main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sounds like a blast!!

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I did! It was awesome meeting some people on here and from Twitter!

And yesterday I got a really good job offer! So happy! And oh did my first ever guest appearance on a podcast! Any one else here do podcasts?

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow! Sounds like a great week!

Nope, not me. I tend to talk really fast, which sometimes makes my words run together, or I get really nervous and clam up.

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Congrats on the job offer!

I've never done a podcast before, but my husband is the third host on one.

5. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    yes it was most definitely fun!

And thank you!

AND I GOT CABLE AND INTERNET BACK! *does happy dance* Time to set my DVR!

And now I can post on a regular basis!

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  7. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I feel the need here to pay my respect to the man who did a lot for all of us here. Without him, we would not have had Pixar animation, and all the awsome animated movies that came. Even Dreamworks animations like HTTYD, Shrek, etc. would never had been made without the groundbreaking technology and financial backing that he gave tot his struggling Pixar animation studio. After all, if there was no Pixar animation, there would not be Dreakworks computer animated movies eitehr to compete with them.

Without him, millions of people would not have their Macs or apple computers to be able to type up their fan fiction. Without him, we would not have the Iphones, Ipods, and Ipads that many of us use daily.

So in a way, it was because of Steve Jobs, many of these awesome fan fictions that we read here daily on these boards were made possible. Farewell, man! You did good!

R.I.P Steve Jobs.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Jobs truely changed the world. I'm sad he's gone so young, and I'm sad for his kids, who lost their dad way before they should have.

9. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    So how is everyone doing?

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Tired and stressed :( I hate midterms. 56 hours and they're over (not that I'm counting or anything 8-} )

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I have come to the conclusion that, like there are five stages of grief, there are five stages of stress.

1. Denial: You're in denial that you're stressed. Everything is fine, you totally know that you can cope with all the piles of homework, rehearsal is just rehearsal, and no, it doesn't matter that you have a major paper due in two weeks and you haven't had the time to start that research. You're confidant in your knowledge that you always get things done, therefore it will get done. This is the year of no stress! Can't your friends see how "not-stressed" you are? You're totally doing fine! Well done, you!

2. You Need a Break: Your world is shriveling up and shrinking. You're crossing projects off your list, but the list doesn't get any smaller. Rehearsal is something that never ends. There's one thing after another thing after another thing and... good god, does this ever end? In an attempt to hide from the work, you (a) hide under your covers (as if hiding from your work list will make it get completed) or (b) go out and have a social life because you recognize that you need a break. After all, don't you always have people telling you that you need to take a break every once in a while to keep on functioning?

3. Realization: You suddenly realize that you're stressed. You realize that all those breaks you were taking to help manage your busy life have actually done more bad than good because now you're behind in work. You panic because you need to get caught up, and you curse your stupidity for taking all those breaks. The world looks like a solemn, black cloud and you can't help but go over everything you have to do in your head 24/7. At school/work, you end up with the mantra, "I'm stressed, I'm stressed, I'm stressed" going through your head about every five minutes. You start glaring at people who look far too happy and not-stressed.

4. BAM: You can't deal with the stress-related depression you've sunk into, so you swing to the opposite end of the emotional scale and dive off the deep end - in other words, you become EXTREMELY HYPERACTIVE AND VERY LOUD TO THE POINT WHERE YOU HAVE NO CLEAR CONCEPTION OF THE THINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING AROUND YOU. ISN'T LIFE FUN? STRESS IS FUN! FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN, LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS I'M DOING, YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

5. Crash and Burn: Your hyperactivity crashes and burns out. You don't quite feel the same depression you have during the realization phase, but you don't have any energy left to be hyperactive. You're finally capable of getting your work done, one thing at a time, despite the fact that the list of things to do still ain't getting any shorter.

(I just crashed from my hyperactive phase - isn't it glorious? :p )

12. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Oh Idri, that is definiteky true.

