main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Luke's award ceremony jacket

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by TaunTaunHerder, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

I need a pattern for Luke's yellow jacket he wore
    at the awards ceremony.

Where can I find it?

[face_thinking]

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I did an complete modification of a jacket pattern adding the ribbed sleeves and other details. I had to take four times the length of the jacket sleeve to do the ribs and I used a light batting to give it the slightest bit of thickness for the ribs. The orignal jacket was a popular motor cycle jacket from the 70's.

[image=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ladyghst915/Celebration%203/CD56220-R1-014-5A.jpg]
    [image=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ladyghst915/cermjacket.jpg]
    [image=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ladyghst915/Celebration%203/LukeLeiaCeremonial.jpg]

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    You are unlikely to find a pattern for this - I had to draft one from an existing jacket done in leather. I have no idea how the person who made the leather version for my customer came up with a pattern. I made the jacket in light nylon with a thin batting layer.
    http://sistersola.com/luke.html
    If I can find the pattern I made last year I'll try and copy it for you.

4. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hey! I know that Luke! Annya, will you please pass on a hello to Ross from Carrie in Michigan if you have a chance? Haven't seen him since he moved to Florida.

(Sorry for the thread high-jack!)

Regards,
    M.

5. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    No problem....I will pass that on to him. He has missed the R2Detroit too. Yeah when he moved down here to Florida, I snapped him up and have been holding him (boyfriend)prisoner ever since... :D We live together in Spring Hill.

The Luke jacket was the first thing I made for him and now after 136 scouts for others, a dozen Royal Guards, Officers, Jedi and other costumes we are still having a great time costuming and trooping with the 501st Legion as well. I love it though when I can do the more intricate costumes of Padme and other more elegant characters.

6. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007

How much cabbage we talking about to
    make one for me ?

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Another costume on my "to do" list. :D

8. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have been researching this jacket, because the jacket worn by the Rebel Pilots on Hoth in ESB is largely the same and I want one of those for my pilot costume. However, I may be buying a finished jacket from a guy who may be making them later this year, however. Similiar jackets were also worn by Greedo, Ponda Baba ("Walrus man", who gets his arm cut off) and in the 70's sci-fi TV-series "Space 1999".

The material is not leather, but a nylon fabric that has some sheen to it like leather. A collector is in possession of one of the original yellow jackets and he describes the fabric as "like a Members Only-jacket". (unfortunately, that is all I know about the collector)

The torso consists of two largely rectangular front pieces, one back piece (mirroring the front) and two side-pieces per side. The front/back pieces are connected to the side-pieces with double-stitched seams going straight down.
    On the ceremonial jacket, there were pockets along the bottom of these seams that were covered with grey bias tape. There is also grey bias tape covering up the original zipper in the front.

The side-pieces reach up to the ribbing. Except for the ribbing, the sleeves are connected only to the side-pieces. This means that you could cut up a simpler jacket pattern into these pieces.

There is one ribbed rectangle per sleeve. The piece goes all the way down to the cuff, but the ribbing does not start but at least six inches from the cuff's edge. Each ribbed piece meets the collar at the top - they do not meet across the back. Each sleeve has two other pieces that meet at the underside - that seam connects to the seam between the two side-pieces.

The ribbing is made by stitching it together with padding and stitching between each rib. The entire jacket is fitted, padded and lined.

There is a slit on the left chest for a chest pocket with a triangular flap that closed with a snap. The flap is tucked inside the pocket and the remaining snap on the outside is covered with a yellow/black striped ribbon of some kind - possibly the same type of ribbon as the stripes on Luke's pants, but I am not sure.

The Pilot jacket is a little bit different.
    Most importantly, it has a puffy collar. It closes in the front, with a flap that closes with orange velcro. I don't know if there is a zipper behind the flap, but I would guess that there is. The chest pocket is an external pocket and has a window for a badge of some kind.
    There are no side pockets and the pattern is boxier and looser fitting - not fitted at the waist. It is made from a heavier fabric, but one which is somewhat plasticy - looking a lot like leather in some scenes.
    Even though it is intended for cold weather, it has less padding than the ceremonial jacket - I am inclined to believe that it has no padding or lining at all, but I am not 100% sure.
    Something that I am sure of, though, is that the ribbing on this jacket is done as box pleats, not by puffing up with padding as on the ceremonial jacket.

9. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Good for both of you! He's a neat guy!

Regards,
    M.

10. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007

Alrighty, then.

Thank you. Thank you all.

Mad props to my peeps, dawgs, and homies