main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC IX BEGINS***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingKool

KingKool Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2010
    So... the mall we were hoping for has closed down for good, and I've just been shot down for shooting at another one. I had some choreography that relied on using escalators, and those are the only two malls in Rhode Island that actually HAVE escalators.

Gonna have to change that, I guess. Also, we're without a filming location now. This is bad.

2. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Just choreograph something, then find a location, and if there's time, choreograph a bit of unique stuff that relies on the location itself. That way, no matter what, you'll have something to film.

And ha, for being in a small state. There's about five malls just in San Antonio that have at least six escalators each. lol

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    You should see Michigan's escalators. They'll take you places.
    One of the local malls even has those flat escalator/walkways you see in airports. Unfortunately, the two directions are not close enough for a saber's reach.

4. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    http://postimage.org/image/7h54cwsk/full/
    *Not a representation of final bumper (though you will be seeing that starspeeder model again..) Got bored while sitting at the hospital yesterday and did this, but ended up kind of liking it. I guess its a teaser poster to the bumper of the most anticipated competition of the year?

5. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Epic.
    Not really digging the ship in there. The planet is great, but you would still need something to help the left letters pop out more. You could enhance the starfield more and have the contained within the letters. It'd still fall off into darkness, but not quite as suddenly as it does.

That's one idea, anyway. Good work as usual.

6. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    I guess i should rephrase it: this isn't the bumper at all :p It looks nothing like this, just got bored. BUT if I was using this for real the letters would definitely have been built better.

7. KingKool

KingKool Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2010
    My friend starts a new job next week (well, he's in training right now), so we had to move up shooting. I'll go over the footage when I'm less exhausted.

8. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Oh, right. LCC. Nah, I don't think I'll be participating at all :p

9. Lordduckx

Lordduckx Jedi Knight

Mar 28, 2007
    Hey guys!

I've been watching your movies for a couple years now, and I think I'm ready to throw my hat in the ring. Got a couple guys coming over to film early next week or so.

I'm really new at doing this (well at least), So do you guys have any suggestions for newbies? How you go about selecting angles for shots, what helps drive the scenes forward, how to color correct, working with audio... any hints or suggestions from your experience over the years?

Also I'm looking to upgrade my roto technique this year. I've previously used Andrew Kramer's method, but wouldn't mind trying something new/more difficult if it looks better in the end. I tried looking for links, but all except for Ryan's tut seems to be dead/gone.

Thanks for your thoughts!

10. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    I highly recommend DownInFront's Judging show from last year. They have some great commentary on the do's and don'ts of LCC, and are highly inspiring.

Here is the MP3 high quality audio
    http://www.downinfront.net/audio/DIF-LCC8.mp3

Here it is on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&index=0&feature=PlayList&v=-7WD-mMmlx0&list=PL531354655D789410

11. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Just about a month left, how's everyone doing? We got any entries on the way?

12. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    We're judging again this year, with the same panel of judges, who are both Ryan and Dorkman, pro fight choreographer Eddie, Trey Stokes (Pink Five, Ark) and Brian Finifter (The Injured Stormtrooper, A Lost Hope[/i].)

13. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the main crew and I are taking a break from the contest this year, with the idea of getting started with something big to celebrate LCCX. That being said, I've had a few buddies who have never bashed a stick interested in putting together a fight so I'll probably help them out with that.

14. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Sounds like what We're doing too :p speaking Of LCC X..

LCC X I propose a Film Festival of the first decade of the LCC Competition (in a single theater like RvD2 was shown). It would have to be in L.A. of course, and we could do some other special things like a discussion with previous winners and near the end show the winning entries for LCC X. If this interests anyone I suggest we plan something now to find locations and see whose willing to pitch in. A long-shot idea would be to start a kickstarter project to help pay for the theater costs, so the event itself can be free. Would that go against the policy of not selling fanfilms or would we be safe? 

It sounds like its shaping up to be quite an epic competition judging by some of the contestants planning to enter, Silentbat and myself included, and this is going to be my last for a long while (unless we lose, then expect to see me the very next year :p) so I wanted to do it big and get to meet some other people and fans at the same time. Anyone interested or have any ideas?

15. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I am all in favor of an LCC X film festival.

16. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    I'd be happy to host the whole thing and punch Ryan and Mike in the face onstage, if you're looking for someone to handle that.

17. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    ...Bingooooo.

18. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Hmm.
    I wonder how much it costs to rent out one of the theaters at work for a screening. Probably quite a bit, we're fancy, but I'll try to find out. I know a few years ago the local art theater would charge $500 to do it, but I'm sure that's changed.

It's prolly a better idea to do it in LA than Michigan, anyway.

19. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    No, make them come to us for once. :p

20. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Oh sure, when I'll finally be living in California everyone flocks to the midwest :rolleyes:

21. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    If a festival happens, we should open up the format a bit, remove the time limit, reward story and effects, offer a big prize, and announce it outside of this forum so more people can enter.

22. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Well, that's all sounding a bit costly if you think about it. Considering time constraints and the financial challenges of renting a theater, it could quickly take more time than we could afford. We could, though, add a special category for Best Film, rewarding the best all-around package in an entry. But in terms of longer time limits and a big prize: this could effect the quality and time limit on the theater we get, depending on their rates. Definitely we should advertise to get other people interested in it (I'm doing something similar for another film right now) and get as many entrants as possible. I'm sure the prospect of seeing the top 3 winning duels on a bigger screen would be enough to entice anyone to join in.

23. David_Adametz

David_Adametz Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2007
    Or it could be a stand-alone contest.

24. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    So... I was sitting around the other day, and realized that "her, the deadline is next month, and we haven't worked on hoer since before I started working back in early June...

We've been working on choreo. Not gonna be doing what we had originally planned, but we got something fun planned. lol

25. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Don't forget on top of this, people would likely have to travel. And in order for them to do that, you'd have to have something pretty solid set up and finalized early.
    One idea to consider is a hall with a decent projector rather than a full-blown movie theater. Might not hurt to compare rates, if you're really looking into this.

Anyone here give up their silly dream of professional filmmaking and decide to study marketing, promotion or event planning instead? Now's the time to step up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.