main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Large Sizes' Patterns

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PappyCat, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PappyCat

PappyCat Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I've noticed that most of the plus size patterns offered are usually really ugly stuff...And if they aren't ugly, they certainly aren't things I can use for costuming.

My question is, how do I make the other patterns 'my size'? Forgive me if this is a silly question, I'm very very new at this. :)

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I highly recommend the book Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina.
    It's a very good primer on how to identify fitting problems and alter patterns to address them.

3. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I agree with Surly's sugestion. My other suggestion would be to learn how to modify patterns to suit your own body shape and how to expand patterns as necessary. Like me, you may end up just making your own patterns, but be sure to pick up lots of commericial patterns when they are on sale to learn flat pattern drafting and the general shape of various standard pattern pieces (bodices, skirts, etc). And be sure to make lots of muslins!

I've also noticed that some of the main pattern companies are coming out with more variety in the larger sizes, so be sure to re-check every few months. Oh, and don't just look in the 'large size' section of the pattern books, I saw some new patterns the other day in the evening/bridal sections.

Good luck!

~H~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.