main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Well I finally have something to show. :)
    I've been working on a version of Arwen's requiem gown for Dragon*Con and I finished the under dress last night. I'm going to be custom dyeing silk velvet for the over dress later this week.
    I'm not going for total accuracy with this costume. I think my dress will turn out a bit more on the 'periwinkle' side in color, but that's how I like it. ;)

I decided to make my own trim for the sleeves and neckline using multiple layers of a silver organza sewn onto a base layer of interfacing. I then embellished this with cording, which I couched on to it, beading, sequins and a lot of hand embroidery all done in silvers.
    I also hand beaded the upper sleeves which are made from a satin (matte side up) covered in chiffon. The under dress itself is also made from a satin using the matte side as the right side. This won't be very visible once the velvet over dress is worn over it.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the trim and upper sleeves. :)

Silver trim and upper sleeves

edit:(Apparently Geocities isn't working at the moment. So, please check again later. :( )

2. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    OhmyWORD! Dawn! That's absolutely gorgeous! I did my own trim & embroidery too, and I know how much work it is. Spectacular!!

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Beautiful job Dawn, the embroidery on your sleeves is amazing, I still need to finish this costume, I only have the velvet overdress done, so much to do so little time.

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, it looks amazing! I love how your trim turned out! I can't wait to see it in person!! :)

Maggie

5. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Dawn - what are you going to use for the thin trim on the neckline over the overdress??

I have trim I want to use for this costume for the underdress, but haven't found anything I liked for the overdress.

Also - did you make the sleeves raglan, or are they set-in?

Maggie

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks you guys! I'm a LOTR costume n00b so it's good to hear you like it. :)

Maggie, the sleeves are set in and I'm going to be making my own trim for the over dress as well. I bought some really pretty silver braid that I'm going to use and then I'll bead it and add sequins, etc. More hand work! Yay! ;)

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    liann, what type of velvet did you use for your overdress? I had zero luck finding a commercial velvet in the right shade of blue and I've already tried three different blue dyes (alone and in various combos) and still haven't gotten the right shade. I have two more dye colors orederd from Dharma, so the test swatches will resume as soon as they get here....

8. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    It's looks beautiful, Obi-dawn! I love the color of the blue!

9. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I got mine at an east indian fabric store, I'm not sure what exact kind of velvet it is a very thin light weight velvet with a two way stretch with a very short nap, the one side is a light blue then it goes to dark blue on the back, I bought it because the price was right, I actually found a perfect one at my local expensive fabric store but it was way too much money. sorry thats probably not much help.

i'll take some new photos of it today, the photo i have up doesn't look anything like the actual colour.

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Dawn - it looks fantastic! So much detail in your trim, it's just beautiful. And originally I thought this was going to be a quick thing you were doing for Dragon*Con. :) I should have known not to expect anything less than perfect from you ;)

- Kay Dee

11. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Obi_dawn OMG!! =P~ It looks absolutely gorgeous!! Your beading and trim work is dead on!! I am so glad I decided not to do this gown..I would be shamed out of the Con!
    I cannot wait to see it in person!! We really should all bring little plastic disposable drool bibs to D*C --Instead of a lobster on it and can have a little picture of a costume...LOL! [face_laugh]

I found some velvet locally that I bought for this gown, however, I'm going to be using it for something else--but I thought the color was pretty great. It is not a silk velvet--it more heavy and less drapey--$10 a yard 60" wide--I'd be happy to give you the information and you want. :)

[image=http://www.ferdalump.com/requiem1.jpg]

~Ferd [face_monkey]

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the offer FERD. :)
    That is a great color you got there. You always score with the great fabric finds!
    I'm determined to use my silk velvet though. Don't know how the color is going to turn (tee-hee...) but I'm on a mission now!

liann, your velvet sounds really pretty! Yay!

kay_dee, yes it was supposed to be a 'quick' elf like dress wasn't it? Blarharhar! It was quicker to embroider than the picnic dress, so I guess in comparison it's still a 'fast' costume. [face_mischief] *chuckle*

13. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow Dawn, your dress is going to be so beautiful!!! I love the beading, and I can't wait to see the finshed product!

