main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just imagine Ender as a really drunk Russell Crowe.

Mr. K likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I do a wicked Rusty impression.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

:p

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

harpua and Ender Sai like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Accurate.

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    http://www.investordaily.com.au/344...ail&utm_term=0_d518ea30de-a6ce45086b-53508357

Interesting piece on shifting demographics among families in Australia. Whilst this doesn't deal directly with the issue of income equality it shows a more crucial shift in attitudes towards the traditional roles of "breadwinner" v "homemaker".

In Hanna Rosin's arguments* against the lazy "WIMMENS GET 77% OF MEN'S MONEY FOR WORKS!" soundbyte, she argued that the real driver of any inequality in pay is the disruption to a woman's career that family can be. This, she argued, is the real issue as legislation, regulations and attitudes expect that women sacrifice careers for family and no meaningful change is possible without a shift in law and attitude.

(* Going to see Rosin talk at the Festival of Dangerous Ideas in Sydney in 2 weeks time - excited!)

What, therefore, the above link shows is a minor shift in that direction. It's a baby-step, but crucial because it shows that the change is simply happening. Australia's a country with strong sexist undercurrents (though we lamentably engage the hyperbole drive and use "misogyny" instead, because YOLO right?) and nothing will challenge this better than inarguable results such as, you know, successful women.

Small victory is still a victory.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's just crazy talk from women who want to kill all men and harvest their sperms! TUMBLR TOLD ME SO

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Adam of Nuchtern and Ender Sai like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Succubi are ironically a male sexual fantasy
    definitely bad!

11. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    So you make a thread about sexism and then get mad when people give a personal example of their own because of the gender they were born? You do realize how hypocritical that is, right? This could have been a nice idea for a thread if people with different experiences were encouraged to share their stories and learn from the experiences of others. But if you want to hear the sound of your own voice, thats fine too.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    3... 2... 1...

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Upping this thread was a mistake.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Upping any of these threads is always a mistake.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Hey man, I'm just saying, maybe you want to consider taking this back. I mean, it's cool and all, but SLG will **** you up. So you know, fair warning.

VanishingReality likes this.
  17. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    With a reasonable rebuttal or with a flurry of personal insults? Because I can handle either of them.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It's more her style to drain the blood slowly why you're alive.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it usually involved setting fires in flesh.

Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

You do realize that SLG's post, the one you quoted, was from nearly 6 months ago, right? Stop retreading old ground.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    lol typical bro talk

dp4m, Ender Sai and VanishingReality like this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  24. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  25. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    That's what happens when the legislature does a poor job writing a law. It's not the court's job to rewrite the law on the fly to match what they think the legislature meant. It's the flip side of the laws that are made overly restrictive and catch unintended actions in their net.

Something similar happened in Virginia a few years ago, with regards to the law regarding stopping at a school bus with flashing lights. The legislature forgot the word "at", and so the law as written only made it illegal to fail to stop a school bus with its lights flashing, rather than stopping at the school bus. Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/30/AR2010113004624.html

Does that mean that sometimes a creep goes free? Yes. But that is the price of having a society of laws. That which is not prohibited is allowed, and in this case, the law didn't prohibit it. The court ruling makes it clear that the Massachusetts legislature could make that behavior illegal (and in fact, they considered a bill in recent years that would have fixed that section of the law), and the court even pointed them at similar wordings from other states that would have solved the problem. They essentially handed the legislature a new law on a silver platter, but it is still up to the legislature to actually pass it.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.