main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    By the Way Maggie your requiem gown turned out gorgeous! I guess I missed your post because I've kind of fallen out of the LOTR loop :( (Christmas time was keeing me busy too).

Another Job very well done!

- Kay Dee

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks Kay_dee! Yes - I haven't heard from you in ages! Hope things are well! :)

Congrats Caitlin! I can't wait to see a pic of how Rogue's Aragorn shirt turned out!

:)

3. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks guys! Do you know, I completely forgot to take any pictures of us with my camera? I've been poking around for other people's pictures but haven't had much luck so far, since I'm not really "into" the online LOTR community.

Caitlin

4. Mich

Mich Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Hiya everyone,Your costumes look great..

5. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I need a little advice on a LOTR related project I'm working on.

I'm making a set of Hobbit waistcoats with decorative embroidery and was wondering about colour schemes.

What colour thread could I use on a green waistcoat; silver or gold?

The pattern will be like a vine climbing up each side with ivy leaves which look like the Lothlorién brooches.

I'd appreciate any help people can give.

6. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    This is just my take on the color thing--not at all having to do with "LOTR Fact." If you're going for a more elvish feel, like with the mallorn leaves and all, I would say go with silver. For a more "hobbity" feel, do the gold. Either way, I'm sure it'll look great! :)

7. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    If you want it to look like the Elvish brooches, then go with silver as the brooches were silver and green.

8. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Yeah, I figured it would look more elvish with silver and that is the kinda look I'm aiming for. I just wanted to be sure.

Another one I'm gonna make is brown with red thread in an oak leaf pattern, and also maybe a blue one with the tree of Gondor over the pocket.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Bumping this up from the ice-age...

Hi guys!

Last summer, I made my first attempt at Arwen's requiem gown. I'll admit; I started it before I actually starting caring how canon the costumes were, and I'm regretting it in the long-run.

I cheated and made one dress out of dark blue velveteen, sleeves out of blue satin, sewed in a false-underdress out of the same satin, and used thin silver chiffon/organza for the lower sleeves. The only thing remotely accurate was the trim, which I hand-made using a computerized embroidery sewing machine and a lot of beading.

This was the result: (ignore the person with the amazingly good costume next to me. :p )

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/Comic%20Con%2007/DSC00934.jpg]

So now, it's time for version 2.0. That's better. And way more accurate.

I bought some dark blue/grey silk velvet for the overdress. Cost way too much, IMO, but is a pretty damn good match.

For the underdress and upper sleeves, I'm going to use a dark lavender/blue satin then have an embroidered silk habotai of somewhat matching color over it. I know the sleeves are embroidered and beaded, so I'm just debating on how much I actually want to embroider, and even how much I want to cover with habotai. I know covered the entire dress would probably be more accurate, but I'm cheap. :p

Once I have the fabrics, I'll have to go hunting for embroidery thread that matches. I'll probably just salvage all the beads from my first dress (or try and sell the thing?).

The trim I'll just make again, though I'm going to try and manipulate the pattern so that it actually comes out more curved instead of straight like the first one (which didn't like being curved and just puckered and died essentially when I put it on) so it applies to the neckline easier. I'll probably put it on a silver chiffon similar to my first sleeves, but actually back that up with a denser material so it's not as transparent. Or just use whatever I find for the lower sleeves and put it on that.

Then comes the lower sleeves, where I'm stuck. The actual dress is a light jacquard that's silver. Finding anything even remotely similar to this has been damn near impossible. I've found some good silk ivory jacquards, but I'm trying to find as close a match as possible.

10. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    You both look lovely!!!! I am currently making Arwen's Coronation gown for Supanova (Australia).

Maggie (Padawan's Guide) has her lovely tutorial on how she made hers including her diagram on the lower sleeve construction! She also has a sketch of the lower sleeve fabric. I don't think you will find a fabric with the silver through it.

Thai Silks has some lovely jacquard silks! Bouquet and paisley would be lovely!!!

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I love Maggie dearly (sorry hun), and have been using her building page and the ACS one for help and tips, but no one seems to have found a good enough sleeve fabric for what I want. Maggie used a whiter fabric, and I'm trying to find something more silvery and close to accurate.

12. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    It does looked nice IMHO.

You could still keep it and say it's Arwen's "other dress". :p That's what's happening to my CoN:LWW Susan Coronation Dress; it became my LOTR Character, Anarien's Dress (ya, I SHOULDN'T had used Panne Velvet and spare some cash for real Greyish-Blueish Velvet instead)

Is it the one from eBay?

I saw something close there going for ~USD10/yard but without seeing it in person or under normal lighting, I can't be too sure. Their "Greenish" Velvet turn out more like Panne Velvet's "Sea Foam" color which is Blueish-Green instead of the Lime or Spring Green color seen in their eBay photo. Was lucky the seller told me straight that it's more "Teal" Color and Maggie of Padawansguide showed me a photo of it against the Coronation Dress Fabric Swatch Card.

The original for the Upper Sleeves is Silk Chiffon (probably washed so it get wrinkled; we discussed this some time before or after I gave Cat my "report") lined with probably the same Silk Satin as the Underdress. Ya, the Underdress is Plain except for the Sleeves but then again, it won't hurt for us to customize our version to be more patterned.

And none of the Underdress or Overdress is Lined (except the Upper Sleeves which is more like an extra layer added to it) but Liz doesn't have to handle hot days or sweat as bad as us and they might be on a budget or limited time when they did some of her dress; seriously, some of the hidden seams edges or the edges of the cloth are not even finished with overlocking stitches!

Personally for me, I'm having most parts of my dress Lined to at least absorb or block my sweat. Forget to lined my John Howe's Galadriel Gown and now regret it as it shows when I sweat, and thus can't wear it out to non-Aircon places.

The original might be some sort of Greyish/Ivory-like Thin Brocade or Jacquard (ya, the Exhibit Label, even for the Full "Items List" said it's Brocade) and have 3 patterns sewed with Silver Threads like those used for Brocades:
    Leaves on a Vine, 4 Heart-Shaped(?) Petals Flowers and Chrysethemun-or-Lotus-like flowers scattered on it. Something like this
    [image=http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Requiem/requiem_sleeve_decoration_Anar.jpg]
    (Ya, I know that 3rd Flower is missing but I can't seems to draw it out yet [face_hypnotized] Will see if I can do anything one of these days as got 2 exhibitions worth of photos and sketches to process or do and lots of costumes, websites, armors to finish....)

Personally for me, if finding a close pattern is difficult, I'll go for the Leaves on Vine and Small flowers pattern.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The velvet is a silver-grey silk velvet that I found at Michael Levine in downtown Los Angeles. It's been taunting me every time I go into there, but I finally caved in. This photo still isn't doing the color justice; it's not as dark as the picture is making it out to be.

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2230/2283593905_e41161015b_b.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2284417196_18350d6a0d_o.jpg]

This satin is what I'm going to build the underdress out of.

As for the upper sleeve, thanks about the chiffon. I wasn't positive which I wanted to use, but thankfully the place I found the habotai has chiffon in the same color. :D

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2284360633_3d81d44ebf_o.jpg]

I'm going to try and order a small sample of the darker one to overlay with the satin. It should be thin enough to not make it too dark, but if it does, I'll try a lighter color to see how it looks.

As for the lower sleeves, the bottom jacquard is the one I'm steering for. I won't find a match to the original fabric in terms of the patern unless I order it custom from India or something. I'm going to order a swatch and see how flashy the white flowers are. If they aren't THAT noticeable, then sweet.

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2283630281_384be71619_o.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.