main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Wooohoo! That is great news, Dawn! I am glad the new dyes worked out. :) What brand dye did you use? (for some day when I actually get to this costume)

Can't wait to see it!
    :)
    ecila

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for the comments, Obi-Dawn Kenobi & Ecila! :) It isn't perfect nor accurate (I used a different fabric, color of the paint & made the length shorter) but guess it'll be okay for now (Frankly I can barely remember much about the Gondorian banners/pennets when I got to examine them, other than the Osgiliant one is Silkscreen).

Ecila, unfortunately I can barely get myself out of Singapore these days due to limited funds. :( But hopefully after next year when I get myself to hopefully Canada to study, I can attend DC like I been dreaming about for years. ;)

Obi-Dawn Kenobi, good luck with the dye job and I hope it'll work! :)

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Kay_Dee, Slaygirl, Sister_Sola your costumes all look fantastic, great job. I love you pennant Darth Eagle. Good luck with they dying Obi_Dawn.
    Unfortunately I'm not going to DragonCon :( I'm saving up for Celebration.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks everybody! You're well wishes must have worked because the dye job looks like it was a sucess! :D

ecila, I used two of Dharma Trading's Fiber Reactive Dyes. The colors I used were cobalt blue and blue gray in equal amounts.

I'm so relieved to have that part over with. :cool:

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Just was to Jo-Ann's today and they had Simplicity patterns that are new that seem to be patterned after LOTR. #'s 4940 & 4942.

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congrats on a successful dye recipe Obi-Dawn! - can't wait to see the results :)

-Kay Dee

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I *think* I finished it. Although I may need to attach the overdress trim to the underdress trim at a few strategic places over the shoulders to get it to stay in the proper place while I have it on.

It has its issues, it is not perfect. But I'm happy with it and I love the color of my velvet...so... :)

My Requiem Gown

8. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow Dawn - your requiem gown is absolutely perfect!! Just lovely.

I love the beading, and the dye job turned out so nice! Yay!

:)
    ecila

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It looks GORGEOUS Obi-Dawn! You are amazing.

:D

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Dawn, it's so pretty! One of the more accurate replicas I've seen - especially the pattern you used! I'd imagine you spent some time playing with the patterns to get it so perfect. Your dyed velvet turned out great too!

-Kay Dee

11. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Woooooww!!!!! Your velvet is... =P~

Sooo beautiful!!! :D

~Spacelady

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks. :)
    I'd rather the sleeves not be as sheer as they are, but finding a suitable fabric for them was hard in the short time I had to make it. I love wearing it though. It's so very girly.... [face_batting]

13. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Obi-dawn, your gown is gorgeous!! The beading is incredible and you're right, the color of the velvet is stunning. I am curious on how you store this gown. I have two LOTR dresses and since they are so long in the back, they drag along the bottom of the dress closet. It wouldn't be such a big deal but I like to display my shoes underneath and all the accessories (jewelry, wig, sabers and such) on top or I would have my hubby move the pole higher.

Ideally, I would like to just have dress forms all over the house but since that's not an option, I have to store them all in an empty closet and make sure my cat doesn't decide they'd make comfy beds!! :p

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually don't have that problem with this dress because I made it a little above floor length all the way around. (On purpose) :)

It would be so nice if we could have dress forms all over to display stuff though!

15. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Do not follow me! :p I am sooo terrible to all of the costumes that I make, I have this big tub, and I fold up all the dresses and somehow fit all of them in there. I still have no clue how I did that... [face_thinking] :p

But the bad thing about that is once you get them in there, there's no coming out! :p

~Spacelady

16. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Here's a suggestion for the storage problem:

I just got married early this year, and underneath the train on my dress, a little loop was sewn into the lining. To keep the dress tidy, you just put the loop over the hanger. This should work for the LOTR dresses with trains as well.

17. Starphyre

Starphyre Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2002
    Ok, I'm sorry if this was mentioned earlier and I just didn't see it; but...

I can't for the life of me find an affordable grey suede for Arwen's Chase outfit. But I did find some pleather that looks to be about the right color. Would that work?

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi, your Requiem Dress turned out great! =D=

Ladystar, I don't even own a dress form :_| and can't afford the only one sold at Spotlight. Am considering making a Duct tape one; desperately need one in order for me to properly shape my Hip Armor for my Elven Archer Armor but not sure who to ask to wrap me up. Anyhow, all my Costumes & Elven Gowns are hung either from the door or on the staircase railing after being put into the thick plastic cover. It's not long term but when I'm ready to hang it in the wardrobe (whose height inside is about 1m :oops:), will be pegging or hanging the end from another hanger. But that is because the dress is either satin or Jersey Velvet so won't get cruched and any wrinkles can be smoothen using the iron or hanging for a few days from the door.

Starphyre, it'll depend on your own taste as long as the pleather doesn't have shiny surface. ;)

19. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Obi_Dawn Your gown is Soooo BE-You-Te-Ful!! So Girly indeed! The dyeing and the beading--Gasp!! Fabulous job as always!

Have a monkey [face_monkey]

For the Arwen Chase, I have not studied it much, but IMHO I would think pleather would not be that great for it. Moving into Fall weather suedes, faux suedes, and suede cloths should be pretty easy to find, and you should be able to find them affordable too. Might be a better, more accurate option--but as Darth Eagle said, it's really a matter of your own taste.

~Ferd :D

20. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, what shape did you cut out the pattern piece for the lower, sheer sleeves? Half circle? Tube? Quarter circle?

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the monkey FERD. :)

Uuuuhhhh...well, Sola, I just sorta made up my own shape for them...I used that new Simplicity pattern as a reference, but the sleeves from that weren't anywhere near full or long enough. Since I can't really describe mine, I took a pic of the muslin pattern piece I made. I used two of these for each sleeve:
    Made-up pattern piece

I'm sure this is probably no where near accurate to the real one, but it works fine for me. ;)

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks - an actual pattern piece pic is a better start for me than just reading people describing the shape!

Thank you!

23. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    D'oh! I just realized I never posted in this thread how gorgeous I think your dress is, O-D!
    Silly me!

It's thoroughly luscious, but you knew that. ;)

24. _sauron_

_sauron_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2004
    hey I really want to make a aragorn/farimir type cloak
    but I dont know how to get started where can I find a pattern to follow? if if someone could help me out I would REALLY REALLY be happy ive been tring to make this cloak for like a month

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    _sauron_, Simplicty patterns has a few LOTR inspired costume patterns available. Perhaps something like this one:

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9887/9887.jpg]
    Simplicity #9887

could be a good place to start? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.