main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That doesn't justify anhything. If Lucas had lost the sense of what makes SW connect with people, how do you justify the success of the PT? No. If there is one person who know how to make Star Wars connect is Lucas.

What?

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    How do you justify the quite widespread negativity directed at the PT? Star Wars always has been and I suspect always will be box office. Regardless, commercial success is not the only measure. Transformers 3 made a stackload of cash. Doesn't mean people connected with it. It's only my opinion, based largely on anecdotal evidence.

3. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    A small voice of haters are loud. As I've pointed out over at Rotten tomatoes all the PT get high ratings from Critics and fans

4. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I disagree that GL "distanced" himself from critics. It's simply not true. He fired Kurtz 'cause the man can't do his job. He was chronically overbudget and has done basically nothing since 1985, when he went overbudget on Return To Oz (and GL had to bail his sorry butt out and come in as a silent consultant).

With TPM, GL continually sought feedback from everyone he knew, before, during, and after the filming. The night before shooting started he ran into Kasdan and actually asked him to come back to the Ranch and take a quick look at the script! It's true. Larry said, "No, George...I'm going to bed."

But if you look at GL's filmography his very best material, the best rounded and most satisfying emotionally, post-ANH is all collaborative; he's a brilliant collaborator. I have no doubt they've got the right scripter and with the right director, this is going to be one of the best fantasy films ever made.

http://fora.tv/2007/02/15/Little_Miss_Sunshine_Shooting_Script

He even sounds like GL a few times here. I can see them really getting along.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I still disagree but if that's the way you guys feel, fair enough.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    and thats a subjective opinion too .

FinleySlade likes this.
  7. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
  8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Has anyone found any links to any of his SW based talks?

9. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    He mentions SW in the ForaTV talk, but no, although I'm sure they'll surface soon, or he'll be interviewed by SW.com.

FinleySlade likes this.
  10. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    If this is true...it makes quite hopeful.:)

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I've got faith that he'll give us a quality script.
    If all goes well, he might be the writer of the entire trilogy...but that's going a bit too far ahead heh.

12. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    michael bay is a good hollywood director and will rock star wars.

hot babes and awesome action.

13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    That's some quality trolling right there...

14. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    You cabe find hot babes in about every action movie, but it shouldn't be the main draw.

His action is way over the top & uses slow motion far too much in his movies.

15. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Based on how many people there are that think Christopher Nolan would be a good choice to direct Episode VII, I'm pretty sure it's the audience that lost their connection to Star Wars, not George.

16. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Agree to disagree! When in Rome...

17. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you.

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Very well said.

You took my thoughts and made them into a coherent and well written article ;)

The last paragraph there is similar to a TIME Magazine opinion at the time of TPM's release, and I coined it earlier - if THE ILLIAD had had this much hype, many would have said Homer's lost it.

Of course, Episode VII, is going to be hyped through the atmosphere too and is going to get lamped by many people.

19. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Here's another Arndt interview.

He makes a lot of sense. You can see just why he was chosen.
    This is not someone who will "make SW cool".
    This is a writer who will dig deep and find a fresh way to get at the heart of SW.

http://www.eyecrave.net/features/interviews/3062-interview-with-writer-michael-arndt-toy-story-3

Thanks to the PT and TCW and the EU, we now have a deep knowledge of how the SWU works: economy, politics, cultures, history, military strategy, the Jedi and Sith etc. That's fine, but it's time to get back to the heart and build on all that knowledge and all the epic tragedy of the PT.

Arndt looks like the perfect person to do that!

QuangoFett and FinleySlade like this.
  20. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    i love that slow motion. espacialy with megan fox.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, dude, all we can do in life really is find a corner we like and be able to tell St. Peter we held it as best we could.

(I hope that is taken in the right way - fans of John B. Keane will understand)

You misunderstood my meaning in the script department - I meant that a lot of people criticise the PT writing but seem to think that the OT is sublime Patrick Kavanaugh-esque work of poetry.

It ain't.

And Jango is absolutely correct that the TPM was over hyped.

And the critiscism is often overly aggressive, eg that whole Lucas raped my childhood thing is just so disgusting on so many levels.

And these two can be put down to one simple factor - the Internet.

The over hype was primarily caused by Internet groups and a lot of people seem to lose - honestly don't know how to phrase it - but it's like they were the anonymity of the Internet as a mask and feel free to say what they like and others get caught up in it.

Add to that that people are, generally, more likely to make noise when unhappy and spend time ranting, than praise something.

I don't mean you, Finley, and I'm not saying that people who dislike the Prequels don't have a valid reasons (nor do they all get caught up in the stampede) but the ranting and critisism directed at Lucas is out of all proportion.

I have rambled a bit, but I hope it is understandable.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, if we all agreed the world would be a dull place.

Safer.

But dull.

;)

And there'd be no Star Wars :eek:

FinleySlade likes this.
  23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    No, totally understandable! All very good points!

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And the rest is history. I hope your beauty sleep was worth a million raped childhoods, pal.

GARTH EDIT: I think the gif was crossing the line, Arawn.

25. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    damn you, stupid connection error!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.