main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Lucas We Have A Title.....

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Star Wars Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones
    It's campy
    B movieish and fun...

I LIKE IT!

What do YOU think?

2. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    YES. I love it. It really fits in with the classic trilogy titles, and has that B-movie touch too. (Attack of the.. insert radioactive mutated creature here.
    http://us.imdb.com/Tsearch?attack+of+the )

Exciting IS the word I would choose. :)

3. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    I hope it's changed, but maybe it'll grow on me...

4. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    I'm not too crazy about it, but then again I didn't really like "The Phantom Menace" as a title when it was announced. By the time the the movie came out though, I didn't really care, and now I must say, I kinda like it.

Go figure :)

5. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I will be waiting for the Killer Tomatos

I did not like The Phantom Menace as a title either, mainly cause I did not get it, now that I do, I like that title.

But I can do with out this B Horror movie sounding Attack of the Clones. Why not just The Clone Wars, same idea.

6. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Of course, here in NYC, it will sound like "Uh Tack a da Clonez". ;)

I don't like it. A real clunker. It also reminds me of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and even "Killer Klownz from Outer Space".

But I guess we gotta learn to love it. (*sigh*)

**Piett**
    Send in the clones . . . where are the clones . . . well maybe next year . . .

7. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    i agree with piett it's a real clunker- blech.

8. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    It could have been worse....he coulda called it 'Attack of the KILLER Clones'

9. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Cailinn-Sarr

Cailinn-Sarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    Thank the Force I'm not alone in thinking the title bite's,but it's Star Wars so in the end it dose not matter,you couldn't pay me enough not to see it.

11. madmax

madmax Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    It could be called Reloaded! Bwahahaha

12. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Now that a day has gone by, I'm not as in love with the title as I was. Must have been the excitement of finally knowing the title. I like the "Blank of the Blank" formula, but "Attack" just doesn't sound right.

There was some discussion as to whether the title would turn away a lot of non-fanatics. If Mr. Lucas takes the box office effect into consideration, I wonder if he would change the title. Preferably after the first posters are released.

"Attack of the Clones" is like the subway in summertime -- it's stinky but you're going to take it anyway. Again, and again, and again. :)

13. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    So... am I the only one who's really come to like the title, now that it's had a chance to settle in? Sure, we were all expecting something more cryptic, something darker. But Lucas continues to surprise us by going against the grain of what fans would expect.

Do I think it's an appropriate title? Without being spoilerific, on first glance, it seems about as appropriate as "The Vengeance of Darth Maul" would have been for Ep. 1.

But keep in mind - what has Lucas said about Ep. II?

- It's going to be darker in tone, a la "The Empire Strikes Back."
    - It's going to be a romance.
    - It will reflect the changes in the galaxy over the 10 years since "The Phantom Menace," with Palpatine further entrenching himself as Supreme Chancellor.

And what do we as fans want from this movie?

- Anakin and Obi-Wan kicking a** as padawan and master.
    - The evolving relationship between Anakin and Padme
    - The CLONE WARS!!
    - Something that more closely resembles "The Empire Strikes Back" than "The Phantom Menace" or "Return of the Jedi."

So... what does "Attack of the Clones" as a title tell us?

1) "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes," "Killer Klowns from Outer Space," and "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman" all seemed to spring to mind. Is that such a bad thing? They're kitchy fun, but so was "Star Wars," long before it was "A New Hope" (easily the *worst* title in the saga thus far... I still can't bring myself to call it that). Think about it - rusted spaceships, Luke and Leia swinging across a chasm, Chewbacca and the toaster droid, "I've got a very bad feeling about this," the metal dice in the Falcon's cockpit, "Open the blast doors!," Princess Leia's Cinnabon hair - the movie was extremely light-hearted despite the bigger, more serious conflict at its core. The biggest flaws in "Return of the Jedi" and "The Phantom Menace" were when the films took themselves too seriously. I think Lucas learned his lesson with Ep. I, and this title moves the saga back towards its roots.

2) CLONES! We've got clones! Sure, the title isn't "The Clone Wars," but does it really need to be titled that? I, for one, am glad a title in the saga doesn't come from a chunk of dialog uttered in a previous movie. If Ben had told Luke in Ep. 4 that Luke's training could lead to the return of the Jedi, would we have wanted that to be the title of Ep. 6? Fans would have criticized Lucas for being too literal. Besides - "Star WARS: Episode II - The Clone WARS" - isn't that redundant?