:)
    ecila

14. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I found stretch velvet at Denver Fabrics - it looks dark on the website, but I sent for a sample and it looks just right. I think that's what I'll be using.. :)

I can't wait to see the final product! Yay! :)

Maggie

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I deliberated over that stretch velvet at Denver Fabrics. It does look like the right color. :)

Suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment and have to dye my own.... [face_hypnotized]

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Here are some pics just scroll down, i'm having website problems and the can't get the proper page to load so I just stuck them there.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooooo, liann, that velvet is beautiful. :) Looks great!

18. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, it looks totally stunning so far. Amazing work on the emb. and beading. Wow.

Looking forward to seeing it live!

19. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Obi-Dawn, that's gorgeous! Good luck with dyeing your silk velvet :)

20. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but TORN got some really nice close up pics of the LOTR costumes that were on display at Comic Con

Pics

21. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Spacelady, it's okay. Guess it's the price to pay when one want accuracy over cheapness. Anyhow, I doubt I can do the Coronation Dress any time soon as there is absolutely no sight of a Lime/Spring Green Velvet here in Singapore, not even in Panne Velvet (the closest I found was called Sky color and more towards pastel green-blue). Some people at ACS-LOTR are also discouraging me from even trying to test dye a buncha Panne Velvet Swatch to try get the correct shade. :(

And from a trip to the local cloths district, I finally found a source for Dull Red Jersey Silk Velvet (Seller said it's from England) which can be used for the Arwen Cranberry Dress as it is or dyed a darker red. Cost ~USD11/m but it's still considered affordable (or rather saveable) for me. Add to that the Indian Beaded/Bullion Embroidery Trimming I been wanting to buy since March(?) and this Cranberry Dress may get done as soon as I figure out how to do gowns and get the fabric. :eek:

Dawn, your Requiem Underdress, especially the trimmings is a beauty! =D= I now got this dress on my List-To-Do again but I doubt I gonna have the strength to do the Trimmings & Upper sleeves beadings myself. [face_blush]

Oh! Don't worry too much about the color of the Overdress as it's actually not that consistant. :oops: Get the color/shade you are most confortable with as the actual was what I think is Grey Silk Velvet that was dyed donno how many times and at several concentration that the whole dress doesn't have 1 color anymore. After seeing it Front, Back, Side & Under (FRIEND: DE! Get your head out of Arwen's Skirt!), I still wonder how to achieve that kind of color variety. [face_hypnotized]

As for my LOTR Projects, a lot of stuffs is in progress (Lothlorien Elf Archer, Arwen BR, Elven Archer) or suspended (Fountain Guard, MoS). So far, still got to add 1 more faux layer and the V-Patterning on my Haldir's March Warden tunic and I may try to do a proper cloak for it. Currently, I only have this silly picture from when I first wore it to Malaysia's Starlight Cinema LOTR Trilogy Screening (most of the Malaysian whom I met there were amazed that I came all the way from Singapore just to see LOTR and have the courage to be the only one in Costume that night [face_peace] ); full body will come once I finish the film they are in this Mon.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Sith_Haldir/LOTR%20Costumes/040710_starlightcinema1_35.jpg]

Also working on a couple of New White Tree Of Gondor Pennets for fun. Had finish stencilling 1 and due to me using Velveteen, still got to trim off the Raw Edges with Satin Bias Tape. The 2nd one will probably be Self-Line while the 2-3 more doesn't need as it's Tafetta Velvet (so won't fray) so I can just leave them with the raw edges. Plan to hang 2 of them above my bed post to replicate the way the original were hung above the Strider costume when the LOTR Exhibition was in Singapore, with the middle reserved for a smaller version of that White Gondor Flag I been drooling over, clearly seen in ROTK on the 6th Level when Gandalf & Pippin went up Minas Tirith.

Then, I must start on my Elven Archer Armor to be worn this Dec at a local Cosplay Event or else I'll be Bathan Poodo. [face_sick]

22. Slaygirl

Slaygirl Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2004
    A while back someone was asking about the Witch King costume. I did a version of this and have a page where I tell how I made it http://www.freewebs.com/slaygirl101/index.htm incase anyone still wants to know.

23. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I finally got around to modeling my Arwen Mourning Gown the other weekend (It sure took me a while!). I have a few photos posted here... mind you I'm no Liv Tyler!

My Mourning Gown photos

-kay dee

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Slaygirl, your witch-king looks great!

Kay_dee: I am soooo amazed by your attention to detail on all of your costumes, your newest one included! Great job!

~Laura

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That's an amazing looking Witchking!

Kay_Dee, you look so lovely in your Mourning Gown! Good find on the wig too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.