I start a new job in week. It hasn't really hit me yet that I am leaving this one. I have been here for two and a half years... and yeah. There might be waterworks on Thursday. Actually more than likely there will be.

But it's a good move for me. I'm slowly getting more excited and nervous.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yikes [:D] That sounds like me, just substitute "work" for "rehersal" 8-}

Yay, that's exciting! Though sad to be leaving the old one. If you don't mind me asking, what will you be doing at your new job?

14. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Oh I will taking reservation for our Club owners and dealing with their accounts. Apparently its loads of info but a good change.

15. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Good luck with midterms, Nat!

Idri, makes perfect sense.

Good luck at the new job, MJ!

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Cool! Good luck [:D]

I got through midterms! Now, maybe, I'll have a bit of time to write. I'd set myself a schedule, but it sort of went out the window this month 8-}

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Watching Star Wars on Blu Ray. With the first set of changes made to get the movies on DVD, I didn't mind the changes. I've always thought the changes are so small, that the Star Wars Fan should stop complaining because they're so small. Well, after watching the Blu Ray's, even I have to admit that some of these new changes are horrible. Wicket's larger eyes that blink is just scary, that it will give anyone nightmares. The Obi-Wan Kenobi immitating the roar to scare the Tuscan raders was laughable, it was so bad. I'm not even going to mention the" No! screams from Vader! Other changes did improves things a little like making Yoda a CGI in the Phantom Menace.

So now, I have to admit that George Lucus is indeed making some pretty poor changes to the movies.

On antoher note, I've always enjoyed watching The Amazing Race. While one article bashed the show saying that it's bad for tourism, because the players are too rushed to enjoy the sites around the world. I find that to be a very selfish look at it. I see it as, because of the game, many of the challenges have the contestants do good work for the communities where they visit. For example, one challenge has the contestants building toy trucks out of milk cartons, for the children at an orphange of Africa. To me, that's what makes the show great! Contestants get to do good things all across the world, and enjoy a little of the different cultures. Whoever wrote that article and bashed the show for that stupid reason needs to get a life.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I *wish* I had midterms. At least they come and go. I'm trapped in a perpetual time loop of drama with a major paper creeping up on me. Whoever had the idea to have a critical theory paper due the week before mainstage opens should re-think that for next year.

Oh, and damn semiotics and semiosis. And Charles Peirce and Thomas Seboek. Their theories and the application to public performative events are making my head hurt. [face_frustrated]

19. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Did some freelance web database develpment this week. I had little time to write anything, but at least I most likely made some money week. Now that I handed in my project, I can again return my focus onto writing.

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    woohoo! Daylights savings just ended! I get to redo the last hour! That's good, because I wasn't all that focused in the last one o'clock hour. Perhaps this one o'clock hour will be different!

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It means that I get more sleep time. Wahoo!

We had our tech dress for the show today. Finally had guns onstage, which was interesting. Everything gets really tense when there are guns onstage because of the protocol surrounding them. And man, they are LOUD when they go off. I'm not even onstage when one of the guns gets fired, but we could hear the echo of the sound all the way in the green room.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I hate DLS, but this year, I was grateful for the extra hour.

Real guns?

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes, with blanks.

The blowtorch is even more exciting.

(I know, I know, now you're wondering what kind of show has guns and blowtorches in it :p )

24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Why do we still even have DLS? To me, it has become quite antiquated and really just needs to be rid of as soon as possible. This is the 21st century and there's really no reason to have it any longer.

25. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I just saw the trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman...

I'm not entirely sold on Kristen Stewart, but Chalize Theron as the Queen surely gives me the shivers. And damn me if I may not see the thing only because of Chris Hemsworth. He exploded through the screen like a sun going nova in Star Trek, made a legend of himself as the Mighty Thor, and here as a humble, scruffy-looking Huntsman, he still manages to completely steal the show.

Honestly, what is it with those lads from Down Under? What do they put in the water to make fine men like Russell Crowe, Eric Bana and Hugh Jackman, to name only a few?

*dreamy sigh*

Cheers,

Lauré :)