3) "Attack of the Clones" initially appears to be too limiting. What about the romance? What about Anakin and Obi-Wan? And Anakin's downfall? Go back 22 years - "The Empire Strikes Back" didn't sound like the title of a romance, and it didn't indicate that Luke was going to come into his own as a Jedi under Yoda's training. The Empire's attacks against the rebels served as a backdrop and a catalyst for much bigger things. If this film has been modeled after TESB, isn't it probable that the attack of the clones will also serve as a backdrop to something far greater?

This film carries a huge burden - it is either going to restore people's faith in the saga, tarnish the reputation of the original trilogy, or, worst of all, be mediocre. I'd rather have people fighting over "Star Wars" than saying "So what? Big deal!" And like it or not, Lucas has the whole world talking "Star Wars," nine months before its theatrical release without a single commercial or piece of paid promotion. He is the master.

- Steve

14. Cailinn-Sarr

Jul 23, 2001
    Good points but I still think the title suck's.I went to see "A New Hope" when it first came out in 77,so I've been with SW from the very begining."A New Hope" in my opinion is a very fitting & great name for the title,I didn't find it anywhere near chessey or silly,same for the following 2 films.I think there titles fit perfect with the films with nothing "50's" about them.I had the same problem with "TPM",I think that title bites also but I was still on line for the opening(not in NYC).Anyway I personally think the title is stupid but no body could pay me enough money not to take the day off of work & wait on line(this time I'll be on line at the Ziegfeld theatre) for the opening,after all,the bottom line is it's STAR WARS & that's enough for me.

15. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    i agree with cailinn, the title still sucks. i never thought that about any of the original trilogy- including a new hope which in my mind will always be star wars( cuz that's the way i saw it in 77). tpm didn't bother me, i was too happy that there was going to be more sw. of course i will end up seeing aotc many many times and buy it in all it's forms as they are released, not to mention the toys, collectibles etc. etc. but the title is just dumb.

16. Nightstalker1313

Nightstalker1313 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2001
    I think I can get use to it.

I think (hope) GL uses "The Clone Wars" for Episode III.

Everything in the prehistory to ANH indicated that the Clone Wars lasted for Years.

"Attack of the Clones" could be the events leading up to and the start of the War.

My opinion.

17. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Now that you mentioned Episode III, I am reminded of the words of Babylon 5's G'Kar:

"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments in transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."

Episode III: The Death of Hope ? "Let's watch TDOH... nah I just watched 'Death' last week..."

18. Nightstalker1313

Nightstalker1313 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2001
    Well if you really think about it . . .

Those of you that have heard the Radio Dramas- those "chapter" titles are weaker than "Attack of the Clones".

I wish I could give you exapmles- but I don't keep them here at work.

;)

19. Cailinn-Sarr

Jul 23, 2001
    Good one ObiWill,nice that someone else like's B5 also,great show.By the way your Jedi outfit looks great for one you made your self(unlike me at least you saved $900)I really like the blue color.I think the DEATH OF HOPE would be a great title,but I'll bet Lucas dosen't use it or anything like it.

20. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    Not to come off as angry or divisive, but the news that two-thirds of TheForce.Net readers don't like "Attack of the Clones" has prompted me to wonder where all this animosity is coming from. And I don't think it's the title. I think it has something more to do with the fact many people are so devoted to the classic trilogy that they are unable or unwilling to accept what George Lucas is adding to the canon.

Talkback sections on a certain mustard-yellow "cool" website have been overflowing with venom ever since LucasFilm announced "The Phantom Menace" as the title of Episode I. As that is a generic movie and TV site, it's understandable that a certain segment of its readership would be vocally opposed to the prequel trilogy. But to see that sort of bile flowing into so-called fan sites is troubling. Which leads me to the question:

What's so wrong about "Attack of the Clones" as the title of "Star Wars: Episode II"?

Some people say it sounds like a B movie title. So did "Return of the Jedi" and "The Empire Strikes Back." In fact, "Attack of the Clones" is only a minor variation on those two titles - it incorporates the "____ of the ___" structure of ROTJ, and it has the same literal, take-it-at-face-value, action-oriented theme as ESB. In fact, if we were to take the message board technology and two years' worth of vocal fan speculation and go back 21 years, how would people be reacting to "The Empire Strikes Back"?

- "Well, duh! What else is the Empire going to do?"
    - "It's too simple a title - it makes it sound like it's going to be one big battle!"
    - "It totally ignores Luke, Han and Leia."
    - "It makes it sound like a silly action film, when Lucas said it was going to be darker in tone."

The list could go on. But in the end, it was an incredible movie, and now the title has transcended its pulp roots and is revered as part of the Holy Trinity. Who's to say the same won't happen with "Attack of the Clones"?

