretch goals on the kickstarter page, but I seem to have been mistaken. Wikipedia sums up what they did with they extra cash though:

The Kickstarter page was updated with the promise that additional funds would go to increased production values for the game and film, and deployment on additional platforms. A later update by Schafer affirmed that the additional funding will support development for the Mac OS X and Linux platforms and select iOS and Android devices. Additionally, the game will have voice acting for the English version, and include text localization for French, German, Italian, and Spanish languages. Schafer also stated that a digital rights management-free version of the game will be available after release.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    SOOON!

(ie, Part 1 beta released tomorrow for backers)

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Full game is out now. I've finally started playing it - looks gorgeous.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've played the first 5 minutes or so...beautiful game so far but I'm too deep in the other big name kickstarter game I backed to play yet.

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Is this Broken Age?

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I totally forgot about Broken Age and I also forgot to back it, but oh well, they made both acts and they have my money because I bought it a few days ago and completed it. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. Solving the puzzles on my own was very satisfying even though I did get a few hints from watching people play it on twitch before I pulled the trigger on the purchase. I really hope that Double Fine makes more games like this (or remasters old ones) because I want more point and click adventures.

Speaking of remasters, can anyone recommend Grim Fandango? I never played it back in '98 and I see a remastered version just came out this past January. IGN gave it a 9.3 so I'm tempted.

It looks like Double Fine just crowd funded a game called Massive Chalice, but it's turned based, not point and click. :(

Life likes this.