main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Major Error in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by A1Alpha, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    Shilley: I haven't seen people bash the movies as much as they bash they EU. [face_plain] The EU is bashed way more than the movies, just because it continues to the saga...

2. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    or destroys it....

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Tarkin is a politician. He is the govenor of Eriadu, an industrialized planet in the outer rim (or mid?). All he has to do is think of an idea, and get a team on it. Of course since he thought about it, he'll take credit and probably patent the notion. Then he gets Bevel Lemilisk to hammer out the details. Happens everyday, you know, large corporations have teams of inventors working in their offices...

It's kind of the same concept as some rich guy named Everest going to a foreign land, which has the oldest dated civilization, and pompously calling it "Mount Everest". Did he invent the mountain? No he was the first white guy to climb it, so I guess that gives him the right to name it after himself.

Also the Earl of Sandwich "invented" sandiches? Yeah right. He saw the surfs in "his" village having sandwiches (like they've done since bread) and named it after himself.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Hee Hee! I got you guys all riled up w/ my comment from Vader to Tarkin. :p Sorry I can quote the movie word for word, but sometimes get things out of context.

OK you are all right, he says it to Admiral Motti and that further proves the point that Tarkin had nothing to do w/ Designing the Death Star.

5. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    or destroys it....

No, nitpicking destroys it. Not a continuing a story.

6. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    How do we know that Tarkin had nothing to do with it? Honestly tell me exactly where it is shown in the movies that Tarkin had absolutly nothing to do with the Death Star.

And when Vader said that line, scince when does it mean that Motti built the DStar? He says you, but dont you think he really means the people in that room, the entire group associated with the thing?

Like i said, you can spin something however you like, so just keep spinning until you get dissy for all i care.

7. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    Tarkin could still have helped design it ya know. Just because they don't mention him at all, doesn't mean he doesn't.

Does anybody mention other people besides Bill Gates for making windows? Nooooooooo, and there were other men who designed windows.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Shilley: I haven't seen people bash the movies as much as they bash they EU. The EU is bashed way more than the movies, just because it continues to the saga...

You have GOT to be kidding. The movies are bashed all the time. The EU is practically sacrosanct.

9. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I think Vader was speaking about the Empire in general when he said "You." I doubt Motti personally constructed the Death Star.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    No, nitpicking destroys it. Not a continuing a story.

The EU doesn't continue the story of SW. It perverts and warps it.

11. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    You have GOT to be kidding. The movies are bashed all the time. The EU is practically sacrosanct.

Pffh! Yeah, right! Everytime there is a question or mistake noticed in the movies, the EU gets blamed for false info. It's not the EU's fault that Lucas changes his mind every five seconds.

Whatever, believe what you want, but I doubt you have ever been in the Lit forum, judging how strongly you are against the EU. So you wouldn't exactly know, would you?

12. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I constructed the Death Star!!!!

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Other authors write the books.

GL approves the books.

But GL doesn't have to agree with what's in the books if it contridicts with what he wants to happen.

ST

14. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i dont know if that is bashing or nitpicking, and i would agree that nitpicking is bad, becuase that just makes the person picking look like a fool and no one wants to hear that anyway.

But most nitpicking takes place over plot holes, which the movies are riddled with.

15. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001

Oh, really? Give me an example. I think you're being biased, however. I at least allow you to have your opinion and I respect it. At least have the courtesy to treat my opinion the same way.

I can see no way how the EU warps and perverts the story of SW. SW is a story for the fans. It's fiction. It's made for people to enjoy.

Heck, here's a piece of advice: If you don't like it, don't read, smell, touch, taste, or talk about it! Much easier that way, isn't it?

16. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    yes- doesnt Anakin fall into a pot hole in Episode III?? Sorry??? oh...you said plot hole... oooopss! [face_blush]

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Who cares about this thing you call "canon?" [face_plain] You can howl with glee all you want about the "parallel universes" statement from the Flanneled One, but NEVER has there been ANY comment from him on what is or isn't "canon." That is a wholly LFL-derived notion.

So here's how the movies & EU in fact DON'T contradict without ever having to resort on that crutch called "canon."

It's obvious that there is a difference between the holographic image seen on Geonosis and the finished product that blew up Alderaan. It's not a big stretch to say that in the 25+ years between the conceptualization and completion of the Death Star that more than one mind had something to do with its design, re-design, & final construction.

Here's the gauntlet I throw down at anyone who chooses to debate the point: I defy anybody to challenge or support my argument without having to hide behind the notion of "canon".

Please. Use. Your. Brains. People.

18. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    Jedi Merkurian: Here, here! :)

19. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    i see EU bashed so much- but i have not yet seen hard evidence that it is bantha poodoo. i'm open minded to all contributions to convince me either way. :)

20. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    I would agree with you, we dont know what GL has going through his mind. Alot could happen in the 25 years that seperate the trilligies. Its not a matter of what is 'canon' and what is not. if you look there is very little in the EU that is even in that time period. Like i have be saying ovber and over agian, we dont know the true implecations, all we saw in the movie was a little snippit. The image of the death star was just that, and we dont know much about it simply from that one little teaser that GL gave us. The movie gives us no history about it and people just go off and invent their own story, assuming what is going to happen. What people forget is to assume makes an A$$ out of you and me ;) But no matter what, GL is bound to come up with something and we are gonna be debating it a whole lot more.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    quietlunatic and Darth_Holliday created a thread to provide answers on why they think the EU "perverts and warps" SW. They explain it better than anyone else could:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7147150

(Note: I am taking no stance in this argument. The above thread was created for this reason, so I'm posting the link to it)

22. Darth_Bendover

Darth_Bendover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Actually most of you are wrong. GL has said that the movies are concrete history. The expanded universe in books, comics and whatever else are enjoyable expansions to his universe and all information therein can be upheld or vetoed by anything within the movies!

23. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Shelley: The EU doesn't continue the story of SW. It perverts and warps it.

There will definately be individual books and stories that aren't truly the greatest, and IMO they don't deserve to be part of the Star Wars saga. But on the whole, I find that the EU is a great addition to the saga. It doesn't really intrude on the movies that much, it supplements them. The instances where inconsistencies are found are usually easily solved or the movie takes precedence :)

24. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001

Once again you state something as a fact when it is really nothing more than your opinion.

I'm certainly not saying that you have to like or even tolerate the EU. By all means, hate it if you wish, but don't try to state your opinions as though they are fact.

Quote from George Lucas:

"They exist outside my universe."

How does this make the Expanded Universe not canon?

They don?t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies.

Note how he says a "select period of time", which implies that the Expanded Universe expands on the Galactic History other than his "select period of time".

No. It is not canon

Where does anyone or anything say that the EU isn't canon?

and it never will be canon.

I'm impressed. You can see the future :)

The EU sucks.

The EU sucks in your opinion.

25. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Okay, this isn't exactly on the topic of the Death Star's creation, but I think this thread kind of swayed away from that some time ago.

Rather, I have a question for the "movies-only fans" (or "purists" if that's what they are referred to as):

Why stop with the movies?

Why, with a mythos as wonderfully diverse and imaginative as Star Wars, would anyone want to limit the ammount of stories told in that universe? Why do the films, aside from the fact that they are films, have more credit and respectability than the novels, comics, etc.?

If you love Star Wars (and I can't imagine you would be on this board otherwise) why wouldn't you always want more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.