main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Your courses sound awesome, Idrelle! Have fun!

This week I start registering for classes for the first time in two years. I'm really looking forward to it. Having money for school is awesome! :p

I haven't been too enthused about this summer's movies, either. But that's okay, because I don't usually feel like watching movies in the summer anyway. BBQs are where it's at. :)

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Mmm, BBQs =P~

Congrats on going back to school!! [:D]

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    THIS.

The only things good in DH2 were the scenes with Snape (Alan Rickman has outdone himself) and the escape from Gringotts. Everything else was pretty much meh. And it's almost ironic how much dialogue was lifted straight from the book, while so many important things were changed for no reason whatsoever. There was no payoff, I hardly felt any emotion for the characters (they completely ruined Neville's badass moment when he killed Nagini), but what's worst, there was no atmosphere. I don't mind changes as long as they make sense within the film and are consistent. LOTR had many changes, but it felt like Middle-earth (and even changes like Faramir's character made sense within the internal logic of the films). The only HP film that felt like the books was POA and maybe PS (if you ignore all the saccharine).

4. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Yeah, LOTR did have some drastic changes, but I think it was the talented actors that really made it feel like Middle Earth. The Harry Potter film series really didn't have such talented actors baring one or two, but then again, I think the HP series was geared for children, not adults. The other thing, personally, through the HP movies that really ticked me off was that it felt like they were stealing material right from the pages of the Chronicles of Narnia. I remember one of the movies, I nearly stood up and shouted "thief!" Sorry, but the fact of the matter is, the Chronicles of Narnia came before Harry Potter. Narnia was born about in the forties. It drives me batty, when people were watching The narnia films and say that they stole it off of HP! I'm like, "Uh, it's the other way around people!" C.S. Lewis wrote it the same time J.R.R. Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings. Heck, the two of them were close friends and collaborated with each other. They would go to the pub and drink beer together.

Actually, the best movie adapations from novels, that I have ever seen so far has been the Chronicles of Narnia. The first film was extremely close to the original sorce; well, at least once they stepped foot into narnia. The scenes in the real world at the very beginning were changed a little. So far, just like LOTR, the entire series has kept very close to the the spirit of the series. HP, probably, not so much.

Well, this weekend, hoping Captain America will not be another disapointing move of the year. I've had enough of being dissapointed this year.

Movies that have met or exceeded my expectations:
    1. Pirates of the Carabean: On Stranger Tides
    2. Kung-Fu Panda 2
    3. X-Men: First Class
    4. Fast Five

Movies that have been a sore dissapointment in order from the worst offender to the least.
    1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2
    2. Cars 2 (uggg! That was the first movie Pixar utter disspointed me in. Too flooded with political propeganda)
    3. The Hangover 2
    4. Green Lantern
    5. Transformers 3
    6. Super 8
    7. Thor

Movies to come that I am still excited about seeing:
    1. Sherlock Holms 2
    2. Captain America
    3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    4. Mission Impossible 4

Movies I expect to be put dissapointed in:
    1. Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked
    2. Cowboys and Aliens
    3. Real Steel

Movies that I wont even bother with
    1. Twilight: Breaking dawn
    2. Smurfs
    3. The Three Musketeers
    4. Spy Kids 4
    5. The Muppets
    6. The Adventures of Tin Tin

So to say, this year has been horrible so far, and is not really looking any better.

5. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks, NYC! :)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Feel free to call me Nat :)

The movie I'm most looking forward to right now is Friends with Benefits.

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Saw the first trailer for the new Spider-Man film next year. Sorry again, but this is one movie I am going to skip. They've turned Spider-man into another Twilight wannabe. The effects looked horrible, the costumn in terrible, the acting in the few clips shown was frightening. To me, it looks the action scsenese were as bad as The Last Airbender and the drama is at bad as Twilight. All of you Twilight junkies out there can have this film! For me, I am content in sulking that they've ruined one my childhood superheroes. LOL!

Please, let Star Trek 2 come quickly!

Oh, and Lord of the Rings looks Awesome in High Def! I'm glad they've finally gotten around to releasing the extended editions to Blu-Ray. I skiped the theaters version to wait for these editions. After watching the three films in extended format, you just don't want to go back to the originals. The extended scenes really adds to the movies, and you really miss them when they're not there.

My movie list was not comprehensive, just a list of big movies. Soul Surfer was a fantastic movie. Friends with Benefits will be something I see when a big movie is not being released. Next weekend will be Cowboys and Aliens, The week after that will be Rise of the Planet of the Apes. If Friends with Benefits is still out after then, I might check it out. I'm not against romance comedies in the least.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think it was just released, so i'm sure it'll still be around in a couple of weeks.

I think rebooting Spiderman again this quickly is silly.

9. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    LOL! Stan Lee made a cameo on Eureka tonight, and quoted the Incredible Hulk! This show can be so crazy at times! It's the best Syfy television series ever!

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Holy cow! I never knew they brought back Inuyasha to finally conclude the series! I hated how the series finally left nothing solved. Now, when is it coming out in English?

11. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Harrison Ford's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel was awesome! I loved the skit when he's arguing with Chewie! "I'm done with that Star Wars cr**! Craig Daniels is my wookie ***** now!"

Then later at the end. "You slept with my wife...and she's still spitting up hairballs!"

LOL! Harrioson had me cracking up so hard! He still has that fire!

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that the other day. Pretty good stuff!

Does anyone have fun plans for the weekend?

13. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Nope. None here. You?

14. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Seeing Captain America. And writing.

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Captain America was awesome! It was the first really great summer movie of the year, and easily the best superhero film of the year. I loved the Avengers trailer that appeared after the credits where we got to see some of the heroes together for the first time.

16. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    I just saw "Cowboys and Aliens." It was awesome! A lot of fun. :D

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm staying home this weekend; I got sick this week :( No movies for me, unfortunately; I'm glad there are some good ones this summer!

18. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Sitting at home, writting, and watching The Incredibles on Blu-Ray. An idea is forming for a fan fic. What would happen if a Superhero went through a super-sized mid life crises?

19. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Harrison Ford strikes again! He kills Papa Smurf on TV! Good for him!

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Have you seen Megamind? If you haven't, you need to :D

Aww, poor Papa Smurf :( I'm actually kind of excited about the Smurfs movie, even though it looks like a crossover with Enchanted :p

21. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    That was hilarious! His entire appearance on "Conan" last night was great.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    He was on Conan! Aww, man, I missed it! (I love Conan.)

23. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Harrison has really been on fire as of late. He can be quite funny! First he does a skit where he basically tells Chewbacca that Daniel Greg is his partner now, and then he goes after Papa Smurf. I wonder if what he said was true and his wife did actually take their child to see Smurfs instead of his movie.

Megamind was pretty good. I've never really liked Will Farrel(spelling ?), but this wasn't too bad.

UPDATE: Sorry, went to bed realizing that I got Daniel Greg's name backwards.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( He's my fav! Anchorman FTW :D

Yeah, it's nice to see him around; I haven't heard of him in anything except Indy IV. How old is the kid and what's CvA rated?

25. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Cowboy & Aliens is PG-13 with no swearing, no sex, but brief nudity and lots of violence. It had a lot less camp and cheese than I'd expected and was definitely worth watching.