main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #43: The Reaping, Part 1 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xicer, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/comics/SWKnightsOldRepublic43.jpg]

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #43? THE REAPING part 1 (of 2) Written by John Jackson Miller; Pencils by Bong Dazo; Cover art by Benjamin Carré; Colors by Michael Atiyeh. On sale July 15. 40 pages.

An unprecedented new adventure begins?leaving former Padawan Zayne Carrick clinging to the side of a comet!

When Zayne and crew infiltrate a comet mine, his partner Gryph believes it?s another clever con to capture some quick cash. Little does Gryph know, Zayne and Jarael have other intentions?like rescuing the miners enslaved by this ruthless mining operation.

Of course, the noble intentions of the team will all be for naught if their plot is discovered. Swimming through stardust is no place to be when enemy ships open fire!

{edit: stickied for one week}

2. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    The summary sounds great, but I'm not a fan of Dazo's art thus far. It could work; we'll see. I liked it better last time than the first time.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Lovely cover.

4. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Agreed on Dazo, Keralys. But he's improved and the summary does sound interesting. Now the cover, that's what really caught my eye. Aside from Zayne's look, its probably my favorite of the series.

5. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    That. Cover. Is. Amazing! :eek: =D= :eek:
    Not quite so enthusiatic about the interior art, but oh well.

So...whatever might happen between Zayne and Jarael, they're still together (or back together:p ) by this issue. And do I sense some emphasis on them being almsot like their own team now, within the overall team, or am I reading into it a little too much?

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Jarael is...Elisha Cuthbert?

7. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Hmm...I guess I can see that. Kinda.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, not digging the cover. Way too much of the I-can-trace-over-pictures-and-Photoshop-in-textures! vibe. But the summary looks good, though it's interesting that we're not seeing a big change after Masks. JJM's hiding his hand, I think.

9. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Is it just me or does Zayne look like a long-haired Sam Witwer on the cover? :eek: Could Zayne be the progenitor of the Marek family!? (Yeah, yeah, I know...but I'd like to throw out a crazy theory every once in a while too.)

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Is it just me, or after 20 years of more or less earthlike planets, KOTOR is using a good deal of hostile dead rocks?

I approve in either case. Story looks interesting, and the title sounds onimus, but mostly this maks me really curious about what happens in Masks.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Not to sound like a party pooper or anything but are we going to be getting back to any big plot arcs soon?

12. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    why does zayne have a blue lightsaber? he's a sentinenal or is he now a gaurdian?.

13. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Technically, Zayne's not even part of the Jedi Order (or is he???), so the "rules" wouldn't apply to him. But AFAIK, those distinctions are really only made in gameplay mechanics.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Damnit, beat me to it- when I saw the cover I was like "Damn- Jack Bauer's gonna be pissed at whoever is shooting at his daughter!"

and the guy on the left isn't too far off from the actor who played Chase, which leads me to assume the cover artist just got Season 3 on DVD ;)

15. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    It is just me, or does anyone else get an Armageddon-vibe from the cover? As in Jarael and Zayne working on the surface of the comet akin to Willis and the others working on the surface of the asteroid?

16. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    I think this is part of a big arc. I think things are going to accelerate quickly from this point on through the rest of the year. Prediction: this two parter will be followed by a three- or four-parter to wrap up the year, with things picking up steam as it goes. I don't think this year as a whole will be lots of huge events, and it's worth noting that we really did get spoiled last year, with a pretty constant accelerando to the climax. This year is a change, and a slower build and burn into the big stuff. More like KotOR II than KotOR, in some sense. [face_thinking] (Hopefully that doesn't mean the third act will be an MMO... :p )

17. DarthFrenchFry

DarthFrenchFry Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2007
    [image=http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/u/us_weekly_hothollywood_080418/13_shane_west.jpg]

Hi! I'm Zayne West... I mean Shane West. Guy leaves ER and now he's attaching to comets!

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Now we just need a Mandalorian Jack Bauer[face_whistling]

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I like the cover a lot, though that's partially because I'm a fan of Zayne and Jarael as a couple, so I like the image of them fighting back to back (they sure spend a lot of time in spacesuits in this series, compared to other series- and at least neither of the suits are red [face_laugh]). Doesn't give any hints about what happened in the previous chapter, but no mention of Rohlan or Malak, so maybe the previous issue really was very important so they're being care to hide any and all spoilers. Sounds like another scam thing, but then again, the current Dueling Ambitions arc didn't sound like it would have any significance, but all the post-Vindication arcs have contributed something so far (confirming Jarael's Force sensitivity, the continuing "Rohlan" subplot), so something will probably happen, its just not the focus. Anyway, I happen to like Zayne going around doing good deeds and helping people, and don't really care about needing another Days/Nights or Vindication arc yet, so I'm looking forward to this issue and arc in July.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Which begs the question- just how does one say "DAMMIT!" "We're running out of Time!" "There's no time!" & "I'm gonna need a hacksaw..." in Mando'a?

21. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I like the cover. Very rogue-ish.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    WHERE IS THE WEAPON LOCATED??!!!

I like the lack of mention of Rohlan in the solicit.

23. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Well, there's more of the latter than the former. I also like the different settings -- it helps that we don't have to pay for the special effects!

And as before, the place of this in the larger picture will be quite obvious in retrospect. Publishers are increasingly careful with solicitation copy, giving the retailers (who these announcements were originally invented and still intended for) what they need for their orders while trying not to show all the cards, storywise.

24. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Sweet cover. So this is the arc directly after Masks?

25. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    That's correct. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.