main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I post at both. I just hang out here more.

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea, better chatting here than there. The one think I do like over there is knowing how many people are looking at your work.

3. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Woohoo, I finished my first course towards my Accounting: Intro to Business, and I aced the the course with a 97!! [face_dancing]

4. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Good job! I hated accounting when I took it!

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks!

Man, I was such in a good mood from acing that course, only to now get bummed out by own writing. I working on a very sad scene in one of my stories, and now I'm depressed.

Has that happened to anyone else, or am I just going nuts?

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats!!

I almost always end everything longer than a viggie on a happy note (because I love happy endings - couple of my friends were laughing about it in SFFBC, because I really honestly hate when stories don't end happily), so writing a depressing scene doesn't usually do that to me, since I know it'll be okay in the end.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    O, hai, Nat. :p

I personally like any kind of ending - happy, sad, tragic, frustrating, bittersweet - as long as it is satisfying. And yes, something can be frustrating and satisfying at the same time. See the conclusion of series one of Sherlock for details. :p

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, no kidding. [face_frustrated]

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I love writing angst and depressing pieces. :p

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Aye, aye, me, too. Well... kind of. As long as it makes sense for the scene in question that I have playing out in my head. I don't go, "Oh, I feel like writing angst today" and write an angst scene. I get an idea, and if it happens to have angst in it, then I go for it because something tells me that I really want to write that scene.

But I'm also all for bittersweet endings. :cool: [face_peace]

Mar -- [face_laugh] I know, I know! [face_frustrated] And they they have the decency to make us wait until next year to find out what bloody happens... :p

11. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    I don't just decide to write angst one day either. It just happens while I write or I come up with some idea. It's actually easier for me to write that than mush or romance.

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I just enjoy writing well-rounded fiction that has a little of everything (action, suspense, romance, angst, etc.)

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    O, hai, Idri :p

I'm not so well-rounded. I don't do action very well :p Drama 'cause it's fun, and humor 'cause it's funny. And a nice dash of romance, but not too much. And I like to read what I like to write (I tend to skim long action scenes in books, because I'm just not into them, whereas I'll go reread the humor). Is anyone else like that?

14. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    For me I'll read almost anything, even if I don't know anything about the fandom that the author is writing about. There are some talented writers out there who all they need is encouragement. I don't think they should be discouraged because they write about what they have the most knowledge about is not what is popular out there. Everyone deserves a shot.

15. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have to agree with you! I love angst, I love humor, I love anything that has a good plotline! And everyone deserves encouragement!!!

I write everything too! I love angst, but also like happy endings. It could go either way depending on the muse!

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Well said, mrjop2! :)

Since I'll write pretty much whatever the story or the muse demands of me, I won't really say that one genre is easier to write than another. They all have their easy bits and their difficulties. For example, keeping track of all the movements that come with an action piece is more difficult for me (since I've never really experienced that kind of thing personally, aside from highly choreographed stage fights; I don't have a background in martial arts to draw on :p ), but that's counterbalanced by the high-running emotions of the characters, which is easy for me. As for drama, keeping track of character interactions, for lack of a better term, (i.e. how Character A acts around Character B will be different as to how they act around Character C) can be a bit mindboggling at times (comedy of manners... comedy of manners... agh! 8-} ), but that's counterbalanced by how much fun it is to do. :p

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I just bought a new Grammar checking program. It's one of the highest rated Grammar checking programs out there and this version is one specifically geared for writing novels and short stories. I hope this improves my grammar tremendously. I paid some good money for it.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, that's cool, mrjop2! :) Personally, I prefer to do the checking by hand (though human error is inevitable and I do miss stuff occasionally, but I'm usually not too, too bad with typos or weird sentences) since I have little trust in spelling/grammar things for the computer, but if that works for you and ends up helping you, that's totally awesome! :D

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm not too fond of grammar-checking software, as often they tend to correct stuff that's right. I prefer doing a check myself and of course have a good beta well versed in grammar.

20. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    I set up my Microsoft Word program to hunt down particular mistakes for work. It works pretty well, but I still double check it.

21. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    For me, I double and sometimes triple check my stories, throw it through my grammar checker, which also helps me with using more complex words, and then I depend a lot of my grammer book for punctuation checks.

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree. Human-check is often more reliable. Grammar-checks on computers tend to not realize the difference between collectives and plurals and such things.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never used a grammar checker (other than the auto one in Word). I usually have trouble spotting mistakes in my own work, because I know what it's supposed to say 8-} But we've got a lovely new beta index in the well for those needing someone to double-check . . . [face_batting]

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, betas are very good at that sort of thing, usually.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey guys! So who remembers Qwi_Xux and Sache8?

The two of them met on these boards almost a decade ago. While staying good friends, they have also spent the better part of the past few years writing a book series.

And wouldn't you know it, they got published!

What are the books about? Here's the description of Book 1, Awakenings, on Amazon:

A surprising fantasy about friendship, trust, and restoration. Nearly a millennium ago the Speakers were murdered...and their relics disappeared. But now awakenings stir the land. Xari Oth'ilin, an orphan half-breed of the fierce Westerlons, flees the prejudice in the orphanage to pursue her destiny. But it isn't until the Otter relic falls out of the sky that she learns she has been specially chosen as one of the twelve elite, long-forgotten group of "protectors" known as the Speakers. Fluttermouse, a headstrong, accident-prone fairy, is tired of being treated like a sprout. As she stubbornly pursues adventure and fame, she'll meet headfirst with more trouble than even she could dream up. Anathriel Lelaine, a snobbish handmaiden, only imagines life inside her secluded mountaintop kingdom-until she's thrust into a dangerous liaison with Immen, the leader of the eagle riders. Bound together by chance, magic, and a desperate flight from the evil Mortén, they all discover that anything can happen....

I've read the first three books and they are AMAZING. Awakenings is my favorite by far and it's just so much fun. A beautiful story that just gets you hooked.

Book 1, Awakenings, is on pre-order right now on Amazon. We're having a "Buy the Book!" day this Friday, October 15th, where we all buy the book on the same day to help raise the rankings on Amazon.

You can follow the series on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=95684529710&v=wall

Info for the "Buy the Book!" day is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166715470005636

Help support two of our very own! And once you get hooked, start writing fanfic and posting it in NSWFF! I also encourage bad!fic just to make the two of them cringe. :p