main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA Table Top Gaming thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I figured we were just snacking. I was planning on eating before I left but I'm an old man and like to eat dinner at 5PM. I think it's gonna be us guys and maybe Zannah?

Now I have to figure out if I'm wearing my X-Wing or Tie Fighter T-shirt

2. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Um, Lets see who will be here to not game

Zannah will be here and Zannah, and then there's Zannah. I'm sure the four of them will have a great time.

The only kind of food will be just for grazing so the best thing to do is eat before you come and we have a meat/cracker tray, candy, chips/salsa and some soft drinks.

Jammies some how I think you'll do just fine on the teaching part.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    It was a blast! Thanks again for hosting us. Thanks to Professor Jammies for showing us the ins and outs and doing all the prep work with the materials. Thanks to everyone we weren't expecting to show up for showing up.

Hey Jammies I really liked those ion and hit markers you had. Where did you order them from or if you're ordering for them again soon can you add some extra to your order and i'll pay you for them? Also where in Lowe's? did you get those vehicle bases?

Can't wait until we can get together to play this again.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Jammies how is your photoshop-fu? Think you could make a "Pink 5" card? How about a Jolly Roger Squdron card for the Imperial side?

And for those that don't know the Saga of Pink Five...
    http://www.pinkfive.com/

5. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    that game was a lot of fun. may have to go out and buy the main set. then talk Jammies into printing out more cards for me. or at least sending me the files.

6. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks all for coming over and making it a fun time. I think the ladies also had a great time visiting and watching the "guys" move and blast each other off the board.[face_devil]

Commander Jammies thanks again for the models and instruction on play. Can't wait till the next time.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    @ Mika.
    Thanks! Honestly, it was a lot of prep work. But I think my cards were a lot more usable then the stuff supplied with the game, and I think my hand painted and built ships were much cooler too. I'd hate to think about how many hours I put into it, but that is what a hobby is right?

The models were from a company called F-Toys.They come pre-painted, but I repainted them. Another company called Fine Molds makes a 1/144 Falcon and the Slave 1, so I hope to have those done at some point. And, some resin companies make very limited (and unlicensed) editions of other Star Wars craft, like the half-finished Imperial Troop Shuttle I brought. Other ships on the "black market" are a Shuttle, a TIE Droid, a TIE Defender, a TIE Phantom, a Chiss Clawcraft, and the Tie from Legacy. Some of the Titanium toys are about 1/144 too, and I got a Z-95 I plan on polishing (Mara Jade?). A little birdy told me that at some point the Skipray Blastboat, and the Ebon Hawk in 1/144 will be at Wonderfest. In the sithmas thread, I linked to an ebay auction of a three foot 1/144 Rebel Transport. Hope Appo gets that for me under my tree.Randy Cooper sells a Rebel Blockade Runner in 1/144 for 350$. I think the Tantive IV would be the largest ship one could use in this game.

Lowes had clear plastic that I cut with a Matte cutter. However, I did that a long time ago, and just pulled them out of a bin. They might have been store bought from a gamer store somewhere. Now I am confused. Probably, I used a combo of both. The hex threads I got a Lowes recently. The squares are 30mm, as are the ones for the game. I did see these on-line, and they would probably best suit your needs:
    http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1206546096
    As for the Ion tokens, and the little fire markers, those came from Litko-- and I hope they make more stuff for the game. http://www.litko.net/ I see they have a plastic range finder now. Not sure if it is necessary, but it is cool.

The board I had printed up at a college print shop and matted on foamcore, but I am sure one could do that with any image at any Kinkos. Vox asked why there were red and blue squares, and now I remember I did that in case I ever panted to play the old WOTC star ship game (I didn't, after reading the craptastic rules).

As for my photoshop-fu, actually I used MS Paint and Publisher, but I did do a lot of "scratch" cards for the rebels. The "Gold Squadron Pilot" card was "Photoshopped" to be Blue Squad, Green Squad, etc. A Pink 5 wouldn't be a problem. Nor would an Appo with special ability "Vacation Hat." I'm glad you are up for buying the Falcon and the Slave 1. Just let me scan the cards first. :)

@ Vox. Check your PMs Sir.

@ Appo.
    Thanks man. I can't wait for next time either. I'm glad everyone had fun, and I am glad the cards worked and the models were a hit. Modeling is a solitary hobby, so being able to share-- and then actually play with them-- is a rare treat. I should spray them with a protective coat though (fingerprints). As we get more familiar with the rules, I wouldn't mind running a scenario, or even a campaign of linked scenarios. This game might be the answer to the winter time blues. Thank you and Zannah for opening up your home, and more importantly your table.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

8. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    My absolute pleasure and honor. I had an incredible time, and I can't wait till the next time. I plan on completely joining in. :cool:

9. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Jammies and all who attended It's always a pleasure to have you all over for fun and games..

10. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    hey jammies, too bad we can only print out on paper on our school accounts. be awesome if we could use photo stock. I still over 700 pages in my account. Anyone want a hard copy of the rule book??? :D

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    It was only like, 10 bucks to print cars off at walgreens-- and keep in mind I had like, 5 multiples of the generic pilots.

And, yes-- if you need to burn some printing alotment, I might have an idea or two o_O

12. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    and this is why we were are friends.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Jammies, when the Falcon comes out you'll have to come up with an Outrider model and Dash Rendar card.

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Yes. Yes I will. :)
    Sadly, my model kit buying budget is shot for this year, and probably next year too. There are some great but very limited edition kits in this scale out now.
    I'm tempted to sell some stuff, like comics (anyone know anyone who would buy SW comics?) and some of my larger unbuilt models (like the 3 foot SD).

Anyway. Thanks for putting up pics! They look great. It also looks like the markers are attacking the rebels.

15. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    WU WHO

look et the X-wings flying all crazy directions,

2nd pic one of the pilots says "I've got a bad feeling about this"

16. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh muh goodness! I had such a grrrrrreat time with some of the best friends I've ever had in my life. Mean it and next time this girl plays the game and stays on TARGET. LOL!! [face_dancing]

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Heh, I could see Ms Jammies finding you face down in a pool of plastic and blood :)

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Ha!
    She has seen me cut my self a few times, but she has yet to see any REAL good ones! It happens. Superglue makes a good coagulant by the way.

20. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    HAH! don't worry it was only a flesh wound:D

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Announcement

To support and generate interest for the next wave of Xwing miniatures due next year(the Millennium Falcon, the Slave 1, Tie Interceptors and A-wings) , Fantasy Flight Games is promoting the “Kessel Run”tournament. This tournament event is being held across the country (and other countries) the weekend of December 14-16. Locally it’s being held here in Louisville and in Fort Knox. More distant locations include Lexington and Indianapolis. Prizes are…
    • 1st Place – First choice of one of the included preview ships
    • 2nd Place – Second choice of one of the included preview ships
    • 3rd Place – Third choice of one of the included preview ships
    • 4th Place – Fourth choice of one of the included preview ships
    I think if any of us entered this we would have a good shot at a prize just because I don’t think turnout is going to be real big. I know the game is selling well locally but I didn’t see any“league”/organized play when I was scouting out gaming locations a few weeks ago. The downside is you have to play by tournament rules and with official Xwing game gear (which is fair) so our house rules and equipment wouldn’t cut it. I’d like to enter but locally both events are being held on Saturday December 15 and I already have a volunteer commitment that day. I gave Jammies a heads up as I was gathering info on the local events and have offered to loan him my official pieces to make the 100 point squad he would need to participate (he’s still thinking about it). I have enough gear to field 2 teams (1 Rebel and 1 Imperial) so I’m throwing it out there if anyone else wants to give it a shot I’ll loan you what you’ll need as well (but Jammies gets first pick on faction). You can just give me everything back at Zannah’s party Saturday night. We can also get together for some practice with the tournament rules ahead of time as well.
    My pieces include
    Xwings x3
    Ywings x2
    Tie Fighter x6
    Advanced Tie x 2

Locations and times….
    Louisville Pet Shop Comics
    http://www.petshopcomics.com/
    Date:Saturday Dec 15
    Time 1PM
    Entry fee $10

Fort Knox Hard Knox Games
    http://hardknoxgames.com/
    Date Saturday Dec 15
    Time 12PM
    Entry fee $5

But, better than any prize will be the chance to connect with (and recruit for us) Star Wars fans that love the saga so much they’re out spending their money on these little plastic models and rule books. Plus you’ll be able to see how they behave in a semi-stressful public environment so you’ll be able to judge if they’d be a good fit for us. Maybe the LGA could eventually Co-sponsor a tournament with a store to get our name out. They run it and we supply prizes. Lord knows I have boxes overflowing with merch and swag.

The Kessel Run
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_nrep.asp?eidm=105

The Official Games Rules
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/SWX01_XwingCoreRulebook_lowres.pdf

Game Errata
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq/SWX01_XwingFAQ.pdf

The Tournament Rules
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq/SWX01_XwingFAQ.pdf

So is anyone interested?

22. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    OH Man that sounds so cool, wish I could go and try my luck

BUT

The Sithmas sprit will be calling me all day long that day. The price one pays when help Zannah get ready for a evening of fun with friends. SEE YA'LL AT THE CANTINA!!![face_dancing]

23. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    So Mika did you get to make a trip to the table gamming over the holidays? AND do we try to set up another event sometime soo??

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    No, no gaming over the holidays. I'm still as inexperienced as everyone else. Mrs jedimika was wanting to do a game night some time but I'm leaving that planning up to her; won't be this month though. I'd still like to set up at one of the game shops and maybe draw some attention to ourselves in a good way,

Lord_Zannah likes this.
  25. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012

I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts!!!! ... Oh Jammies, would it be alright to post this on Facebook? Oh my Star Wars!!!!! LOL!!!!