main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~Le Institute D'Art--For Discussion and Appreciation of Fine Art~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DeJade_Vu, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I happen to love fine art.

I'm talking about the real things--Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Rembrandt, , Monet, Van Gogh, Seurat, Toulose-Lautrec, Dali, Goya.

Therefore I have created this thread for all those who do not necessarily consider comic book pictures to be the epitome of artistic ingenuity, and for those who would like to share their appreciation of true art with others who feel the same.

i also love art. however, i take issue with the division you're making between "fine art" (or, as you put it, "the real things") and everything else.

it's not a distinction that really makes any sense anymore, in the wake of the past 40+ years of art history. the Pop Art movement, postmodernism, etc etc etc. have left their mark on the art world and you can't just jump in the Wayback Machine and pretend it's still the 19th century and still claim to appreciate art in any sense that it exists in 2003.

you can add to the list of usual suspects mentioned above (Johns, Warhol, Lichtenburg), you can add Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Barbara Kruger, and Jenny Holzer onto a list of artists who are collected seriously, treated seriously by art historians, displayed in museums, and definitely blur the boundaries between pop culture and "fine art." you can't cover your eyes and pretend they aren't there, unless you want to treat visual arts as a dead language like Latin or something.

you might also want to consider Toulouse-Lautrec, who painted on cardboard in the cabarets and clubs of the time, making posters and documenting bohemian Parisian nightlife. he was definitely not considered "fine art" at the time. he's really in many sense the equivalent of a graphic designer making posters and club flyers for raves and such today.

also, neither Seurat nor Toulouse-Lautrec are Impressionists. they are post-Impressionists.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Diz, I think we've established earlier in the thread though that "fine art" can be considered non-commercial museum art. This is a discussion of art fits in these categories. No need to be hostile. We all realize that everyone has different tastes in art, I think :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I am back from my two week vacation to Florida! And of course I went to Disney World with my family--and I went on the Star Tours ride at MGM Studios. :D

Diz, you seem to think that since I only mentioned some artists from the 19th century and earlier that I am a snob who willfully and shamefully disregards all forms of art from the 20th. :) When I wrote that first post about fine art, the first examples that came to my mind were ones like Da Vinci and Goya--artists who are most often associated with it. It didn't have anything to do with disliking 20th (or 21st) century art.

If Kruger and Holzer are thought of as being, like solojones said, non-commercial museum art then you are perfectly welcome to discuss them here. That is what this thread is for. And you are right, Toulose-Lautrec and Seurat are post-Impressionists! [face_blush] I find it convenient to lump them all together under the Impressionist title I suppose.

And I do appreciate art in 2003, a lot more than you may think. My dad is an artist. :)

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm getting ready to do a paper for French class (and yes, in French) about Magritte, which I'm very excited about. I'm interested in doing some further research on him and his work. He's one of my favourite artists. I'll share my paper once I get it done (and translated) ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

In French! No wonder you knew what a botched job I did of titling this thread.

I would like to see that paper. I'm being honest too, I'm not just trying to be nice. That would be fun.

Noone must know what Bird in Space is...noone said anything about it yet.

6. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Time for an UP!

7. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    I love the work of: Monet & Vincent Van Gogh

My favorite picture by Van Gogh must be: "Stary Night". I love the colors he uses. The clouds are so, something I cannot discribe. They are so vivid, and beautiful. The town below is so quiet, and your attention seams to draw to the moutain and the cloud whisp.

My favorite picture must be: "The Bridge". I do not know the exact name, but I love how the colors green, blue, white, mix to form other colors which reflect the primary colors.

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I do enjoy art in many of its forms. One person's fine art may be different from another. Like in this instance. While this may be considered Folk Art, the skill and beauty involved take it beyond mere crafting.

[image=http://www.tryzub.com/Sofia_Zielyk/IMAGES/Collage.jpg]

9. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    My aunt does that, and I think it is very beautiful. I want to do that sometime. But, that is a wonderful art to do.

10. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Nice to see you on this thread DeJade...I had no idea you were such an art connoisseur...

My taste in art runs the gamut. I love Willem de Kooning. I love his women pieces, they are so garish and almost violent, (of course he was in a very dysfunctional relationship at the time.) I do like Roy Lichtenstein also, the graphic quality appeals to me (I'm an illustration student). There's something campy about his stuff. I love his dog picture "Grrr". I also like Baroque artist Artemisia Gentileschi. She has a tendency to paint strong women killing men... :p I'm a big fan of Renoir, I love the paintings of parties such as "Moulin de la Galette". Then I cross over to another modernist, Chuck Close. He's just so awesome. And of course, I adore everyone's favorite tortured, 1 ear artist, Vincent. "Starry Night" is one of my all time faves. Saw a show "Face to Face" Van Gogh's portraits...wonderful! I could go on and on, there's so much art I love, but right now...I've got a painting due tomorrow [face_plain]

11. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Hey Naccha! Did you know there is a movie about the life of Artemisia Gentileschi called Artemisia? Its really pretty good as most artist bio pics are to me. I don't recall if the covered her painting that you mentioned of Judith beheading Holofernes which was actually a popular subject in her day is is now considered a feminist image. Check Caravaggio's version also.
    Kudos to you for mentioning De Koooning, I have been studying his work in relation to the contemporary artist George Baselitz of late. Interesting ways that each fragments and abstracts the figure.

Baselitz
    [image=http://www.mimieux.com/arthistory/pop1/Gbas1.jpg]
    De Kooning
    [image=http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~rviau/ids/Artworks/dekooning_woman_i.sm.gif]

12. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Very nice pieces, but I'm still drawn to the energy in de Kooning's work. It mesmerizes me.

Did you know there is a movie about the life of Artemisia Gentileschi called Artemisia?

No, I didn't. I'll have to check it out at our local art video store. Sounds very cool.

Check Caravaggio's version also.

That I have. He's another Baroque artist I love. I really like the dramatic lighting of Baroque period art. It's very engaging.
    Another artist I love is one that few consider to be a fine artist, though his work is every bit as good as fine art...Maxfield Parrish. He's classified as an illustrator but there is a fine line between illustration and fine art. His work is wonderful. His technique of glazing colors provides such a richness to his work... I am into fantasy art and he definitely classifies into that genre as well.

13. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Sooooo....hate to see this languish on the back pages. DeJade, where are you? Well, what is everybody's favorite period of art, or style? I appreciate pretty much everything out there (with the exception of the cow gut installment in Germany, I think). I seem drawn more to realism the most though. Maybe it's just the familiarity of it or I'm impressed by the technical aspects of achieving a realitic/illusionistic work on a 2D surface. I love that illusion and I love trying to achieve in my own work.

14. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Where have all the art lovers gone??? Must keep this thread going...cuz

You Gotta Have Art..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.