main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Miana Kenobi, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HairyWookiee12

HairyWookiee12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2009
    Katara's mom wasn't a waterbender(at least I think I'm correct), if you remember in the show there was one waterbender in the south pole which was Katara. When the fire nation attacked they were looking for the only waterbender in the village and Katara's mom wanted to keep Katara safe so she posed as the only waterbender and was killed.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    One of the episodes had a pair of identical twins. One was a bender, one wasn't. According to the author's commentary, this was done deliberately to disprove the idea that bending is genetic, or at least not just genetic (since you do need to be of a certain nationality to bend.)

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    OK, I started watching book 2, and I'm wondering why I'm bothering. Cave of the Two Lovers and The Swamp were both annoying as hell.
    Actually, the main thing that annoys me with these stories is that so many of the adults are complete idiots. Maybe it was intended as comic relief, and maybe it works with kids, but it doesn't work for me. Sure, the uncle pretending to be daft to hide his wisdom and try to teach the nephew at least has a story to it. As did the old king pretending to be senile. But here we had obnoxious hippies and worse cajun/hicks.

So, last time I was ready to give up was after what I'm told was the worst episode of the series. Now I'm ready to give up again. For those who have watched the whole thing: given what I've just typed, do you think it's worth my time to keep trying?

4. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    Season 2 is kinda alot of filler, that is until they meet Toph. So, if you really just wanna see the non-filler episodes, watch these episodes in Book 2: 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah the Earth book is kinda boring overall but it is def worth hanging in to finish. There is quite a moving epi in Book 2 with no Aang(or little of him) that shows everyone else for segments. Iroh is great in that one.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You can skip some stuff... but there are some really really great stories in Book 2.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Cave of Two Lovers is one of my favorite silly episodes, just for my nomads.

But definitely hang in there. Season 3 is EPIC.

8. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    Season 3 had ALOT of filler.

9. Chipster92

Chipster92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2008
    Season 3 did actually have alot of filler, but it's mostly relegated to the first half of the season. The second half of the season, starting with the Day of Black Sun two-parter is where things really start picking up and from then on it's like an exciting race to the finish (except for a slight roadblock with the Ember Island Players episode, but that one was mostly just a comedy relief breather before the big finale). Try to stick it out if you can.

10. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Pfft, There are filler episodes in every series. The challenge is to make them enjoyable, which Avatar: The Last Air Bender does regularly.

watch the filler episodes too. They're usually funny, and most have good character moments too, and if you don't want those, why the heck do you even care enough to watch the non-filler episodes in the first place?:confused:

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Colbert, regarding Bin Laden's death:

"In the eye! Hey, Osama- I guess no 3D movies for you in hell! (which, I'm pretty sure would be The Last Airbender)"

[face_laugh]

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    :confused:

13. Chipster92

Apr 22, 2008
    Since the "Avatar: Legend of Korra" thread seems to be locked, I figured I would put this here(even though it has NOTHING to do with the shyamalan movie), it relates to the original animated series. The San Diego Comic Con panel was yesterday, and the creators of the show( Mike DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko) were there, and alot of information was told about the new sequel series, "Legend of Korra". basically here's what what we found out;

http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/news.php?year=2011&month=7#n578

There was also a trailer shown at the panel:

http://youtu.be/9T38e8XzsuU

From the looks of things, the animation quality has been stepped up immensely. The original Avatar series had some AMAZING animation(especially in the "Sozin's Comet" series finale), but so far, the animation for "Legend of Korra" looks MOVIE quality, like an actual feature-film! It reminds me of something from Hayo Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. The art direction and the background paintings look beautiful as well. I'm also liking how badass and tomboyish Korra herself she seems to be. Quite a contrast from Aang and his semi-pacifist ways. The modernization of the world is also quite intriguing to me. I'm interested to see how the bending arts of the past come to clash with the machinery and technology of the future. Overall I can't wait for this show to start airing summer of 2012! It can't get here fast enough!

14. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Korra is looking awesome! I like the animation, the polar bear dog, the brothers, and the firebender named Mako. =D=

I also like the idea of less bending and more hand-to-hand martial arts, if they're going that way, it interests me more than fighting with magic powers, or even weapons.

And aside from this series, may I say Thundercats also looked very cool.

15. Chipster92

Apr 22, 2008

Yeah. The creators say that they're aiming for the new show to have a TV-PG rating, as they want to do darker and more mature stuff with this series, and they don't want to have to tone anything down just to please the Nickelodeon censors, like they had to for the original series(which was only rated TV-Y7). I think it would be a first for the Nickelodeon network, but hopefully Mike and Bryan will get their wish.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Legend of Korra has, also, unfortunately been screwed by James Cameron and now the title is "The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra" because Cameron has Avatar copywritten. What a dink.

17. Chipster92

Apr 22, 2008

Ugh, Cameron. You know I used to like his movies back in the day. Terminator 1&2, and Aliens are all still sci-fi action movie classics. The film he made recently with the blue cat people was okay, but WAYYYYY too overhyped. The best part about it was the visual effects and that's it. I refuse to call that thing "Avatar". I'm sorry Mr. Cameron, but the "Avatar" that I know and love was bald, had an arrow on his head, and could bend the elements, he wasn't some smurfy feline-humanoid!

18. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Do you know what I'm looking forward to the most? M. Night getting round to making a movie of Legend of Korra and casting a no-name Blonde White Girl as the titular character and certain elements of fandom bending over backwards to explain why she's the best actress for the job. [face_whistling]

19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    =D=
    =D=
    [:D]
    =D=

20. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    When I first heard of Cameron's Avatar, I thought it was going to be the Avatar: The Last Airbender adaptation. [face_plain]

21. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    For some reason, I wasn't expecting more of the same old complaints about James Cameron and M. Night Shyamalan after getting an awesome trailer and info about the new series.

22. Chipster92

Apr 22, 2008
    Apparantly, Viacom has begun taking down the Legend of Korra trailers from Youtube, so if you still haven't seen it yet, it would be best to do so now.

23. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    :D :D I started a new thread for KORRA, since the old one is locked. A part of me wants this one to die and stay dead while another part of me would like to be able to get hold of it whenever I feel like spending a few hours re-reading the casting debate and working myself into a blind rage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.