Some people say it's too literal a title, and not very creative. Why weren't these people protesting "Jurassic Park III," "Rush Hour 2," and "Planet of the Apes"? At least "Attack of the Clones" is not just "Star Wars: Episode II."

Some people say it's a stupid title that will make fans look like losers in the eyes of those who don't value "Star Wars" the way we do. Have you ridiculed friends for wanting to see "Snatch" or "Pootie Tang"? Those titles are stupid *and* offensive.

Some people have been signing petitions to send to George Lucas. Hello? It's his galaxy - we're just visitors. If you truly believe he's not creative because of this title, it's time for a little perspective. This is his FIFTH entry in the saga. What had "Rocky" turned into by the fifth movie? Or "Friday the 13th"? Or "Star Trek"? (Especially "Star Trek"!) Yet, if we are to believe the spoilers and the set reports, this could easily be among the best of the "Star Wars" films.

How many of the people complaining about the title have come up with an idea as original and sweeping as "Star Wars," much less gotten it produced? If you truly believe this title destroys "Star Wars" as we know it, why don't you go out and create something original of your own, rather than tear down something Lucas has spent the last 30 years of his life creating?

I think it's time for everybody to take a deep breath... now exhale. It's only four words, one of which is nothing more than an article, and another that's just a preposition. Which leaves two action words "Attack" and "Clones" - both of which are cool things to contemplate within the context of the "Star Wars" universe. And we have a new "Star Wars" movie coming out in just over nine months. This should be a time of great celebration, not one of misery.

And that's my two cents, solicited or otherwise.

- Steve

21. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    After reading many arguements, both for and against "AOTC" I have been doing some thinking. At first I did not like the title at all, I was shocked, it was not what I expected, then again I had no idea what I was expecting. "Clone Wars" Maybe. Straight off thw bat I did not like the "Attack" word in there. As Steve said ROTJ is not much different, though The word Jedi made me see it as a "real" SW title.

Just a bit on each title

ANH: The is there movie where the Rebels have their first victory, therefore A New Hope makes perfect sense.

ESB, We have a Love Story, Luke Training, then when things come down to the end it is the Empire being Victorious, therefore, they Struck back at the rebels.

ROTJ: Jabba's Palace, Battle of Endor, etc. What does it come down to, Luke is the first of a new order of jedi AND Anakin is redemed, therefore we have Return of the jedi.

TPM: All throughout everything that is going on, it is Sidious as the "Phantom" pulling everyones strings from The Senate to the Jedi. It ends with Yoda and Mace Windu with out a clue on who this Sith was or who the Master/Apprentice is, therefore that title makes sense.

AOTC: Without spoilers, we know we will have a Love Story, we will see new Villians in Count Dooku, along with Jango Fett. I believe everything that will go on in this movie will lead up to the end of the movie where we see The Clones Finally have their all out attack, hence the title.

Now look at all the titles, they represent what happens at the end of each movie, so I think the AOTC title will work fine and everyone will see how it makes sense once they see Ep2.

I am getting a bit tired of the complaining myself. We are gonna see new Star Wars and we are gonna love it, What is the big deal about the title, look at all the other outragous and stupid sounding names in all 4 existing movies, I do not think anyone needs examples.

nuff said for now.

22. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Steve, you made some excellent points. I wonder if all this outright hatred stems from a "me too" mentality, or from a generation of mind control on the part of the media (which has done nothing but lambaste the title since day one). I was wrong to call the title "stinky," but I really wanted to work in that subway analogy. :)

It doesn't stink like the subway-- it's more like the slightly off-putting aroma of a world-class cheese, an aroma one might learn to like with time. Love the title or leave it, we'll all experience the creative genius of Lucas twenty times (or more) in the theaters.

Cailinn-Sarr: It's black and brown. The webcam doesn't pick up colors too well, making me look like the Jedi Smurf. :)

23. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    I don't understand any of the real animosity towards it either. It's not what I would have chosen, but then again these are not MY movies. Lucas IS entitled to name his films what he wishes. In defense of those so passionate about this, it is proof of the deep love they hold for Star Wars. Also please remember this IS STAR WARS we are talking about...anyone recall Blue Harvest? REVENGE of the Jedi? I remeber rumors flying in 1979 that the second in the trilogy would be called 'Vader Lives' because of the bumper stickers that were all over the place. The name could change ya know! :)

On a final note, it does not really matter what the heck he calls it. He could call it the 'Adventures Of Obi and Ani" because who among us will NOT be there opening day or as soon as we possibly can because we don't like the tile? ;)

24. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy about the title. However, GL could call it "EP.II TWO GUYS AND A YODA" and I'd go see it simply because it's SW.

and in the words of Ambassador Kosh "...and so it begins..."

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.